Automobilista 2 May 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think the dev update 2 will come together with de actual update whenever that is haha. This thread is the coping mechanism.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Fatih

Fatih Member

I think also that will be the case. I switched to VR the past week and enjoy the game as it is very much. I am a typical casual 10 Laps Racer and its so much fun!!

I am so excited about the Update but I can wait, there is so much to explore with VR

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

I'm more the kind of person that will play other stuff when I know a big update is coming for a game, I still play AMS 2, but I've been focusing more on BG3 and started to play Cyberpunk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

oh MAN I am tempted to get into VR... but I run Linux. Has anyone had any luck with any of the headsets on Linux?

5. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

Peugeot got their two wins against stiff competition from Toyota also running a 3.5L V10, so they couldn't just dial it back and cruise.

Also plenty of Judd V10 cars made it to the finish over the years. Even the Ferrari 333SP won the 24h of Daytona, and that could rev beyond 11k.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. F2020

F2020 Member

just use Windows.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

VR on Linux for anything other than desktop streaming is really a no go. You can try ALVR and it will "work" but performance is non-existent and I mean that in the sense of it will be unplayable. You might get 20% of the performance you would have on windows.

8. brendanrfoley

brendanrfoley Member

I’m using the time waiting for Part 2 of the update by learning how setups work. I've always been terrified of advanced setup options.

My best lap time on Spa in the McLaren 720s Evo to this point has been in the mid 2:19:XX range. But I'd average around 2:20:XX per lap during a race.

But that was on default settings and default setup. I'm starting to mess with the tire camber, pressure, and front/rear downforce. Already I'm consistently hitting 2:19:XX lap times. I haven't beaten my best time yet, but I’m consistently setting new highs for three lap and five lap runs.

I know 2:19:XX is “slow,” too. I’m learning!

• Like Like x 8
  9. HER0

HER0 New Member

I race in AMS2 exclusively on Linux and with a Valve Index. Works fine.

EDIT: There are some limitations, of course. For example, the cameras on the headset don't work with the SteamVR feature for displaying your surroundings in VR with the Index (but that does work with the Vive). Some headsets don't work or don't work as well. Depending on your hardware and drivers, you could get worse performance. etc.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

not sure if I'm allowed to say it but there will be more than 5 cars lol

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Macau can only come when the game got TCR cars

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

From Renato's OP, five paid cars in Endurance Pack 2, but mentions several others that will be added to the base game as part of 1.6

• Like Like x 1
  13. Harmoniser

Harmoniser New Member

welcome to VR, once you go VR, you don’t go back!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Chewpapa

Chewpapa New Member

But only because of it's outstanding mechanics! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. pipimax007

pipimax007 Member

I was wondering if this thread will reach the 100 page mark.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BobbyB

BobbyB Member

Where did you see that Sebring was teased on IG? I don't have social media, could you send a screenshot? Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  17. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

18. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The 333SP suffered hell at Le Mans between failures, rpm reductions that caused even more reliability issues and ultimately never had a decently competitive Le Mans in race trim.
    I mentioned already that for 2-3 years when F1 spec engines were the only way allowed everyone was very much in the same boat. After that from 1994 going forward and for the next 30 years the trend has been pretty unanimous with little to no success for high revving engines (which is not the same as high cylinder count).
    There are very good engineering reasons for that (keeping rpm reasonably low) and those who understand engine design know very well what those mean:
    1. Keep piston average speed down to reduce inertial stresses on very much all components starting from conrods, pistons, crankshafts, bearings and all such components that have alternate movements/loads including valves, spring etc. which are almost all subject to accelerations that increase with the second power of the rpms
    2. Reducing friction (and therefore localized thermal stresses) between moving parts and consequent lubricant challenges
    3. Reducing metal fatigue on all stressed members (number of alternate loads grow with rpm and allowable loads before failure decrease exponentially with the number of cycles)
    4. All of the above in the context of a long race with most of the time flat out on high gears (so max stress on the engine) and relatively warmer temps than any other remotely close circuit shapes.
    If people who want to interact know what the above means when designing an engine good, if not I am not going to spend further time explaining their meaning because if they don't know they obviously have no business discussing such matters.
    Cheers

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Oleg Kaban

Oleg Kaban New Member

Maybe that's what Renato waits us to do, so we can generate enough hype to prove we are worthy that much new stuff.
    Pre-1.5 June 2023 dev update thread was just about that, 97 pages.
    Now 1.6 seems bigger content-wise, so we have to wark hard to even get part-2 dev update now. Let's keep it going!

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

I think your point should be read as such:

You absolutely can try to compete in a 24h race with high revs just to do it and fans will love hearing it. But it is like deciding that no matter what I'm going to design my aerodynamic package without a rear wing. People bring highly reliable less dramatic engines into the fight for a reason and nobody's stopping the next constructor from doing so.

I wouldn't be shocked if the engine is swapped at some point in case the program shows promise just to make sure they don't DNF, because of the damn high revving concept. However hypercar is complicated since it's still also marketing on slicks. There could be little point for some constructors to come in and not be themselves where they're allowed to be. Cadillac found a way to turn people into cavemen as they drive by and the package makes sense within extremely balancing hypercar driveline regulations.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.