1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 Dedicated Server Tool / SteamCMD Support

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Dave Stephenson, May 29, 2020.

1. Svenny

Svenny New Member

You can log those issues here.

2. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, there was mentioning of a dedicated thread being created for the multiplayer logs, but that hasn't been created yet, not a lot of point in having the logfile created, when there isn't a thread to post them, especially since the logfile gets overwritten each time you launch the game, so when people run into issues today, and not tomorrow, there is no point in uploading the logfiles, because the needed info is lost..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Svenny

Svenny New Member

So I've been doing some more LUA learning and I'm getting close to a alpha script.

What has been acheived so far:
    1. Dynamic rotation selection.
    2. Random Slots for P/Q/R sessions.
    3. Weather event probability per total rotations, single rotation or per session.
    4. Weather weigths (Higher weigths = more likely to occur)
    5. Weather exlcusion - assign zero weight.
    6. Random Weather for random slot selection.
      1. It will either select a weather event up or down from that dyanimcally to fill surrounding slots.
      2. The Session length is also used to control the weather progression
    7. Option for Race Date to be current DS system date.
    8. Option for session start times to be randomly selected and based on surrounding session times.

I've also been thinking of having a list or cars and tracks that also gets randomly selected.
    I'll start a new thread for this when released so it's easier to find and not dilute this thread.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Hey guys,
    So I posted this thread a while back:

AMS2 update during league multiplayer races

Turns out I was wrong in my assumption about why the multiplayer was crashing (not update related) and all the drivers getting disconnected from the server. I finally figured out why this issue keeps happening.
    As a way to clean up the log file from getting too large and impacting multiplayer sessions, I usually delete the "sms_stats.json" file every week. Turns out, when I deleted the file, the Dedi server would crash and everyone would get disco'ed after 1st Practice/Quali session as the file gets generated. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

This was never an issue in the past or with PCars2. Anyways from now on, I'll just manually clean up the contents of "sms_stats.json" and leave the file in place. Just thought I would share with anyone that might encounter this issue.

5. Roy Niessink

Have you tried to change the "history_length" value to a different number in the sms_stats_config.json file inside the lua_config folder to keep the file clean?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Asturbo

Asturbo Member AMS2 Club Member

I do it periodically and what you mention never happened to me. Of course, I do it with the server stopped and when it starts, automaticaly creates a new file. If you delete the log while the server is online, it is possible that some unwanted problem will occur when it tries to write to a file that doesn't exist.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roy Niessink

and for what it's worth, we are seeing a larger number of disconnection since the latest update, not sure if it has to do with the extra logging they added to ams2 regarding the multiplayer, or if Steam has been a bit iffy, but my guess would be it's a ams2 issue.

unfortunately the dedicated thread for the multiplayer logs hasn't been created yet, hopefully that will be here soon though...

8. DaWorstPlaya

Good point, I've never messed with that but it might be time to. Thanks for the tip.
    What do you normally set yours to?

9. DaWorstPlaya

Luckily, our experience has been the opposite (knock on wood). The MP code has been super stable and we haven't seen any disconnects (unless the user has a specific problem with their install). The newest build even fixed an issue with the sky flickering when other cars would pit. I have to say, between the physics/tire model update and multiplayer stability we've encountered, this is the best version on AMS2 yet. I finally feel, this is a step up above PCars2.

10. Roy Niessink

for our league stuff we use the JustRace platform, which creates a new one each instance, however on my seperate server i have it set to 12, meaning 4 raceweekends (4x practice,4x qually,4x race), it depends really on how many session you want it to keep yourself

11. Roy Niessink

yeah, it might have been just some Steam related things as well though, hard to tell really

12. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Keeping it lowish will also help one type of freeze that can occur if the combo fo the large file and IO speed of the drive lead to the write taking too long

• Like Like x 1
  13. Snooops

Snooops New Member

Hi,
    i just setup a AMS2 Server and i'm wondering about the purpose. What does it mean that a player who is first connecting be the host, if i have a server? Or is it just like the first one is the one who is able to control the server as far as allowed in the server settings?
    But the connection during the race is still through the server, not through the first player, right? And how is the PING working? My friends got a good ping directly to the IP of the server, but ingame the Ping is allways really crappy yellow/red.

14. Dave Stephenson

Yes, that's about the size of it. If the server restricts all settings then there's little the host can do other than advance at the end of the session. His local game will also controll any AI that are in the race, check people have chosen appropriate vehicles for the server ocfig, compile the final submitted results etc.

Yes traffic to other players goes directly throuhg the server nad not via the host. they are through the server, additionally the server becomes the time authority so the host does not have the extra traffic burden of doing tymesyncs

iirc the pings shown in the ui on dedi servers are still the ping to each user respectively as it would be in p2p. That would mean the ping would be your ping to the server plus your freinds ping to the server plus a little for the packet relay

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Bernd18995

Bernd18995 Member

Is there a chance that you guys could move the AI aggression settings to the dedi instead of what the host used last time ?

16. Dave Stephenson

it's on my radar but I can't give you a timescale atm

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. DaWorstPlaya

Thanks @Dave Stephenson , this is really good info.

18. Svenny

Svenny New Member

I've started a new thread and uploaded the initial release here Dedciated Server - Dynamic Race Bot [DRB] for the Dedicated Server Dynamic Race Bot of DRB lua script.
    PS: If a MOD sees this, can they fix up spelling mistake " should be Dedicated" in new thread...o_O

Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. DaReaLDeviL

DaReaLDeviL www.RacePlace.de

@Dave Stephenson I need your help on this one please

I have some issues with my dedicated servers

I run 2 dedicated server with each on a seperate fiber conection.
    1x 100mbit down 50mbit up (busniess line) 100-120ms ping
    1x 500mbit down 250mbit up (private line) 300-400ms ping

If I run a selfhosted Server on my Gaming PC on the 500mbit line all pings are about 50-70ms

So my question is what is so different in the handling of the traffic that I run in this conection problem. Where is the config file for my Gaming PC peer to peer that it is this good and my dedicated server struggle so hard?

20. Svenny

Svenny New Member

@Dave Stephenson - It might be still too earlier to know, but will the "more robust dedicated server tool" support lua addons?