1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.6.1 Officially Released - Now Updated to V1.4.6.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 4, 2023.

1. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is the post hoc ergo propter hoc -fallacy. Just because Jimmer grumbled about the physics doesn't mean his complaints had anything to do with the diff (that Reiza and this forum already knew about back then) or played any role in them getting fixed.

I find the ACC physics terrible wrong to the point of being broken, yet most ACC fans will vehemently disagree. So everytime Aris rewrites the physics (what is 1.9 now the fifth rewrite?), does it mean that I was correct when I said ACC physics were wrong?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

And yours is the classic strawman argument.....

The point of the post has nothing to do with what Broadbent thought was the problem of the physics or not. The point is that the "AMS2 community" was adamant his impressions of the game were wrong and there was nothing blatantly wrong with the game itself.

But whatever man, I won't go further down this discussion.

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Towing <3, except for Nord, ofcourse. Nobody going to wait 30/1 hour for towing around the track :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Imagine FCY on Nords... :eek:

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh no.... 2 laps MP-Lobby. Dude crashes Lap 1. .. We sit it out... We relieved lap 2 is going to be good.. Another dude crashes. F*ck this. :p:p:p Imagine that. It happened to me on other circuits.

6. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

More action on the bus then that race

7. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, a formation lap on the Gesamtstrecke isn't much fun either.

8. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Pai de familia peludo kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

9. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I might be just me, but the release of the Historic Nordschleife just showed off how bad the BMW 2002 is behaving even when you tune it down to Stock Specs with just 70% boost (170PS) and reduce cold Tyre pressure to 1.6 bar (1.8 Hot)

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Totally agree. It's very bad. I'm sure Reiza will fix that.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  11. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I guess the BMW 2002 will get an overhaul with the next physics update in v1.5. The Omega Stock Car as well hopefully.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That is not what the majority of the community challenged. They challenged the very poor quality of the review and the lack of effort to first understand what works from what doesn't and at the very least follow the instructions in the update log, just to rush a review and take his share of views.
    I don't understand why people who want to always bash the AMS2 community seem to deliberately ignore the difference between not agreeing that physics are all sh..t down here and thinking that nothing has to be addressed.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it true what he says at 6:08 at all? I thought AMS2 would elect the host as the first player to join the server, which means it is impossible to assign a server to a specific region.

edit: Maybe he is mistaking where the server is launched from, which is irrelevant to latency, since the first player to join becomes the host that relays the world state data and effectively becomes the server?

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

This is using virtual dedicated servers it would seem, so whoever is first to join should make no difference. Not 100% sure. It sounds so good as to be almost unbelievable, so let's all get using it to find out how good or bad it is :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. lianjieyiqie

lianjieyiqie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

One is very light, and the other is very heavy?

16. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Advanced Casual Sim Driver AMS2 Club Member

Overall i love the new update! Especially the 71 Nürburgring is just a blast to drive. I think this will be my most driven track for the rest of this year. Old Mini on the Südschleife, 1974 911 RSR on the Gesamtstrecke.

But there's one little visual glitch i've noticed: Not sure whether it's vr exclusive (i don't have a monitor on my sim rig, so i can only drive in vr), but the smoke balls on the track side glitch through the scenery. It happens in a few places on the track, but only on the Nordschleife.

ams2smokeglitch.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

They're almost axactly the same weight, 1072kg vs 1080kg. I also don't think weight would be the issue here, maybe weight distributon. They both suffer from the same loose rear out of corners on the slightest touch of the throttle pedal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

The sad reality of today's day and age...

Random nobodies on youtube make money through being negative about a subject...

It's click bait that people fall for...

In sim racing a lot of these randoms don't even try adjusting the set up... Far too many have been spoilt by the controlled conditions of ACC with default set up options for each track and condition... So I get it... But it doesn't take long to dig into if they have or haven't... The worst ones are those who live on the limiter at top speed...

Some of them I can see the passion, but they limit themselves so much by just loading it up and racing...

Set ups can make a car that feels dodgy feel great... Case and point all the default set ups in AMS2 where there's been compromises, not just for all tracks and conditions but also for the AI physics... So most of the defaults are hard to drive on the limit as a result...

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Xblurone

Xblurone Member AMS2 Club Member

Well. I have such a ridiculous machine with 4090 and Pimax Crystal and I can still not get rid of the shimmering. Long Beach and Road America are notorious. I think it’s the fences at the side. Some of the flag poles and signboards in Nurburgring are also flickering terribly. I am at a loss what to do. Now running without AA and shadows but still the flickering is there. Anybody here as a solution? Reiza?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I currently have the same configuration as you (Pimax Crystal + oced 4090) and yes it's impossible to get rid of the shimmering completely but the difference/improvement compared with the G2 is still quite big(I would say ~50-60% better). The best that I could get it running is with the native Crystal render resolution (~4315x5100px) + 2xMSAA + ingame settings tweaked around ~high. This combined with OpenComposite+PimaxXR+OpenXR toolkit and FFR at a 71% ring 16th resolution, 200% wide(oval ring horizontal) and 10% upwards vertically gives me 90fps/hz locked at daytime races. The disadvantage is this is that the alpha shaders are not rendered in the last 29% of the circle but this is almost invisible during racing with this configuration. The flickering on the fences could be improved in the future with a 5090/6090 with 150% supersampling (so ~6525px x 7650px) + 8xMSAA, that will get the max out of the Pimax Crystal but we have to wait for the GPU to arrive so those settings are the best that I came up with.

If a miracle happens and OpenXR's Foveated Rendering via Quad Views with eye tracking will get implemented in AMS2; then it will be possible with the 4090, but to my knowledge Reiza doesn't have the programming knowledge to do that currently (that's at least what I understood from Renato's last post about this subject from a couple of month's ago but this could have been changed in the meantime if they hired someone with proper programming skills).

The shimmering of the fences is part of the limitations of the resolution(yes still with the Crystal's panels of 2880px per eye which gives with the current glass lenses 35PPD in the center, to eliminate shimmering 100% without any AA you need between 60-70PPD) and MSAA/MFAA.

But the flickering textures are actually "z-fighting" and this could be solved by redesigning the track objects in AMS2, which only the track designer could do. I really hope that this get picked up one day, because Reiza has the knowledge to do this since it's just a track designers thing to do/tweak/improve.

The best combination is probably DLAA (NOT DLSS, this gives horrible artifacts/blur/ghosting because of the scaling) + CAS + 1.5x supersampling for VR's future. This gives close to zero shimmering with the Crystal. But this is VERY demanding (these settings even maxes out my 4090 with Pinball with 90%+ GPU usage, but it looks absolutely amazing) and even then if you look hard, there are still pixel lines that you can see. But I don't expect that DLAA could be added to the game because of the way that it's designed (but I could be wrong, I'm not a real expect on this).

So if you haven't tried it yet, try the settings from above, that's the best that I could get AMS2 looking currently with the Pimax Crystal/4090. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1