1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 January 2021 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jan 31, 2021.

1. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I can see 3D artists dropping their sculpting tools and actively optimising hardcore multiplayer code... That's exactly what they've been trained to do and we'd end up with much better experience.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. psone

psone Guest

Sorry, but that's a bit reductive. I don't think anywhere in my post I suggested that scenario.

That said from my own experience in game design and digital content creation, employees on small teams tend to have a quite broad skillsets. Its not uncommon to shift outside your main area of expertise as and when the workload allows.

3. stealthradek

I hope you realise that coding multiplayer requires some hardcore knowledge about network, packets on top of your usual coding skillset? I suppose if you'd want multiplayer to be worse than it is then this would be a good approach.

You can't ask tailor to cut sheets of metal. There's a small chance of one having both skills but they are slim. And 3D artists are those tailors.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. psone

psone Guest

I mean obviously that scenario is unlikely. Then again I know some devs who would be comfortable moving from one area to another. I mean the army of one is such a common occurrence in this industry.

Anyway outside of that I don't understand why you have to choose the most extreme of scenarios. If you think there's no overlap in roles, fair enough but I personally disagree, that has not been my experience.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I know its not the same but while you wait for it in the main HUD there are a couple of options, first is already in game in the telemetry screen, the pedals and FFB are shown there or you could use something like SimHub to create your own ;) I just made this is about 5 minutes and tested it, the pedals work but in my little time i didnt get the FFB to work but i'm sure it wouldn't be to hard.
    Its easy to use this on a phone or even an overlay on your main monitor anywhere you want it ;)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

model 1. for example, give it a try on kansai gp track and do a lap about 1.35 (laptime of the current leader of the class) or 1.36 in tt without any driving aids. you could set your steam name to "marc collins" for this test, so that we can see your time on the board.

managed to do a high 1.36 regularly in tt or training sessions with model 1, now i am far away from that.

edit: steam friend of mine does not feel any difference, too. but he plays with abs, tc and stability control activated, as he is new to racing games, which should be a totally different driving experience.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

There is indeed a lot of truth to this and users often are not aware of how compartmentalized the development process is - modelling a new car or a track doesnt overlap with other core game developments & fixes which are usually handled by different devs - you cant get a modeller to fix a bug in the code for example.

At the same time, it is also true that efforts can get dilluted when you have an agressively expanding content pool with regards to further developing physics / AI / audio / liveries for existing content, specially in our case when devs often share more than one function - that´s why we have found necessary to slow down slightly as of late, as we realised that at points last year we were biting more than we could chew and suffered the occasional undercooked release as a result.

It´s still a balancing act though - as we generally see in the comments here and elsewhere, every user has his personal view of where priorities should lay, which are not necessarily aligned with someone else´s priorities - just reading back this topic you can see that for every comment about how we should focus on improving X, Y or Z, there is another complaining about how car / track / feature A, B, C hasn´t yet arrived and what a shame it is that we have "only" 2 Group C cars in the works :p everyone wants everything they want as if the sim is being developed specially for them, and needlessly to say that´s not a realistic expectation for your $40 game ;) Sometimes they´re so caught up with telling us what we should be working on that they don´t process the OP just laid out we´re working on that very thing :D

That comes with the territory in the gaming world and we don´t expect it to be any different, still we hope users understand the fairly wholesale approach we have for AMS2 development - existing content is never being left aside to die for the sake of putting out more new content, and improvements are constantly being pursued in every front - that means that even as we push to ensure that initial bar is set a bit higher, any new feature or content release is bound to be its least developed version. This is specially true when you´re working on someone else´s technology, still grasping its complexity and exploring the potential in various areas, there are things we´re still doing now and problems we´re still pursuing fixes for we didn´t expect to be doing at this stage, and even if we like to think we got a pretty good grasp on things now, there´s no assurance what we may dig out tomorrow and how plans may need to be adjusted to suit.

The one consistent point to keep in mind, which we´ve been stressing from the beginning is that AMS2 is an ambitious, long term project with a very broad scope - things will come together bit by bit, and in order for it to be worth any play time throughout the process we need to juggle priorities to try make sure it´s constantly working on some level for some people some of the time. We´re very aware there is a lot of room for improvement and we plan to do our level best to explore it - in the meantime there is a lot in it that already can be enjoyed to get your money´s worth out of it provided your expectations aren´t unrealistically high. Those with more specific priorities would be best served to leave it aside until we get around to covering that ground, rather than frustrate themselves with the expectation we´ll do everything they want from one month to another :)

• Like Like x 32
    • Winner Winner x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. stealthradek

Amen

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Robert Gerke

Robert Gerke Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you Renato for your remarks.
    I still think it's really nice that you are so close to the fanbase.

My only thought is that it would be nicer for everyone if the core of a simulation would be made suitable for a league, because that's what a project lives from, right? :)

During your development, we just want to open proper multi-player leagues with the existing content and stream them in high quality. That's why I keep asking.

And if we can celebrate proper sim sports in a timely manner, we also have a lot of time and patience for everything you still have in mind. And if it takes another 1 to 2 years, that's fine.

That's how I feel. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

I think the requests in your post are perfectly reasonable Robert as are others in this topic, and we are in fact working on a couple of those already - it´s all a matter of timing and understanding that Rome wasn´t built in a day ;) We´re still within our second year of AMS2 development cycle and not even a full year since release - that may feel like a long time when you´re waiting on the other side, but that´s not all that long from a development POV :)

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

legendary response.. :cool:

Relax and enjoy the ride guys cause the next two years will be sweeeeeet as..

