1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2021 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I wholeheartedly disagree, good Sir. In most cases you can dial-in the setup very well and the car behaves like it should. While in some cars, like GT4, you are not able to change many parameters in the setup, in most other cars you are able to adjust the setup to your liking. I have to bring up again the Stock Car 2019 which was in the beginning rather difficult to drive. Today, however, I can adjust the setup and it flies over the Nordschleife like on rails.

2. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Personally I think the general trend is for a crispier and more crystalline car behavior throughout AMS2. I don't actually find cars are all over the place more or less than they were before. For sure the sweet spot for many cars has changed place by quite a bit and all the old setups I have now are too unstable and need significant revamping, but frankly the DNA hasn't changed that dramatically IMO

3. Ricardokil

Ricardokil Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The proof is just to play the game, is the rain animation on the windshield good for you? Is braking a car and driving normal for you? We all know that Reiza is a small team, that they did a great job in the games that preceded AMS2, but are we going to be frank? AMS2 is still very disappointing, wants to make clues to the game, all right, but for what more cars? Stockcar 2020/21 need adjustments, GT3, GT4, the formulas, it seems that they never played AMS1, and they are defending as if it were religion, do you want proof of dissatisfaction? go to forums and you’ll see a lot of criticism, more than a year of release, and there’s no light when you push the Stockcar push-to-pass.
    It seems not, but I support the game, praise here when they get it right, but frankly a lot of people just continue to insist on AMS2 for Reiza's good record in previous games, if this was Studio's first game, it was a big chance of bankruptcy, they were wrong in launching a game even 1.0 very unfinished, make mistakes in content planning, this graphic engine is proving not to be for a game like Motorist, it can be used for other types of games, not for Motorist.
    I know that the European and American market is big and money, but why didn't they focus on Brazilian motorsport at the beginning, with the national tracks and categories, the HB20 chain? new Sprint race? crown of brands? Ha and all remade and not ported, let the game well refined, and when it had everything round, Single player with good championships, great IAs, robust multiplayer service, force feedback all working round, then yes migrate to international categories, AMS2 is different, there are no more mods, until that they took off, we have a lot of categories of cars, semi ready and coming more, we have big differences of track made for the game and ported, before the moders helped with unofficial high quality content, and many didn’t even notice, but now these problems appear, Reiza has to finish what she already has, leave it round, then leave to launch new content, but every development update that comes out, a lot of people put the reiza icon up, and the problems continue, in this beat, AMS2 will have 10 years of development and not 3.
    NOTE, Any Reiza employee responds to what I'm saying. I hope I am very wrong that I wrote here, I hope that Reiza will make me come here and write only compliments in a while and prove that I am wrong, but I don't think that will happen.

• Dislike x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Name one other sim that has not also been under continuous development for its entire lifetime: there are none.

Name one other sim developer that has been more open and honest about this long path and evolution: there are none.

Yes, it would be nice to have a finished game as v1.0. The only way to be able to afford that is to have a big publisher backing your project. We know what happens when that happens...or do you need more than 20 examples of high promise followed by abject failure? I support an independent, self-publishing developer like Reiza because I agree with where they want to take AMS 2 at its completion point. The trade-off is that there is a journey to go on to get there. If you are not interested (or patient enough) in the journey part, then just wait for the final product in a year or two. Most people can still have a lot of fun with the WIP product we have now and it is already pretty good value for the investment required.

Comments like the Madness [graphics] engine not being suitable for racing or driving games are so beyond credibility that they don't deserve a response.

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Juan Reinoso

Juan Reinoso Doctor SimRacing AMS2 Club Member

+1
    +1
    +17273844859383747585937

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just like the trade off of "releasing an incomplete game" is to endure the valid criticisms (only the valid ones, sure). Once the game is available on the market, its only natural that it is compared to the competition as it is now, not as it is expected to be in the next 1 or 2 years. This isn't stock market where the value now is measured by how much we believe the company is worth in the future.

The sword cuts in both sides. There are users who come here with awful demands and lack of logic just as there are users here who behave with a certain level of complacency/fanboyism. The thing is, discussions born from these clashes of users are generally useless.

