What happened to Controllers? Now my wheel is gone....

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by LuisB, Nov 12, 2021.

1. LuisB

LuisB New Member

Hello,

Have been a user of AMS2 for more than a year. It is my main go-to sim. Everything used to work.

Lately, I think after the last upgrade, my wheel does not steer. The buttons on the wheel, as well as the paddles gear up/down do work. Just the steering doesn't.

What is more, no matter what I try (see list below), I cannot get it to work. Please help if you can.

Thanks

System
    • Fanatec DD1 + Formula V2 wheel/rim
    • Latest AMS release (V1.2.5.1.1839.AVX)
    • Latest Fanatec drivers (wheelbase 686, wheelbase motor 40, steering wheel 41, wireless quick release 6). All up to date.
      • The fanatec calibration tool works perfectly, steering and buttons
      • The wheel works fine in other titles (e.g. AC, ACC, ETS2, etc)
    Things I have tried
    • Selecting different Fanatec options in the CONTROLS-->CONTROL SCHEME page
    • Selecting CUSTOM in that page and trying to assign the inputs
      • No matter what I do, I get "Multiple inputs detected, cannot assign" or something like that
    • Deleting the "profiles" folder within the local Automobilista 2 folder structure, and recreating everything
    • Playing/trying in VR, to see if that fixes it. The problem shows up (as expected, really) on both triples and VR
    In between when the system was "working" and now there's been really nothing special happening, other than the automatic update to the latest AMS2 release (the one a few days ago).

I have tried searching, and have tried the above fixes with no luck. Hopefully you can recommend a different path that works.

Thank you

2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. LuisB

LuisB New Member

4. LuisB

LuisB New Member

Tried the suggested path, which is summarized below:
    - - -
    Finally worked it out! I tried a gazillion of things on internet, and what worked for me was:
    1. Clean the profiles folder to start from a clean slate
    2. Start AMS2 and ONLY select custom wheel + separate pedals
    3. Exit AMS2 and start True Drive from Simucube 2
    4. The slider for the steering range only allows a minimum of 180 degrees. However, if you type a value, it will take it. Put 50 degrees of steering range and push it to the SC2
    5. Start AMS2 again and go to the "assign" menu, and do the left and right axis.
    6. With this very low steering lock, it detected both right away (before it wasn't the case)
    7. After assigning, EXIT AMS2
    8. Back to True Drive and revert to 900 degrees, and publish again to SC2
    9. Start AMS2 and calibrate the wheel now with the correct "steering range" value

- - -

But it unfortunately did not work for me :-(

For step 4, I used Fanatec's Control panel, and brought [SEN] as low as I could, to 90degs, as the picture below shows. [Note: in the many threads I saw, there was a post where a user got it to work using 120degs, so I tried that as well for good measure, with similarly disappointing results]
    upload_2021-11-12_14-4-44.png

The results, as before, was "multiple inputs detected", as the picture below shows.
    upload_2021-11-12_14-10-17.png

I am hoping somebody has some more advice. The game is obviously unplayable, and it is the best sim I have :-(

Thanks again,
    Luis

5. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Another thing you could do is unplug everything, except the wheel and see if it assigns, and then work your way up by plugging everything back. Perhaps the pedals are sending inputs, etc.

6. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

To avoid the "multiple inputs detected" error move your wheel ~360° in the direction you want to assign and then back to center immediatly. If you turn it too far or hold it at 360° you'll get the error. Madness Engine bug, holdover from PC2.

Maybe turn off FFB while assigning to make it easier.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. LuisB

LuisB New Member

YES, YES, YES!

Just tried it, and it immediately worked.

THANK YOU!

(Before, I was not coming back to center)

• Like Like x 4