1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's up with the AI?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Guilherme Bencke, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Come on, since when does any sim realistically model AI "strategic" decisions? If the player is the only one capable of such actions then it's a pointless feature anyway. I'm far more interested in AI that can drive realistically/believably than AI that randomly chooses to pit a few laps early.

2. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Anyway, I originally was merely highlighting this particular bug, it's not an either/or situation where only one can be fixed - I obviously want them all to be fixed. :)

3. Michno

Michno New Member

Sorry but the only thing that popped into my head while reading the title was

"What is up with the air line food?"

4. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This actually annoys the hell out of me in AMS1. One of the ways the AI gets the illusion of competence in that game is by being glued to the track in all but catastrophic collisions. I hope that changes to AMS2 AI won’t include that “feature”.

5. Balamacab

Balamacab Member AMS2 Club Member

I fell in Automoblista 2 the Ai is like in Project Cars 2, the AI is racing without simulation (tire, gravity, rebound, etc); the Ai cars are just glue to the ground and at a constant pace, and as others describe the Ai cars woke up with unfair advantages when the player gets near... to the point that the Ai cars take curves a lot faster that the player without loosing control (or fighting for control).
    And as in Project cars 2.. It's not fun to the point that I stop playing it for now.
    It would be better for all car grid to have simulated physics, and driving...
    Looking forward for updates

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Hector

Hector New Member

It is very difficult to keep up with the AI, especially Formula cars.

I don't know if the strengh slider AI works, sometimes setting 0 or 100 is almost the same.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't have many negatives concerning the sim. Very few in fact. However, the AI is my biggest gripe at present. Once the AI is alerted to the player it goes nuts, just like in PC2. Same behavior. I love the Camaros, but won't drive them because the AI go around the track on rails. They literally take turns and curves much faster than the player with no noticeable trouble, while the player (me) is fighting to keep the rear from exiting stage left/right. Actually, this happens more or less with most AI/Track combo's but to different degrees. I'm not looking for it to be perfect, but immersion is lost when I'm slightly over the limit in a fast curve and the AI is rock solid as they zoom away. Lastly, starting random in a race against the AI is dangerous. All the cars around you are freaking out because their programming has alerted them to your presence. PC2 and AMS2 are my only sims that have consistently super spastic AI. The last update supposedly addressed this a bit, however, I haven't seen it yet. It seems to me it hasn't improved at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. DrKarotte

DrKarotte New Member AMS2 Club Member

If AMS 2 is intended to be a hardcore sim for professionals and aliens, ok, but the current AI may be frustrating to beginners and hobby drivers. I know that I am not fast, and I have still some trouble getting the FFB right, but the AI are way too fast on lower settings. Did anyone ever try an AI strength of 0? What should a player expect from that setting but some slow cars you can beat easily unless you crash your car?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It seems the difficulty slider is not or barely working, it probably differs per car.
    for me the ai is useless at the moment

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SwaggerJacker

I still have some decent races. I mostly race Sprinters, Super V8 and the Ultimate. Usually on Ibarra, Adelaide and Montreal. I like Kyalami, but it's one of those tracks where the AI at 100 is just out of reach. Not that I'm quick. I harbor no delusions of speed!

11. DrKarotte

DrKarotte New Member AMS2 Club Member

I have now the same impression. Is there some official or further information on this? For example: What is the AI strength we get on track, is it 100? Does it perhaps not work at all, or only in some ranges, e.g. it may work for values +100 and make the AI faster, but doesn't for lower values. I have read posts from people showing their race results with information like "AI 120" (some of them at the same time comment that in other sims they have lower values, which would be understandable if the slider has no function). Why have they not disabled it, when it does not work (properly)?

12. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

There are several cars where you can get a better corner exit onto a long straight than the AI (at 70%), be gaining on them, and then start losing ground as you reach higher speeds. This implies the AI are not using the default setup which is meant to be reserved for > 80% (with AI > 100% allowed to use settings outside those available to the player). As noted this doesn't really change much at different difficulty settings so certainly seems as though it is broken in some way.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. SwaggerJacker

The final corner at Kyalami Historic is like that. By the Start Finish Straight they are much faster than the player. Not sure if this has been fixed yet. It was very frustrating for me. You spend lap after lap being consistent and gaining separation, only to loose a lot of it after the Start Finish Straight. It's like they have DRS or PTP. Again, loss of realism. Haven't driven at that venue in a while because of it. On another note, I'm still hoping they adjust the ARC Camaro AI soon. I think the Camaro could be one of my favorites. But at Ibarra, it's like trying to race a MagLev.

14. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

I think the "super speed" AI have on straights is because exaggerated corner exit traction/grip level, much better grip or ability to put full traction down much sooner than the player.

I tested several car/track combos at 100% AI, and watching the replays, top speed are almost the same between AI and the player, may be 1 or 2 kmh difference, but the AI reach that top speed sooner than the human player. IMO the "problem" is the difference in acceleration between player and AI

Try the Roco @ Oulton Park Intl, or Sprintcar @ Guapore to see what I'm referring to.

There are also spots where AI is a lot slower: They brake too soon and too much, followed by super fast acceleration, even on mid speed corners like Oulton first turn.

All of this leads to an unbalanced AI speed across the entire lap. Even if the resulting AI lap time is a match to the player abilities, this lack of balance across the lap makes almost impossible to fight for position at typical spots (ie: braking points after a long straight), and having to slow a lot at slow corners, or trying to force a pass on difficult parts of the track and forcing contact with the other car.

So, at this point it seems I have to lower AI difficulty, right? Problem with that is lap times. I will be much faster time wise, and miles faster at low speed sectors, resulting in a worse experience I'm affraid.

I know balancing AI for different driver's abilities is hard, and always somebody will be out, but at my current driving abilities, AI would be perfect if lap times are retained as it's now @100%, but the AI raw speed is balanced across the entire lap by being a bit faster in slow sectors, and a bit slower on acceleration out of every corner.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pete Baldwin

Pete Baldwin Member

I've found that if I play around with the setup of the car (often, the gear ratios) I can have much closer races with the AI. If I go with the default setup, I'm either destroyed under acceleration or at top speed. I'm usually above 80% AI so I assume that means they are tweaking their setup per track.

As we're getting significant updates each week, I can appreciate how the default setups are a bit wonky at the moment. It's a lot of work to perfectly set up each car around each track only for the work to become redundant again for the following update. Once the game releases, hopefully the defaults will allow for more comparable performance against the AI per track.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Madonion

Madonion Member

Oulton park track
    P3 Roco001 and same class selected.
    AI set to 60 and agression 40. which means around lap 3/4 i can be up front fighting with nr 1 or 2 if i start behind.
    Noticed something interesting there was another AI with a roco001 car but he was insanely fast, almost like he had DRS button, he would just pull and keep pulling. Kinda annoying but he was overtaking every car as did i but it took me abit more where he would just look weird doing overtakes. In the end he was nr 1 and i was nr 2 racing so i looked at the times and i believe he was like 1.38.800 and i was 1.39.129 for fastest lap yet he pulled way like he was doing 1.35's lol. Anyone else notice this in the new AI build?

17. SwaggerJacker

I feel the AI have improved a lot with the update. They are tougher, but in a realistic way.
    Renato did say we would get the best performance with AI set to 100 and AG set to 50 (Paraphrasing). I always try to race the AI at 100, but it isn't always possible because of the cornering advantage the AI had. Will be interesting to test the different classes now. The latest update really improved the AI. They are tougher, but realistically so. Not really spazzy when side by side. I couldn't run beside them before. That seems to have changed. This just gets better and better.

18. Madonion

Madonion Member

Interesting i will test this out. Setting AI on 100 sheesh i wonder what laptimes they will get but will revert back with what i find as im no sloutch in the speed department.

19. SwaggerJacker

I'm also looking forward to qualifying now. Haven't tried that in 3 or more weeks. Anyone else notice the AI improvement?

20. JPC

JPC New Member

The AI is still way too slow all around. As far as I can tell it's caused by the poor lines they take. For example, they pretty much never touch the curbs. It's gotten better, but there is still a long way to go.

• Agree Agree x 1