1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. lianjieyiqie

lianjieyiqie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a RTX3060 notebook, 1080p.
    How can I get a good balance of graphic and fps?:(

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

For a try, reduce shadow settings, turn advanced mirrors off, go lower with the particle settings, do not use super sampling but normal anti aliasing.

3. Racerhorst

Racerhorst New Member

thank you it worked :)

4. hb22

hb22 Member

I'm VR my trackside replay camera stays in just one place, does anyone know how to control it to change cameras like in 2d mode please?

5. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You have to press the cycle track camera key manually in VR. As far as I know it’s been like this always.

On monitor it cycles automatically as the cars move round the track.

I would like to see the option of a fixed camera and cycling trackside camera as well.

6. hb22

hb22 Member

Ah there is a key bind for this? I will take a look next time I play. I guess they thought auto-switching could be nausea inducing but yes it would be nice to have the option !

7. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Yes, you can bind keys to previous and next replay camera.

8. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

I play with an Oculus Rift S. I also own Project Cars.

I noticed that Project Cars was just slightly clearer and smoother in VR than AMS2.

So I looked in the user folders for both games, and there were two files in there for each game with the same names.

I backed up the AMS2 DX11config and the Oculusconfig files for AMS2, then copied the ones from Project Cars into the folder, and then launched AMS2. It was now just as clear and smooth as Project Cars. Beautiful in VR.

I also use the Oculus Debug Tool in the Oculus software Support folder to turn off ASW, force mipmaps with a 0.4 bias, set pixel density to 2.0, and set curvature to High.

With all this, AMS2 is the smoothest, best looking VR experience that I have ever had. It makes racing or just turning meditative laps at my favorite tracks a real pleasure. You feel like you're really there, really driving.

9. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

I assume its the
    <prop name="SharpeningStrength"
    <prop name="SharpeningClamp"
    <prop name="OffsetBias"

lines in graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml
    Its originally the same as in pCARS2 in default.
    It was often discussed in pCARS2 forums and i think you have set this manually to other values long time ago.
    And forgot about that fact ;)

10. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

Actually, I only recently installed AMS2, and have never touched the files.

The files that I copied over were from PCars 1. I have no idea what the difference is, but it noticeably improved clarity and smoothness in VR with an Oculus Rift S.

11. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

Just an additional note, I installed PCars 2 yesterday, after my previous posts. Turned a few laps at Watkins Glen and Road America with Mark Donahue's '69 Z28. It was not terribly clear in VR, nor smooth.

So I did the same thing that I had done with AMS2, copied the PCars 1 OculusDX11 and OculusConfig files into the game's folder under My Documents. It had the same effect that it had on AMS2. It cleared up and smoothed out nicely.

Whatever is providing the clearer, smoother performance on Oculus Rift S with this trick, it's in those files from PCars 1. It helps both AMS2 and PCars 2.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wolfgang Herold

you are a typical user, who just does something and is happy with the result. W/o wanting to know what it was. If there had just changed one entry, then your trail&error would have forced a crash.
    Beleave me, its the sharpening and filter settings.
    It was discussed here in in the pCARS forums. Long time ago.

13. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

Well, all I know is that whatever is in the PCars 1 config files, it makes the picture much clearer and much smoother. You referenced PCars 2 when discussing the sharpening and filter settings that were discussed long ago. But what I did FIXES PCars 2.

Perhaps I'm a bit of a pragmatist, but if it works, it works. I don't feel a need to sift through the files and find the specific entry responsible for the improvement. If you dig through the PCars 1 config files and compare the differences between those and the AMS2 and PCars 2 config files, maybe you can figure it out. I'd rather be doing other things. If my mentioning this helps anyone, great. But I don't feel compelled to make a career of figuring it out.

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Touc

Touc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

ive just changed from a GTX1080 to a RX 6900XT any good guides to get me going

edit = Quest 2

15. Wolfgang Herold

put all sliders to the right :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. hb22

hb22 Member

Does anyone know if there has been any research done on what the different track quality and car quality and other options means in terms of visuals and vr performance impact?

17. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

I haven't seen any guides. Experimentation is probably the best way to dial it in on your machine.

I'd offer some advice, but I recently retired my 1080 machine and replaced it with a new NZXT monster. I have everything set to maximum, plus I force the highest quality possible with the Oculus Debug Tool. It still looks great and runs fast and smooth. The new PC seems to handle anything well.

Things like shadows, mirrors, and reflections usually have a heavy impact. Texture quality typically relates to how much video memory your graphics card has onboard. Heavy detailed grass is usually an FPS-killer as well.

Do some tinkering and experimentation and you'll soon figure out what your PC does and does not like. I may be wrong, but AMS2 doesn't seem too hard to run at very high settings. Good luck! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

19. BobS

BobS New Member

Can you upload the files?

20. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is the default pcars settings file. Compared with default AMS2 - most of the pcars defaults are lower which would account for improved perf. As for being 'clearer'; that can be pretty subjective.

Attached Files: