1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I recently bought a Pico 4 headset and a RTX 4080 and got it working in AMS2.
    It works fine although the menus (text) are sharp, but the scenery is blurry.
    The FPS were fine (at night in the rain, no stuttering).
    So to resolve the unclear (blurry) image I tried OpenXR.
    I’m still struggling with the keys to navigate and change the values (CTRL+F1, F2, F3).
    I finally got it running, but….
    Starting AMS2 it starts way below me. I have to look down at a 45 degree angle. The windows of AMS and the menu shows about 5m under me.
    While racing I hover about 5m above the track.
    In SteamVR I could recenter, but with OpenXR recentering doesn’t work.
    Does anybody know how to solve this issue (in OpenXR)?

2. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Can you not just bind a key to the VR recenter in camera controls (assignments section in AMS2 settings menu)?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wilfred de Ruijter

When I am not ready ín the car, the position of my viewpoint is also too high (I have to look down to see the menu). But I will try.

4. RodentYell

RodentYell New Member

Are we going to get practice sessions and adjustable weather and times in a championship mode?

5. Wilfred de Ruijter

I tried to change my viewpoint:
    upload_2023-1-25_23-0-56.png
    The text that says 'CTRL+DOWNN' is horizontally ahead. The menu is about 45 degrees downwards.
    upload_2023-1-25_23-2-43.png
    I couldn't go lower than this (this is the ín car position!, not the roof cam).

6. Wilfred de Ruijter

I recorded also this part and you can see me change the camera (and blow up the engine :p).
    https://youtube.com/shorts/lXne5jyPtHk

Now is the question: Does anybody know how to solve the issue with the correct driver position?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  7. Ramrod

Ramrod New Member

You need to bind two buttons on your steering wheel. Start AMS2, go to Options, then Controls, then Edit Assignments. Now go to Camera & View. Bind Cycle Camera to button on your wheel & bind Centre VR Headset to a button on your wheel. I also bind seat forward, backward, up, down to a Dpad on my wheel. Now go into a test day, put on your headset when the car loads and press the Centre VR Headset button, now press the cycle camera button until your are in the cockpit view.

8. Ramrod

Ramrod New Member

You can adjust the seating position to make it more comfortable using the Seat forward, back, up and down buttons. Suggest to bind these to a Dpad or pov button on your wheel if available.

9. Wilfred de Ruijter

As you can see, the menu is also way to low. So I would imagine that has to be another solution.

10. Ramrod

Ramrod New Member

On my system I press the Centre VR Headset button that I have key binded to my wheel while on the menu screen and the menu will be centred.

Also, you DO NOT need to have the Open XR toolkit menu open to centre your view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ramrod

Ramrod New Member

Maybe send a screenshot of your keybindings from the Camera and View settings.

12. LooseyMoosey

LooseyMoosey Member

Have you actually binded the Recenter VR button?

Ramrod is correct. You can use this button on the menu too.

Are you pressing the Recenter VR button while you're wearing the headset?

Seat settings are also stored per car so make sure these are all at 0 and try again.

If you've done all this and it still isn't working, sounds like a Pico problem.

13. Wilfred de Ruijter

I will try binding the recenter key in AMS2 (I recentered in the Pico). If it doesn't work I will go to the OpenComposite OpenXR thread, because if I change the openvr_api.dll from OpenXR to the default, it's normal again.

14. Wilfred de Ruijter

It worked! :) Thanks for your help.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wilfred de Ruijter

Finally I have OpenXR working, but the image is not very clear. So I disabled OpenXR to get a clear image of AMS2. Unfortunately, I don't get a crisp clear picture of the track.
    With the best settings I could find I enabled OpenXR again and tried to get the FPS a bit higher.
    [​IMG]
    I get 90 fps with these settings. It is the track and the scenery further ahead that isn't very clear, yet. Which item can I change to get a better quality of the image?

16. Cooknn

Cooknn Member

I would select CAS instead of NIS. Set it to 75% and see if that helps. Do you have PPD options with the Pico 4? If so, make sure you're on the highest.

17. Wilfred de Ruijter

I don't have any DDP options that I know of. The CAS selection gave me more options, but the image wasn't getting clearer. I'm still looking for the best settings.

18. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You can also experiment with these settings in your graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml file:
    <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="0.700000" />
    <prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.090000" />

19. lensman45

lensman45 Member

I'm also using a Pico 4 with AMS2 and getting a very good sharp detailed display.
    How are you streaming to the headset?
    I'm using virtual desktop. I set VD to maximum resolution (Godlike), sharpening to 75% and keep Steam resolution at 100%.
    As someone else has posted, it's also worth tweaking the ini file to try different sharpening effects.

20. Wilfred de Ruijter

I am using Virtual Assistant (cable). VD used to be better, but I read both are good. The menu, text and cars (close) are sharp, but the scenery and cars far away are (too) blurry.
    Today I spend a lot of time trying settings using SharpeningStrength. I didn't get much better. So now I have to try with de SharpeningClamp and the OffsetBias.