1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. EmilG

EmilG Member AMS2 Club Member

Everyone with stuttering problems or Fram drops please read the 2 links below.

I'm on a 2060 super and ryzen 5 3600, I've rolled back my NVIDIA driver to the one mentioned in the link and I now run supersampling on %150 and almost all in game graphics settings to ultra (shadows medium, reflections high, grass detail low), and I'm running consistent 90fps. No stuttering or Fram drops in rain or at night on any track. Guys, this roll back to an older version of graphics driver has changed my experience completely. I used to have to run everything on low settings and super sampling at 60% just to keep steady frames. I was going to spend thousands for new graphics card and CPU, but I'm so lucky I found the below links first.

{{MetaTags.og.title}}

And

SteamVR - SteamVR Hotfix 1.15.19 - Steam News

2. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Member

This has been an issue for over a year I’m afraid. This is a great solution for those on older cards but sadly this driver does not install on 30 series cards.

3. EmilG

EmilG Member AMS2 Club Member

It's such a shame for those with 30 series cards, and I've read through here a lot and it seems because of the driver issues they are experiencing lack luster performance, and are blaming it on Reiza, not realising it's a graphic driver issue

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I pretty much came to the same conclusion. I've had really nice performance using full grids and weather effects with my 2080TI on a 60hz 4K monitor and been surprised by the problems reported by 3 series owners. Can't speak to VR atm but will get to that eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Yup - I'm getting solid performance with a 2080Ti in VR, even with rain and night. I have reduced from 90 Hz to 80 Hz to keep some headroom - I'm not sensitive enough to notice a difference luckily!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Diego Brando

Diego Brando New Member

For most the nvidia stutter has been solved. I already solved it months ago by uninstalling all monitoring software and striping the old drivers to bare minimum. Now I don’t need that at least anymore. 3080 and no pink bars anymore.

7. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I notice your sig has a 3080TI in it. Did you swap a 3080 for 3080TI and if so did it help with rain/night driving in AMS2? I have 3080/11900K and get stutters when car headlights come on (night/rain) at various points on various tracks. Can’t explain the dips either. Sometimes there are no other cars in sight and still get the odd stutter.

can pretty much run max settings if there are no headlights on. I am running a Vive Pro @ 90hz , 471.11 driver. HAGS ON/OFF makes no difference.

8. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

On a 2070 super I finally have settings that work. Unfortunately I can't use motion smoothing anymore. Every track now has sections where for some reason the fps dips below 45 (to 43 or something) creating judder/stutter. This despite the fact that the gpu is around 60% or so. Something happeneded in the latest installment that causes this, because I never had this issue before 1.2

Now I rely on low settings to keep 90fps in sunny conditions (overcast has no effect on performance for me). MSAA is off, post process AA is SMAA ultra (subtle, but no performance impact) Resolution is 1900x1900 pixels per eye. Most other stuff medium or low.
    There are still tracks that have sections that cause the fps to dip, most notable SPA, espescially around the crowded start area after the first corner. But otherwise it is constant 90 fps, which is pretty nice. There is some shimmer and aliasing, but the smoothness makes up for it.

I did not try night racing. I'm afraid there I would need motion smoothing, which does not work that well for me anymore in this game.

9. Diego Brando

Diego Brando New Member

Doubt a 3080ti can fix that... it barely has more performance

10. Guillem Castro

Guillem Castro New Member

How can i see the fps i my vr???

11. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

12. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Yup - FPSVR is great for monitoring frame rate in realtime. Another way to check is to use Afterburner frame rate graph - the overlays don't work in VR (I don't think) so this can only be done by checking the graph history on the desktop.

13. marc phelps

marc phelps Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi
    You have a very similar system to me
    Struggling with framerate drops on a vive pro 2
    What FPS are you getting? I had a look at the video on your channel and its looks pretty good!
    Also where is the HAGS?

14. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Member

HAGS is hardware accelerated gpu scheduling and is part of Windows 10. If you type graphics settings in the search bar and click on it you can switch it on or off. Needs a reboot after. Used to need it off but now works better on for me.
    As for FPS, as I use motion smoothing forced on it will always show 45fps.

Can’t get 90fps on the HP reverb G2 without lowering the supersampling down to 50% ish and turning down game settings.

15. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

It's a Global setting in the Nvidia control panel. It's similar to prerendered frames setting in PCars2 from my understanding. Basically setting it to Ultra turns OFF prerendered frames which is what you need for VR.

Yea I swapped form a 3080 to a 3080Ti and noticed a big difference. I noticed a huge difference when I swapped from the 2080Ti to the 3080. It totally helped with stuttering during rain races, in that I don't get any stuttering in rain races even with the reflections set to MEDIUM. With the settings I run, running night races with head lights I didn't notice much stuttering compared to the 3080. So for me it was a great upgrade from the 3080.

Past reviews of the HAGs showed that it only benefitted lower end systems with slower CPUs or GPUs while actually slowing down faster CPU/GPU combos. Maybe they have improved upon it now. I might have to give it a shot and test it out. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  16. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

Would someone please show their nvidea settings used for this sim. I have just bought a 3070 laptop and have no idea what to change (if anything) after using AMD for the last 20 years. Thank you ❤️

17. vvvnew

vvvnew New Member

Weird though. The performance difference is 10-15% max. Shouldn't be the difference between stuttery unplayable mess and smooth gameplay.

18. Guillem Castro

Guillem Castro New Member

Why when I choose to open the game in steamvr, it opens in the oculus app?? Why?? Anybody has this issue??

19. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Should've said 2080Ti to 3080. Fixed now.

Anyways, even the 15% bump was enough for me to get a very smooth experience with rain. I noticed running MSAA medium and Reflection medium hits the GPU 3D processing hard. Reflections hits even harder when you have rain on the track and the GPU has to calculate all the reflections on the track surface. Without Reflections on medium it's very hard to spot puddles in VR.

On my 3080 3D processing would get maxed out in task manager when there was rain on the track and it would cause stuttering. On the 3080Ti with the settings I use; there is enough head room with the GPU 3D processing and the GPU is able to deliver 90fps on the G2 without any stutters.

If you play with the settings while keeping your Task Manager active and watch all the GPU graphs, you start to realize which settings affects what part of the GPU.
    Eg: SS affects GPU vram more.

20. vvvnew

vvvnew New Member

Stutters have more to do with optimization than the hardware. I get 80-85 fps in rain (which must be playable) but feels like its much lower than that.

While on pcars 2, i get around 80fps avg during rain but feels super smooth and no stutters. Looks like your just trying to justify your purchase of a card made solely for the purpose of grabbing cash during a world wide shortage and has little improvement over the 3080 (like 10%) in relation to price (70%)

• Dislike Dislike x 4