1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 only? (According to steam)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Ramos, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Ramos

Ramos New Member

Hi,

I’m am super hyped for AMS2! More hyped than I have ever been for any single racing game since Sega Rally on the Saturn.

Madness engine, with Reiza physics and curation on cars/tracks etc and what I hope will be the most immersive single player experience in sim racing!

Everything about this release makes me believe the stars are aligning and we will finally get the holy grail of gaming!

Amazing GFX (SMS/Madness)
    Amazing Physics (Reiza)
    Amazing curation (Reiza)
    Amazing VR (SMS/Madness)
    Amazing FFB (Reiza)

Hoping for!
    Amazing Single Player!
    Amazing Daily/Weekly Races (like GT Sport)

But am I right in saying that the game will ONLY support windows 10?

If so! I’m in a pickle as not all of my components will function correctly or efficiently with windows 10 and I don’t have a licence etc.

This seems like a really bizarre choice as it segregates the tiny market even more?

I hope Windows 7/8/8.1 support isn’t dropped (I know certain windows 7 versions get limited dx12 support) but I hope this game supports the same titles that PCars and PCars supports/Suported it would a crying shame to make it exclusive to Windows 10!

Can any devs here confirm the specs on steam are correct?

2. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Microsoft will end Windows 7 support on January 2020, they won't provide any bug fixes or security updates after that. That's probably the main reason. I guess it is also easier for dev to work with 1 OS only. It is already complicated enough with the various hardwares we all have, see all the troubles they faced with the last AMS 1 update that brought various wheels sdk updates!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mad Al

Mad Al Member AMS2 Club Member

It appears it has exactly the same requirements as Project CARS 2 with the minimum saying Windows 10 (+ specific versions of 7), so with Windows 7 will need the last service pack and the platform update to get the required version of DX. Yes it should run on 8 and 8.1 also. The Madness engine is a DX11 engine, not DX12 (at the moment)

As for Windows 10 licenses, they are dirt cheap on Ebay.. and I've not had one stop working yet.

4. Ramos

Ramos New Member

I hope so as I run 8.1 and don’t / can’t upgrade (for numerous reasons) yet.

I will upgrade as soon as I find a solution to all my compatibility issues (mainly work stuff) and some bespoke code and scripts I run on my home network, moving to 10 would require a small rewrite on many of them and honestly... I can’t be bothered as it’s a real headache and time sink!

So if this game runs on Windows 7/8/8.1 and 10 then my hype train will continue!

My main wish and hope for this game is that we finally get structure.

I would love to see daily races (like GT Sport) on the front page when I log in, to keep the community engaged. Just randomise a script that picks a car track and weather, even a low effort daily is better than nothing.

I would also really like to see them focus on offline content for those who want a fantastic career experience.

I already trust them to create a great sim! There is no question or doubt in my mind!

My main concerns is that we get a good game experience as well! Great engaging career mode, and daily community races to do when we log in. Then I think we will have a sim everyone can gravitate to as it will have options that attract everyone.

AMS1 was/is a great game but it’s user bass is lower than I would like, and lower than it deserves.

Bringing in those markets people who just want to fund daily’s, and those who do solo and the odd online race will vastly increase the player base and that is a very very good thing for the studio! I want to see them smash it and for the game to sell more than they could imagine!

Give them a SMS / PCars type income and just imagine what they could do!

I’ve never been more hyped for a sim, I know putting all your eggs in one basket is never a good idea, but I sincerely believe that if PCars and AMS had a baby it would be the perfect sim! Especially if it went to school at the GT school of story and progression :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think to this point we've made any changes that should preclude it running anywhere that pcars2 does nor do I see any comming up that immediately jump out at me and make me think that still won't be the case come launch.

Regardless of that I would certainly back Alex and Al in saying if you're running W7 you should probably consider upgrading sooner rather than later. W7 is not long for this world and it's security and support will only worsen with time. It might not quite get XP bad but there's every chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mad Al

Mad Al Member AMS2 Club Member

If you really need to still run 7/8/8.1 for anything I'd suggest using a VM.. I've still got one with an install of Windows 98.. just in case someone comes back and needs a specific piece of code changed!

• Agree Agree x 2