Edit: just to make it clear, I believe today AMS2 is worth my money, just as I find the game amazing and incredibly frustrating at the very same time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

So it's an anecdotal thing without answering the "W" question. I agree with many points about the user experience, that wasn't the topic, though. It was about the SC2020/21.
    Ever tried "adjustments" by yourself, when you state, the SC2020/21 need it? Because the car WILL need them, with one single setup.
    And the P2P lights are indeed needed still... EDIT: After revisiting this, this is true for wheel lights, the windscreen exterior lights and DRS lights on the wheel.

Many of your points are founded on actual issues and i also critizise them, but the topic was about the SC2020 (which i tested a lot over the course of its overhaul) and until now i just read "needs adjustments", "physics strange" etc.. without any context. This isn't feedback, this is moaning, sorry to say it that way. The car isn't what some of you guys expect it to be. It's a sh!tbox IRL and it's conjecture on what you are basing your evaluations here.

Sure, it's also good to vent from time to time, but overall it's not very useful, if you expect any progress.

An example, of what the feedback needs, is to have context, even if i disagree in this point there and it has a lot of hyperbole (that i also used to do a lot) is the post by @Simmo99x , it's explaining what the issue exactly is for him with the cars.

This is still based on subjectively experienced measurement and can be hard to prove, but at least it tells us the "what".
    Never played it. I just ran it nearly 1000h in the main menu. I used to let my AI drive against Juan above in SRS! :p

It's proving to not to be a physics engine for a game like Automobilista 2 because..........
    So let's clear up that again:
    Just because it doesn't drive like AMS1, doesn't mean it's inaccurate. AMS1 also had some really strange quirks, believe it or not.

And do a multi race championship with less than 10 tire sets, that will then start to switch back to 10 and AI becomes slower, with this setting in AMS1 after a Championship resume and you will probably also have a very frustrating experience at some point with our beloved predecessor.^^
    AMS1 doesn't like combining TM and Fanatec hardware and still CTDs when using the Drift Class. It received it's usable HUD after about 2 years and so on and so on...
    I also like to idealize AMS1, but it has come a way longer way over the course of the Stock Car games and still had some frustrating points...so yeah, you probably know it, when you have used AMS1. Maybe AMS2 will need more than 2 years.

I agree totally with this here, for example, just to make you clear, that i'm not religiously defending the title, just "because".
    For me AMS2 is amazing as long as it doesn't come to an AI race weekend with different sessions. There it falls apart for me and becomes incredibily frustrating with its inconsistency.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Cheesenium

Cheesenium Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Might be you. Generally, AMS 2 is an improvement over pcars 2 in many ways. There are a few classes that are underwhelming but mostly a major improvement over pcars 2 and even some of the competitors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey guys, how does the reverse button work? When I press it the car briefly goes into reverse but then goes into first gear.

10. CrimsonEminence

Goshdamnit @Juan Reinoso stop that optimistic thingy!! :D
    Are you using the reverse button on an actual button or? Because i think, you have to hold it. Are you using automatic gearbox?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Quirks or not, I've yet to play an ISImotor 2 sim that feels as dynamic and detailed as AMS2. That alone is worth something in the racing sim universe. At least to me as I remember when ISImotor 1 was the new thing that felt weird at the time :D.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. CrimsonEminence

If you really want to give it a try, IMO try the Lamborghini Super Trofeo EVO Mod from the rF2 workshop and camber/pressure the tires correctly, give the car more rake and (surprise surprise, it also needs a good setup in general, to reveal its amazingness). It's driving circles in terms of depth around even official cars in this game and other games then...just my impression.

Know, what comments say about this car? Tires are way too slippery...do you know why? Surprise....Setup :D (reminds me of a certain title and comments about its road contact)

13. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I specifically mentioned ISImotor 2, because I have felt rF2's ISImotor whatever-the-version-number-is-officially. That was a breath of fresh air. Too bad the product on top is... well it's a DIY experience that I have no time for.

