Automobilista 2 V1.5 Physics Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Turbo_rodent

Turbo_rodent New Member

Got to say I’m really enjoying AMS2 but like most things in life it’s not perfect! You could say that about any sim/game or past time that we take part in and ultimately our perfection would be snippets from various sims and games to make our own perfect experience!

In AMS2 I see a very pleasing looking environment, even on my relatively old PC which for a modern game is both refreshing and a relief! I feel the road, kerbs, tire flex, weight transfer, the brakes locking up, oversteer, putting a wheel on the grass on my basic G29……the one thing I don’t feel and that is lacking is under steer FFB, nothing! I get a visual cue that the car won’t turn in but lose no strength in the force feedback…….this isn’t limited to AMS2 and many sims seem to struggle with it yet most of us will more likely have experience d it in the FWD cars we drive in the real world!

Who gets it right…..it pains me to say it as I find it offensively expensive to participate in but Iracing managed it. AC managed it too as enhanced understeer but that seemed to make cars understeer too much!

Now if we can feel the brakes lock up in AMS2 and the sensation of the car being unwilling to turn in, surely it’s possible to get understeer feedback too??

These things change during different updates and a a classic example in PC2 I can remember a phase where the Audi 80 GTO was an absolute beast you could feel torque steer, it was just fantastic! Then a later update came along and it was gone, still good but the sensation of all four wheels scratching around for grip, the fronts pulling on the steering wheel……I guess any update or improvement will bring pleasure to some but maybe not others as we all have our own view of what we expect to be updated and how that is implemented.

I do feel that some of the cars have become a bit too tame maybe but that over driving those cars does seem to be penalised by tire heat and wear? Maybe?

Either way, it’s good enough for me to want to keep coming back and I like it enough to share an opinion on how it feels to me……with my very limited knowledge of racing cars having driven a few uninteresting fords, a Peugeot, a Renault and a basic rental go kart about three times!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That "very busy" approach with input when on limit, could have been basically fighting against the "confused carcass" bug Renato described in his dev blogs...

911 RSR was one of the cars prior 1.5 I just couldn't understand even when I tried to practice with it for quite a few hours. It felt that I would need to learn it again on every track, memorize what kind of inputs I would need to make on every situation as the sim didn't really give me info that would have let me drive it better more naturally. It was already then hard to understand why some people enjoyed it then. Now it's totally different, it actually makes sense and feels logical.

I'm not surprised that there are people who had accustomed to the old physics so much that new doesn't feel as good, at least not yet. It's a bit same if you are accustomed to some other sim and comparing AMS2 to those experiences. I did 200h+ of rF2 just before I came back to drive on AMS2 again, and it's really hard for me not to compared my experiences to that, especially to the parts I like in that sim.

ps. GamerMuscle lost my respect when he took more and more "hater" approach to AMS2 and started dissing all who questioned or tried to argue about the claims he is making as AMS2 fanboys, claiming that they are all just wrong and he is right, no arguments. Even if it would be only an act, it's still not right and just causes harm.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

AJR Gen 2 front wings still reacting wrong.

4. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Exactly.

I know for myself, I'm very comfortable with cars others would call "erratic," so personally I could push past a lot of the busy, nervousness of cars like the previous build's 911 RSR, C3, BMW 2002, Formula Vintages, etc. This isn't just an AMS2 thing for me, my driving style is the same in AC just adjusted for each car. My early simracing habits were formed with DiRT Rally where grip levels were constantly changing, so an RSR at generous slip angle didn't bother me. Whereas someone expecting a more planted, preemptive, methodical driving style would be overwhelmed by effectively two tire models conflicting with each other. That oscillation in peak grip was "confusing" for some, but "quick and engaging" to others. Ironically, making the current build "floaty" to those used to the old build, but more predictable to those used to other sims. (Once again, the complete opposite to GM's descriptions.)

While the old tire model probably benefited me competitively, I would much rather have something closer to reality that is accessible for a wider player base. This is why I brought up the iRacing example, as the hardcore AMS2 community needs to be aware of how we inadvertently affect Reiza's decisions. I would hate for us to retroactively push for a bug fix to be removed.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

@BrunoB not sure I understood your previous post about haters and/or users here so apologies in advance but...

Criticism is always welcome, specially if "correctly" put...

Don't get me wrong, not saying my way or your way, etc way is more correct than others but there are some "general" rules based on common sense and respect...IMO!

If someone thinks something in AMS2 is/was wrong he is totally entitled on reporting his findings and opinions but...

...when you are 1 between 10 thinking something is wrong you need to use a different approach because if you are right you need to guide the others towards your results, share your thoughts with them and be sure it can be reproduced by the others....

So...while I think simple posts like "all good is fine on my side" or "there is something wrong on your side because we are loving the update" are useless and somewhat expected in a forum focusing on a single title (euphoria is very contagious), on the other hand forcing your opinion in the others throat is worse, specially if you do that putting another sim in the table and using it as way to discriminate the others (in short: saying the others are morons because don't recognize SIM-X as the main one).

