Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Wet weather effects in AMS2 are great...

The AI ruins anything that isn't a sprint race in the dry... But wet weather racing online in AMS2 is epic...

The only complaint I have about it is that the aquaplaning effect when 2 tyres are in a puddle is a little overstated... When all 4 are in a puddle it seems accurate, but when 2 tyres are in a puddle it seems far too violent when 2 tyres are still connected to the road outside of the puddle or even the loaded side...

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Actually 2 tires only in a puddle is the most undrivable condition because it basically provides a very violent surge in yaw that is almost always uncontrollable. Even in a normal highway. Never drive close to the edge of the highway if there is chance of significant puddles.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You can do pretty cool things even with half the cylinders and a meager 2.5L... Just sayin' :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Scar666

Interesting... The desert doesn't afford the opportunities to learn these things... It does make sense from a physics standpoint...

It seems a little unnatural from the onboard footage I've seen is what I'm going off of... It seems that most race rain tyres have the grip to compensate when 1 side is gripped up... A little slide is caused but there's enough grip that once the tyres that are in the puddle are out the car is controllable...

5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You can have deep profile/tread with spikes and you will still have 0 grip on a tire that is in state of aquaplaning. It's not really about grip or tread depth in that situation but about speed and avoiding it proactively by reducing speed, there is a point where no displacement happens anymore and the surface turns into ice.

There is no "enough grip", there is just none on one side of the car. You have to reduce throttle input and immediately counteract on the steering the moment the car will regain grip on all 4 tires.

Reason why you don't see it causing accidents all the time is because drivers know that they can't go all the speed on a place where a puddle is located. - Still causing enough trouble anyway tho.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Scar666

I wasn't saying that the effect was wrong in it's theory... Just that it felt a little saturated or inflated in that specific scenario... All 4 wheels feels and looks right, 2 wheels is a little stronger than I expected it be...

I will never discount the raw skills of the drivers who do it best and make it look easy on the on board videos we get... Nor the engineers behind the set ups that make the cars easier to control... Which does make it harder to tell... So it catches out this sim racer more often than it does them that's for sure...

8. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Aquaplaning feels pretty much bang on to me , it’s a pretty common occurrence when in rains on our NZ roads .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Gdude66

Gdude66 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyone know how to get simhub working in VR mode with steam VR. None of my widgets appear in VR only in the onscreen version.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. RickMandar

RickMandar New Member

Using Crewchief allows to display an overlay in vr which can be a simhub widget window or any window or screen you want.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Aquaplaning is really scary I had it once. You can do nothing only than let the throttle go, and see the car takes you. 25 years ago my dad aquaplaned himself into a tree. Luckily he had not major injuries.
    The same applies to AMS 2. I had some serious aquaplaning issues in Goiania. It was raning and raning and raining. The whole straight was just one big puddle. Should be red flagged. Holymoly. It's so dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 7
  12. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, the aquaplaning is pretty acurate on the game compared to how I have felt it in real life, the steering wheel will go numb and you are basically a passenger, pretty scary.

In my opinion after this last update the wet driving is much much better, at least on the F-Vintages, no need for TC in my case to keep up with the AI, I have had to increase their difficulty now, its great!
    In fact my biggest complaint now is that the AI cannot manuever the big big puddles and they lose a lot of time or spin.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Apex

Apex Active Member

I agree. I've tried it a couple of times too. You have about as much control as you have on a bum slider on ice. If you drive a manual you can gently use the clutch and maybe regain some grip as even a bit of engine breaking can rob you the last bit of traction you may have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

I guess I'll try to race in the rain then, I had given up on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

I didn’t try rain on new update yet, but for me, even if the puddles and aquaplaning effect is really well done, what is immersion breaker in the rain is that there’s no simulation of the lack of grip if we use the dry line when raining. Normally the driver needs to adapt braking and corner entry acceleration avoiding dry line at all costs, but for me it looks like in AMS2 when it’s raining you can just keep doing the exact dry lines and just avoid the puddles and it’s all good. Since the rain visually effects are so good, it looks a bit of a waste to not have the wet / dry line implemented. Most probably because this would need to be done on a hundred different layouts and probably there’s not enough manpower to do that properly. I also imagine most people race on dry most of the time ( at least on multiplayer), so maybe it’s not worth the effort for Reiza. But I would love it. If they could only try to implement this in some of the most rainy circuits (like when they started the Advanced damage model on some cars), that would be a great addition to immersion.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  16. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So do you guys feel any difference between the racing line and off the racing line in wet conditions? Do you actively go off the racing line to get grip?

Wet racing is not just about avoiding puddles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I believe I do. When the track is rubbered and it's also wet there's way less grip, so you've to stick to the racingline. At last that's my experience I had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thats some of the points that the driver in the video made with a lot of focus on aquaplaning

and the "wet lines" need to be improved as "rubbered" asphalt became very slippery on the wet, hence why the wet lines avoid in many cases the "dry lines"

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's not simulated on the game, but in real life drivers dont always use a different line on wet conditions, in varies track by track and corner by corner.
    They almost always avoid the white lines, but I have seen hundreds of F1 races and they use the dry line on the wet more often than using a different line, Fuji 2007 is a good example.

20. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Maybe the Crown Range between QT and Wanaka will be added as a track, conditions get sketchy up there, great fun to drive though. =)