Automobilista 2 May 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Regarding the GPU conversation.
    I'm still get reasonable results with my 1660ti at 1080p, had it for about 7 years now. Originally paired with a ryzen 5 1600x but now a 5600.
    Reckon I could probably manage 1440p tbh but on my 28inch monitor it looks absolutely fine. I lock the fps at 60 as that's my monitors refresh rate anyway and don't have any noticeable input lag.
    One thing I have been looking into trying is lossless scaling, looks like a very interesting piece of software that if used conservativly could give people like myself using older gen gpu's a few extra frames. Anyone else looked into this I wonder?
    Have to say though that AMS2's ability to run so beautifully on older hardware is one of my favourite things about the game, wonderfully optimised. Thanks Reiza.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SpaceYam

SpaceYam Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not sure what prices are like in the USA as I'm in Australia, but my brother "traded" me his RTX 2080ti for my 2060 as he felt it was being wasted in a computer basically being used to watch Youtube (and his main computer has a 4090 or something ridiculous).

The 2080 is honestly fantastic and I have zero complaints. But that being said, the 2060 was no slouch either.

I'm not sure what the AMD equivalents are, but if you can even find something second-hand along those lines (make sure it hasn't been used for Bitcoin mining) then you'll probably be in with a winner.

3. Joachim

Joachim New Member

less than 2 years... 2/2016 release - 12/2017 Final Development update... at least regarding physics...

4. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I would think AMS1 was developed a year or two (atleast) before being released to the public

5. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

...and take a Duke Burger.....
    burger.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Reiza worked on the games such as GSC games, Formula Truck, and Copa Petrobras de Marcas several years before working on AMS1, they all use the same engine, AMS1's last update was in September 2019.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's some bad news I got for ya...:D
    Reached the end of the road for upgradability a good while ago courtesy of that 1151 socket.
    But you got your money's worth especially looking at the 700$ you spent on a gpu and really managed to stretch. I'm out at least triple that cash over the same time period.
    This is an interesting time for a full upgrade, that's for sure. I'm certain you've heard the horror stories surrounding Raptor lake (Intel 13th&14th gen), although I'm more than happy with my 13700k. And we're on the cusp of both teams coming out with a new generation which in AMD's case is looking like it's gonna be leaning toward productivity instead of gaming. (They're always aching to fumble the ball especially in the wake of Intel's biggest balls up in years!)
    In short it's a bit of wait-'n-see, and in your position, I'd be watching prices on let's say that 7800x3d once the new stuff floods the market. That's what I'd do. (That chip is crazy good in MS flightsim too...)
    I'm on a waiting junction of sorts; flightsim 2024 due November, lots of content due in Euro Truck, waiting for 1.6 here.

But be prepared to spend some cash eh? There's no cheap and easy fix anymore, you've stretched things as far as they're gonna go.
    Sell a kidney, remortgage the house...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hamady91

Hamady91 Member

It would be nice to have few words coming from the devs to know if the update is coming mi-september or delayed due to the amount or work

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Iuri_Rein

Iuri_Rein Active Member AMS2 Club Member

will arrive when it is ready. But the staff said that it is expected to be late summer

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hamady91

Hamady91 Member

Obviously i dont want a rushed update to meet dates .But just a bit more communication

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Iuri_Rein

I believe that the lack of communication is due to many days writing codes, calculations, alpha testing, more codes, more alpha testing.

Since the person writing it is RENATO, I understand people's annoyance, but it will be worth it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Hamady91

Hamady91 Member

Yeah i really hope the game will give a good tyre physic

I tried the F1 with pre 1.6 tyre and it was connected to the road and very pleasant instead of other cars where there is too much sliding

• Like Like x 1
  13. Iuri_Rein

As others have said, the stock car and F1 no longer represent the evolution of tires. (Are you saying that it will be better?)

