Update candy: no fix to insane bugs though.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Interceptor, Mar 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Interceptor

Interceptor Member

ATM the file Horia posted here, in the second post.
    I did try many though, had a few months of obsession with this a while back :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I use Kuku’s with my CSL DD and I will have another look and see if I can replicate your problem

3. Interceptor

Interceptor Member

[​IMG]
    At the moment, I have the settings from the wheel as in the screenshot below but I have to say: I messed around a LOT with them back when I had that 'obsession' with the issue ;)
    Tried al kinds of files too.
    The only file that had this the least, was the games own 'Default' file.......not the + version.

Ingame I have all settings to 0 except for the FFB strength of course.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  4. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

What does the 'Wheel Vibration Motor' under Steering Wheel Settings do?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Racinglegend1234

Certain Fabatec wheels have vibration motors in them so you can know when you’re locking up, redlining and other stuff

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gevatter

Could that exaggerate the effect of the hopping?

@Interceptor
    So I've tested a few things, like you asked.

Procedure: I went to Interlagos in the F-Ultimate Gen2, F-Reiza, F-Inter and Copa Classic Chevette. All of them behave exactly the same. They have some "hopping" out of the Interlagos pits in the corners, but way less pronounced for me than seen in your video. All of them run completely smoothly on track except for the usual road noise and bumps, starting from the long left out of the pits, where your video ends. No more hopping on track on turn-in, no matter if it's a long fast corner or a slow, tight one.

I then went to Spielberg in the F-Ultimate Gen2, same thing exactly. Hopping out of the pits on the tight right bend, but nothing on track except the usual road noise and bumps.

Conclusion: If it were an issue with the tires "not being round", the issue should be present anywhere on track, not only in pit lanes, and for all cars that use the same tires. My money would be on an issue with track geometry (basically "pits less smooth than track"), rather than an issue with the tires. The fact that it hops more for you than me could have a plethora of reasons, from camera settings to FFB settings, wich could exaggerate the effect.

Further testing: Of course the question remains, do the cars behave the same for you on track as in the pits? Do they behave the same in all pits, do all cars behave the same, etc. Tracks are different of course, eg. Road America has a lot of road noise, and Curitiba is very bumpy, so keep that in mind.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Interceptor

Interceptor Member

Thanks for the reply's guys.

I understand what you mean by the vibration motor, but that is very noticeable.
    Those motors are in the handgrip and are small with a high frequency pitch: you notice it more like getting an electric shock, rather than feeling it as FFB.

About running smoothly on track: that one is true, but either the wheel, the FFB program or Reiza build some "sweet spot" right in the middle. Why I think that? Flatspot your tyres really good and you will notice it more when turning in. Driving straight, its still there, but way less.
    And thats the some with the hopping tyres.
    Not all cars do that the same amount, some even don't.
    Tracks with bumps and noise: you can feel it being like that, you notice it is not the same as the egg-shaped wheels.

Then again: the hopping that goes on: you get the EXACT feeling in the FFB when you get control: exact frequency and such.

What bothers me most, is that the maker of the game remains very silent about all of this and this one is not the first topic about the matter. (Not counting my own other topic)
    They never chipped in, never gave a reply.
    So, is it being worked on? Probably NO.
    We DO dress it up with difficult words, saying we are going to calculate this and that, rubber depth IN the tarmac blablabla.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Racinglegend1234

IMO small vibrations in the pits shouldn’t be their focus since it only happens for a short time and isn’t as important to accurate simulations as the tyres are. They maybe should have another look at pits since IIRC Suzuka also has a big bump somewhere in the pits. They need to have another look at the pits, but I think you’re overreacting and demanding too much

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I don't know if this has any relevance to possible cause & effect regarding track mesh vs Off-track & Dirt surfaces but, for some time now all off-track motion effects have been disabled for my particular motion system (D-box). While I have reported this several times, I've not received any clues regarding the reason for this but, it may suggest the existence of a known (to devs) issue with some surface features.

The lack of progress on this may be due to it requiring much deeper code work or it is simply of much lower priority for developers at this time. Either way, they have their reasons and methods that most of just probably can't begin to understand. These are complex issues and if solving them was easy, it would likely, already have been done.

Nothing wrong with reporting / repeating issues from time to time but, be respectful of the fact that we non-developers are way outside our wheelhouse when it comes to how game issues should be dealt with and when.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Interceptor

Interceptor Member

No, it is not the pits!
    I used that as an example because everyone would say I flatspotted.
    But it is everywhere and overpowers the normal FFB.

Even when I show the video here, people won't believe me, going all fanboy saying I'm "demanding to much" because I want the wheel to be ROUND, on a CAR, in a RACING game.
    Like every other racing game has, even Grand Prix 2 or 1 for that matter had that; how hard is it?