I am not surprised they trigger each other and to be honest reading your previous posts I know you are smart enough to understand that.

BTW©:
    I would remind everyone saying "AMS2 was broken and GM (or whoever loves vasting time streaming in game menu while sipping from a cup instead of properly racing) was right...

...that a sim developer even if works with a software/engine and there is a bug he still doesn't know, he still does his best to give you the best "simulation" possible, so when he finds a bug doesn't mean the previous work was wrong but "defective" and now can be "fixed" or "patched" or "updated" (did you notice how good those terms are for us customers?).

As example, Reiza always did their best to give a "plausible" (no one says realistic please, it's a simulator!) simulation even with a faulty piece of code and they still are and they still will...and they will probably find something new to fix the more they work on AMS2.

This is the reason why I respect the Sims I don't like too, because I know that every dev team works for reaching their goals, no matter the path they choose and how much time they take...

... probably they think the same of their competitors and this is the reason they know and respect each other (overall).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

GM-B is amusing, and he is a very jolly fellow, and he's entertaining too (he really is), but he's absolutely full of it. He's not worth debating with because he's consciously operating on the level of a supermarket tabloid. The more he stirs it up, the more attention he gets. That's fine I suppose, but this time he's realised that he's taken it way too far, and so posted an 'oh look I like this stuff though, it's really good' video, in an attempt to roll it back a bit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gabriel Andrade Pessoa

Gabriel Andrade Pessoa TotosaLoko

I agree on some points, but that's what i always say, sometimes it's not what you do, but how you do it, many people think it's the same thing, because they think that other people think the same way, but it's not that's how it works, we have to work on our emotional intelligence, because we have little control over how other people will react to what we say, especially when we criticize something they like, anyway, i think criticism will always be valid and welcome, especially if they were respectful and constructive, also because it is one of the reasons for this forum to exist, to give feedback in order to help improve the game, but we have to work on expectations within a realistic and acceptable level, as i also see many comparisons unfair, in addition, we have some people who seem to just want attention, disrupting the forum, or acting as if they own the truth and etc, so it's not so simple to just ignore, because these people end up helping to create a toxic and harmful, low quality environment.

Now, about me suggesting that people test other simulators, even if it has not been forwarded to me, i understand that it is important, not just because yes, but because i believe that it is important for people to form a basis on how to drive certain cars and choose the best ones, piloting them in the environments that favor them the most, in the same way that pilots and people in real life test cars to see what they like the most before buying them or piloting them in a any street or track, as this also helps these people to formulate more qualified and better quality opinions or criticisms, having fun in the process, but after that, they should go back to playing in the simulator they like the most for a certain car, since it is very difficult for a simulator to be good at recreating all of them at a very high level, instead of staying and simply forcing and limiting themselves to like it and to playing only one or the other, which will invariably lead this person to be always frustrated and angry, but yes, what we see here sometimes, are some fanatics, acting as if they were cheerleaders.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DaVeX

Sorry, due the the topic pitgirls seems more appropriate :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Some may be cranky at me for saying this but idc. Having more diversity in both pit crew and marshalls would be a great thing in the sim. One of those small details that adds that extra little bit to the sim.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  10. WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO

WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO Active Member

What a day that we are going to have snowfalls in the simulator Project Cars 2 had and loved Reiza o Renato please let's put snow situations on all the tracks please even on the tracks in Brazil. I hope one day to race in Interlagos with snow in Automobilista 2, please Renato .
    Project-Cars-2-1024x576-57f05dce073732a4.jpg a12_9AHPqL4.jpg Project-CARS-2_20170919183908.jpg 20171003183841_1.jpg

• Disagree x 10
    • Agree x 3
    • Optimistic x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Winner x 1
  11. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

That's a hard YES from me. Seems totally logical, given how good the dirt has been implemented. I think it'll be dedicated tracks though, because just imagine the work involved in creating a 4th season for the Northern Hemisphere tracks! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Todd Norbury

Todd Norbury norbs AMS2 Club Member

Mate, you just keep asking for things, and addressing Renato like he has nothing better to do that address your every request.

Enjoy what the game gives you for now. There is plenty of variation and content.

Does it even snow at Interlagos?

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

What does "diversity" mean for you ? Do you mean having also women being part of the pit crew and changing tires ? I hope you instead mean realistic diversity of people, and also not just diversity in skin color because that is not diversity, because different skin color doesn't equal different culture. Maybe safety teams around tracks having men and women, but pit crew being only men depending on what country the race is taking place in ? You have to explain more clearer what you are trying to suggest.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TomLehockySVK

Hey mate, there is this section for requesting features.
    The Feature Request Thread...

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. DaVeX

He wants horse headed pit crew...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mad maxx

mad maxx Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Not yet, it's true. But tomorrow... lol!

18. WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO

WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO Active Member

Yes Snow in Interlagos and Salvador too

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. TomLehockySVK

8454fault.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member