14. Hamady91

Hamady91 Member

I precised pre 1.6 knowing that the physic as changed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yes, it is even better than the "early" 1.6 on the two cars in the release version, IMO. Some vehicles are transformed more than others, but all that are close to complete feel "better." For me, personally, they are so close to perfect that I do not expect any major changes after this iteration, but Reiza always likes to surprise us with even more improvements not even imagined. But I think all but a very few will be fully satisfied with 1.6 tires and physics (and FFB that has been tweaked again to make the most of the changes). If the vehicles do not immediately feel "natural" and authentic, please re-calibrate and reset all your FFB from scratch (Default+) so you are not missing out on a major part of the improvement. The FFB is to sim racers what tires are to real cars--the only contact patch/point through which all performance is translated.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Hamady91

Hamady91 Member

Can you say that compare to other major sims what you tested is close ?

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I only compare with reality (I have some real-world experience...probably more than most). Every sim will have some quirks or features of its physics that work better or worse. I don't care if AMS 2 feels like any existing sim, since none are perfect or always right. But, AMS 2 is the only title that can actually trick my brain now and again into thinking I am in a real race car.

I love rally racing. EA WRC has amazingly detailed and crafted stages based on real WRC rally stages. The car physics is so cartoonish and even things like water in water splashes with the consistency of thick, wet mud ruin the overall experience. ACC cars feel like bricks, missing a lot of the dynamics of a real race car's suspension. These games have some aspects that are far better than AMS 2...but if the driving itself sucks (as in console-land WRC) or is just inferior (ACC IMO)...it just doesn't do it for me. Etc.

As an internal tester, I try to focus only on a comparison to reality, which I know is also Reiza's benchmark. They are trying to craft a game that can give the feeling of driving and racing a wide variety of vehicles. With 1.6, I think the job us largely done. Good, because there are lots of other things we are hoping AMS 2 will do well, and now they can get some additional focus. But if the physics qualities were not achievable, I would not care if the rest of the game was good or bad because I wouldn't invest my time playing it. Yes, I am a hard marker ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. stealthradek

stealthradek I know nothing. AMS2 Club Member

I agree, the physics feel "non-digital" in AMS2 contrary to any other title, thus the comparison to other titles is unnecessary.

I love that Reiza are willing to do things their way as it expands the spectrum of available "feel" for the car in the simracing games market.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Burl

Burl Member

Currently, the general consensus is that iRacing's rain is the most consistently believable and detailed, anyone able to speak on if the AMS2 1.6 rain physics behave in a way that might surpass it, or at least be comparable in terms of how you drive it and how it feels? Curious on how much this tire update effects rain racing, or if the rain/weather itself needs to be reworked in order to be "realistic"-ish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Greenblob

Greenblob New Member

I am curious to see how the AMS2 1.6 update affects overall graphics performance. I really love the graphically updated track surface, racing line/debris and trackside candy they added to Cascaval in 1.5.6, so am hopeful that level of detail makes it to the other tracks. Thats got to be a lot of work! I wonder if it will come at a significant gpu processing cost?

I have used Lossless Scaling on AMS2 with only its scaling feature, and it's great. For me it's indistinguishable from AMDs current in-driver scaling feature (which is a good thing). When I play Assetto Corsa Competizione I enable both scaling and frame generation in Lossless scaling as ACC seems terribly GPU inefficient on my system. In short - LS is very impressive, especially considering its only $7 or so on Steam. For sim racing I can easily recommend it if you only want to upscale and there is no inbuilt upscale feature in the driver of the specific GPU you are using. IMO the frame generation is amazing overall, but isn't perfectly suited for Simracing as it occasionally struggles with cars ahead making them a little "jelly like" which for me anyway, once noticed became increasingly irritating and couldn't be unseen. Overall very cool software though and super useful in other scenarios if you have a high refresh rate monitor and an older card.

For clarity I'm on a 4k low refresh 60hz monitor, upscaling from 1440 to 4k, with an AMD 7800XT gpu. ACC frame gen set at 2x going from locked 30fps to display 60fps.

Hope it helps!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.