1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.2.0 RELEASED - Now updated to v1.1.2.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 28, 2021.

1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You are correct, there is room for improvement on the camera (or the car's suspension or the road surface), I don't know why certain cars appears to be more bouncy (Porsches) , but I truly don't know the root cause... At least, Reiza is providing 2 viewing mode and a slider to help, but I'm convinced there are other components at play since PC2 didn't have those issues.

Please be aware, that the real-life videos are, in many cases, taken from a camera (sometimes a cheap rig) that has no stabilization and will appear very shaky to the viewer, which is very different then what the driver "sees/feels" since some motion/vibration is being absorbed by the seat cushion, neck and eyes compensation, etc... Unless you have a motion rig with heave motion, it's hard to properly judge the bounciness of the road vs what you see vs what you feel on the steering wheel.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Apart from one jarring AI bug and one (possibly major) FFB bug - both reported - I'm delighted with the SuperV8s at Old Kyalami. They're the best they've been since the early days of the Beta. The first corner, Crowthorne, used to be almost impossible because the FFB either went rather dead or produced a nasty knock in the wheel. Now I'm getting much more information through the corner, and it's even possible to recover from a mistake there, which is a rewarding experience.

The front wheels are finally detectable (thank you, Reiza) through Clubhouse Bend, the slow left-hander, and the previous sweeper, Sunset, is as exciting as always. Now the whole lap is heaps of fun - SuperV8 fans should give it a go if they haven't already.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Am i going mad or does the first lap count as lap 1? Not in AMS2 it doesn't, lap 1 starts at the end of lap 1 :confused:

4. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe the same issue like Windows has since > 30 years: if counting backwards, after 1min it starts with 60sec...

5. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It is like your age and birthday

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it which lap you are on or how many you have completed? How is it shown in F1? Its what lap the leader is on, right? For you it should be then what lap you are on, right?

7. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

Maybe it is not the right place but here goes.
    Tell me if you look at this video. Doesn't it look like the car is floating over the surface and there seems to be a disconnect between the surface and tyres? I saw this often in Project Cars 2 but also in AMS2 but not in other sims. What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

No sense of disconnect whatsoever....in the video or when driving that car at that track in the game.

What indication of disconnect are you seeing or perceiving?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

It is interesting to know how others think, so thank you.
    I don't know why that is the case. To me, it looks like the grip is not believable. A bit like sliding on ice (and I don't know if I am the only one seeing it that way). It's like the tyres are not biting on the surface (I know what car it is but that doesn't explain it). I cannot explain it. And I am curious if people see it also. I don't know if it comes from the camera used. Also when he understeers I don't feel like the tyres are gripping.
    But even when he goes straight you see these mini left to right movements and it feels like the car is somewhat floating on the track instead of feeling planted on the surface.
    When you often then look at the replay you don't see it.
    So yeah I really don't know. It bothered me greatly in PC2 and I see the same thing here. And I am curious if it is just me or others feel the same. Because if others don't see it or feel it then it is no problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I see floating over surface but it's due to the camera movement settings, legacy mode needs to be on imo to remove that feeling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I have just gone back to legacy mode. In both modes I was using around 30%. Problem is I like the low/non vehicle movement of legacy mode and the locked and smooth scenary movement of non legacy mode.

I think the camera still needs work. I hope there is improvement or more stabilizing options in the future..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Do you have the same feeling when driving in the game as when watching a video/replay?

13. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Does this feeling come from your hands or from your eyes? Cause if it is from your eyes like the other gents were saying it boils down to finding a comfortable camera setting.
    If it comes from your hands it is likely a car setup issue as when you setup your car correctly grip is indeed there. There is however a line to be drawn between AMS2 and most of the other sims: in AMS2 the car sits on flexible wheels and flexible suspensions so there will never be that feeling of the car "rigidly" connected to the road some other titles give.
    So if your expectation is to always feel a super hard, super rigid, super-heavily weight transfer dominated car (and therefore steering wheel) it won't be the case I'm afraid.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Completely disagree about this.
    If you were correct I would have been out of this sim long time ago.;)
    Or rather AMS2 would not be anything that could be called a racing "sim".
    My oppinion is that some cars in AMS2 (like the car in the video) does flow or sail like hovercrafts with not much connection to the track.:whistle:
    But what keeps me starting AMS2 up is that other cars (like my favorite F-Reiza) feels even more connected than the most "autentic" of other sims.
    Why do you twist this guys reasonable question around with your "super" superlatives?
    He just want to feel at least somewhat connected to the traks tarmac and curbs.
    OK.

ByTheWay: It really says something about peoples missing critical sense when they postulate(!) they cannot see the hovercraft floating in the video above. Do you need glasses?:rolleyes:

15. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't understand this by Reiza.

I presume the Super V8 is modeled on the 2018 Gen 2 ZB Commodore that also features in iRacing. As you can see from the below pics the rear wing is adjustable and it is also like this in iRacing.

iRacing also has a more accurate range of change whereby the rear wing can be adjusted by 0.5 degrees between 10-22.5 degrees rather than what was 0-6 steps in AMS2. I find some some of the ranges and steps in AMS2 to be a little odd. ie +/- 0.5 degrees of camber change.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

There are differences...
    20210311132019_1.jpg
    It is no 2018 Gen 2 ZB Commodore, it's just modelled after it. Take a look at the wing side of the Reiza Super V8, this is no coincidence for sure. :D
    Clicks by wing changes is an ease of communication thing, many sims do wrong, IMO. But the 0-6 range has done nothing to begin with, it was a dead slider.
    The AMS1 car has 1 front and 1 rear, for example, also not changeable.
    This will likely have reasons, don't know, which ones.

-------------
    Regarding the floatyness discussion above:
    Watch some Goodwood Revival/Speedweek races...St. Marys Trophy for example. i know, most of the cars aren't on slicks and have a significant lack of any downforce :-> but still a good showcase, why "connection to the road" is a pretty wide topic.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Enjoying your fanalab settings you posted the other day, can really feel the car. The only thing I find is it is a little heavy in feeling. What is the best setting to lower to make the steering a bit lighter without losing the effects?

18. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Someone posted a message yesterday saying that the super V8's at kyalami historic were much fun. Must say I agree, is good racing and the track flows well with this car.

19. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Guilty. Glad you enjoyed the combo.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Just to add to the discussion, I’ve recently discovered the Formula V10 Gen 2 at Hockenheim 2001 to be an absolute joy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2