I have no clue what is wrong with you guys, but there IS a serious problem in the base of a game: going all fanboy and make love to the devs is more important than getting a good game in the end?
    So in order to say all is perfect, you use special files and filter 99% of FFB out instead of giving some criticism to the makers? Really?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  11. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

So ... trying not to step on someones toes here ... just helping out :whistle:
    (People tend to forget that our native languages & background are different and a direct approach is not considered rude in all cultures, even in the EU)
    I struggeld with my csl DD 8NM for a long time in AMS2.
    It felt better in all other games, especially the older ones ( DIRT, F1, AC etc ).
    I tried (and try) every FFB file on the forums, but for some reason my fanatec & ingame settings don't match most recommendations o_O
    Maybe there is too much now in the files to translate through "just a steering wheel" ? It's just a idea I have ...
    I get reasonable times with my settings and can drive for a few hours without physically noticable - I'm 44 :D

12. Racinglegend1234

Well I maybe didn’t understand your comment, but calling us all fanboys doesn’t change the fact that we don’t feel the same thing as you do. I don’t use default ffb for the reason of egg shaped tyres producing a weird effect. If ONLY 1 person is saying something when EVERYONE else is saying something else, then that one person might be doing something wrong. We don’t know if you’re right or wrong, but we can draw conclusions using our own experiences. I can’t be asked arguing anymore so I will stop here

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dean Ogurek

We as users can try to reproduce the issue you're having however, I cannot at this point imagine what might cause the affects you are describing. I say this as someone that has explored many, many different TrueDrive settings / custom ffb files / custom ffb tweaks in AMS2.

In many ways, the FFB I experience in AMS2 is excellent and offers some things no other title does. That does not mean it's perfect for everyone but, there is not another title in existence with more ffb options available.

In more general terms, there are some things to try that may solve some hidden issue, if you haven't already:
    • Verify Game File Integrity in Steam
    • For each car you drive, be sure to load "Default Setup".
    See if that makes any difference.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Interceptor

Interceptor Member

I admit I overdid it a bit by calling everyone a fanboy, but the rate is pretty high.
    I 'am the only one'.
    'No one has had that'
    'No one complained about that'

Okay:
    Bouncy cars
    Bouncy tires - boooinngggg
    The reason AMS2 cars are bouncing.
    Cars are way too loose!
    Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations
    Suspension..
    B o u n c e

These are ONLY from this forum and the guys saying they never heard of it, are WAY more active over here than me.
    This is just what I found with "bounce". I may be one of the few that noticed it must come from the tyres as a lot of posts ask why the cars are that bouncy.
    I can go on with this list, but you get my drift.
    Saying "all is okay, you are the only one, leave my beloved devs alone" when this is actually an issue no one pursues to get right, is making me say words as fanboys.
    If you love the game so much: why wouldn't you put in some criticism so it can be made better instead of altering the game, files and FFB to make it "well, this goes reasonably"?!

15. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Du übertreibst es jetzt. Sie geraten in etwas, das mit den richtigen Einstellungen fast behoben werden kann. Ja, bei manchen Autos gibt es dieses Springen. Aber meiner Meinung nach ist es nicht so schlimm, wie sie denken. Sie konzentrieren sich nur auf dieses eine Gefühl, anstatt die Simulation zu genießen. In jeder Sim gibt es Dinge, die gut sind, und Dinge, die nicht so gut sind. Konzentrieren Sie sich auf die guten Dinge, von denen es in Ams2 viele gibt

16. Zask

Zask New Member

I use a dd2 with the default profile and I honestly have no idea what the op is grasping for.
    ' Wheels not round' ?? Is this an April fools gag?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Gevatter

Most of those threads are from mid 2020 right after first release. The latest is from very early 2022., over two years ago. Many updates and physics/tires revisions were done since those threads were started, so I wouldn't take those as relevant anymore.

FFB being weaker when the wheel is straight is something I've felt in every sim. I guess it has to do with how the FFB motors work and that the wheel can only ever go in one direction at a time and the middle is where the direction changes so to speak. Probably also the suspension geometry and settings of the car you're driving, as you said yourself, not all feel the same in this regard. You can try using some Low Force Boost, but I always get a notch in the middle of the steering range (where it goes from left to right and vice versa) when I use it.

I appreciate you have that issue out of the pits, but you also admit it's fine once on track, only to veer off into a tangent about FFB, then you go on to say the issue is everywhere in your next post, then you call everybody fanboys for not having the same issue you do... so I really can't follow you anymore. And like I said, it's not there on any track for me, but a few of the pit lanes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dean Ogurek

Many of- if not all of those conversations are outdated and no longer relevant because most of those issues have been addressed already. The ones related to Drivers View Movement tend to be the most recent I can recall where some have issues with bouncing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Well-Known Member

Turn off Auto-Pit lane and drive out of the pits under your own steam. If you are in VR and using Legacy Camera settings with 100% lock-to-horizon, then the car is a jack rabbit and will pogo over any bumps or kerbs. I run about 30% to get somewhat of a tolerable medium between the world jumping around or the car doing the same.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dewald Nel

Dewald Nel Member

Played 5 hours with FUGen2 this long weekend.

I can confirm: the tyres are round!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.