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I truly think the majority of people in the forum completely get this, it's just that many of the 'why oh why don't you X-Y-Z' posts always pop up in the development update comments. Although this may be to be expected, it's still a bit odd that people don't quite get it yet. To me there is more than enough amazing content to enjoy that it's hard to find the time to whinge about what isn't done yet, but maybe I'm just lazy ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cheesenium

Cheesenium Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for improving the AI.
    Looking forward to the Omega stock car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't like the GT3's in ACC so I hope AMS2 will never reach that level.

I had the same experience with Formula Classic Gen1 Model 2, going to a corner having the grip like a wiper on a dry window, but was able to dial it out with my setup.
    I don't experience it in FC Gen 3 Model 2, The FFB of Gen 3 is heavier then it was before I lowered it to 95% from my nominal setting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I will politely ask again: is there any open wheeler combo you guys are having fun racing vs the AI? This is a sincere question from the bottom of my heart.

Multiplayer currently is the land of no one, so I would love to immerse myself racing vs AI, but I can't find the right spot atm.

My issue currently is that I'm qualifying in pole with +1s over second place with AI set to 120 strength (F-Reiza, F-Classics G3), and by no means I'm a fast driver. During the races, I open up a gap and race alone (until I spin/crash ofc :oops:)...

Overall I never find myself in the middle of the pack, but either much ahead or way behind everyone else.

16. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Very nicely explained. I think one thing people miss when they are complaining about the incomplete state of AMS2 is the fun of being part of the development journey.

To get a positive improvement on a near weekly basis is really fun (yes, I am aware that the weekly bit only applies to backers, but even on a monthly basis, the principle is the same).

Although the future destination sounds like a very exciting place, I think the journey is equally, if not more, exciting. For those that don’t see things this way, the answer is quite simple: just be patient. The $40 or whatever is hardly an issue when we pay $1000’s for pc’s / gpu’s / wheels / pedals etc... all of which are pretty useless without the comparatively cheap software. This point is what annoys me the most about some of the criticisms I see online: competition in the software realm can only benefit users long term, yet some people who aren’t digging AMS2 seem to be ‘angered’ by its very existence (same happened with PC2).

My previous sim of choice was PC2, I was a backer, now being an AMS2 backer, I am continually impressed by the open, honest communication from Reiza, as well as the staggering rate of development. It strikes me that the potential of the Madness engine is huge, but I guess the flip side of that is the workload in taking it to it’s potential is also huge.

Count me as one very happy customer, I know I’m not speaking for everyone here, but I would happily pay more to see this sim become the masterpiece it has the potential to be.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

No funny business.. No thread derailing..

Curious; what don't you like about GT3 in ACC..?

18. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I use legacy mode and slider at 20...It wasn't clear from the original post if that video was showing just visual shaking or if the FFB was actually also transmitting any shaking BTW

19. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

To enlarge the fun racing with open wheelers AI, you have to be very consistant in your driving, the fastest and slowest AI car are about a second apart, so if your lap times are a second apart you will never find a middle group, I would like to have a greater deviation in talent
    I had a nice AI race in FC Gen1 at silverstone historic yesterday. skill 105/60

Race Report 3
    Date 1 feb 2021
    Release V1.1.1.0.1502.AVX
    Car Formula Classic Gen1
    Circuit Silverstone Historic 1991
    Skill level 105/60

Practice
    Weather Light Cloud no progression
    Temp 27°C 46°C
    Length 30 min
    Fastest Lap 1:26.883
    Postition 1
    Fastest AI 1:27.280
    Slowest AI 1:28.079

Qualy
    Temp 27°C 46°C
    Length 15 min
    Fastest Lap 1:26.223
    Postition 1
    Fastest AI 1:27.240
    Slowest AI 1:28.059

Race
    Temp 27°C 45°C
    Length 10 laps
    Fastest Lap 1:27.659
    Postition DNF (out of fuel)
    Fastest AI 1:27.980
    Slowest AI 1:28.740

Notes
    In the race I am more than a second from my fastest lap in qualy, the AI wins in consintency.
    I let one car pass at the start of the race and spend the rest of the race trying to catch him, a few times i almost passed him, but he always accelerated faster and passed me coming out of the corner. This probably explains my extra second in the race as well.
    It was really thrilling trying to keep up or even pass him without taking to much risk and loosing my car
    I went out of fuel, a 10 lap race and I toke 50L enough for 11 laps, setup told me. After restarting the race I checked my setup, it appears to be adjusted to 50L enough for 10 laps.
    The lap times of the AI are more constant now, I don't know if this due to the skill-level, or something is changed in the update.
    In this race the AI had an accident on the high curbs fighting each other, one car drove over the high curb got upset and was caught by another one and ended upside down. later in the race I saw two cars spinning of in a fight, I love it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is a big flaw when it comes to historical formula series. In reality, the lap time differences used to be 3-5 seconds per lap between the fastest and slowest cars, both in quali and in the race. There could easily be 10-20 seconds gap between cars. Yet, in AMS2 they drive nose to tail lap after lap after lap in packs of 5-6 cars. That rarely happened in real life and completely destroys the immersion as well as interest in racing these cars vs. the AI.

• Agree Agree x 2