Thanks for the tip anyway. I will try that if I end up buying rF2 again :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

My Stock Car 2020 dash has a light that works ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. CrimsonEminence

What is meant (EDIT: seems meant and associated by me, to be precise) with the P2P light, are the lights at the upper corner of the windscreen of cars, indicating if a car is on P2P right now or at cooldown time. I doubt, your dash implements such a thing to the car 3D models :p

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I spent many long years exasperated by rF2, despite also loving it.

ACC was terrible in its initial state...did we all forget?

The majority of racing titles were terrible in their initial states and stayed that way.

This is part of the territory, which is why I spoke of intentions. Not that there are any excuses for bad design or unfinished items, but its like a romantic relationship. You can either work on it and help it grow, or, stand back and be frustrated that it isn't exactly what you want today. And it is perfectly reasonable that may people do not want to "invest in a relationship"--they just want a finished and polished product. Good luck in this sector to find that, but in the short run, Reiza's path for AMS 2 is not going to be a compatible partner.

17. 2ndLastJedi

Here is my dash, it has a functioning P2P light, lights up when P2P is available ;)
    Screenshot (56).png

18. CrimsonEminence

It's still not what i mean. (Surely DRS and P2P lights on the 3D model of the wheel also still await implementation, though, not what i initially associated with P2P-Light, actually so there is a misunderstanding going on of my supposed association of another report probably)
    I mean the light on the upper corner of the windscreen, so that spectators and other drivers can see, if a car has activated P2P or cooldown.
    p2p.png

• Informative Informative x 3
  19. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Frankly I find some comments on the need for some improvements in AI and championship mode can be agreed with.
    But then there is a bunch of conjectures and personal beliefs pushed as universal truths on physics and braking, the commercial and financial aspects of publishing a game or even how popular is the content added: basically personal thoughts (a polite way to say frustration venting) from people not familiar with Reiza internal stuff.
    The bottom line for me is that Reiza has promised us a journey of two years of development of a sim with a physics engine (maybe you are confusing with ACC which runs on a graphics engine, because Madness Engine is a car physics engine developed for that purpose only, unlike UE4) that has a lot of potential previously not put to full use.

IMHO it is becoming more evident at every step of the way that the players are in for a great driving experience, by far much better and much more credible than all the other sims I have used (AC, ACC, iracing and RR). In this respect I find that Reiza is delivering on their promise.
    Granted, there are cars that still need some more attention but over the 100+ cars the vast majority of which driving well I can't see the reason for this catastrophism or whining. There are way many more cars and classes than one can drive. If one is not yet where you want it to be find those that are good and let the developers do their improvement process as they have demonstrated in this year that they don't just leave the old content behind (the way SMS was doing for instance).

I am also hoping for certain things to be adjusted/improved: from soft/hard tires operating ranges, to MP upgrades like session restart, race director privileges, to AI consistency improvements and others.

However, like others were saying, I see no benefit in ranting that all physics is broken with no evidence, that Reiza should block any additional content until the core game modifications are made, that Madness Engine is doomed, that Reiza should rather put 10 GT3 cars in that class than provide more classes with smaller rosters and all similar "carpet bombing" style criticism often as much shouted with hyperbolic exaggerations as it is based on little real arguments or knowledge/understanding of the reasons.

We should always keep in mind where the simracing world is coming from: a bunch of sims that are more often than not older than half a dozen years, with comparable physics quirks and no hope whatsoever that the developers will fix them: it's really grotesque to see the community bringing as an example iracing, RR, AC, RF2 which are there since very long time and yet have significant shortcomings that are apprently so easily condoned, while Reiza gets crucified for not sorting in one year what is probably the most complex sim engine in the market.
    When we do that, I think we as a community of simracers should feel a bit ashamed about our selfishness and unfairness...

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. 2ndLastJedi

Oh yeah that light, i cant make that work :p but from my POV in game the only one that matters for me are those in my view, ie on the wheel...or dash in my case because i have the wheels turned off. Still great that even though the in game one doesnt work, at least we can get it anyway thanks to SImHub and other dash studios.
    It would be fantastic in Reiza could get the DRS light to be pushed out to shared memory along with a few other things we are missing, lights, TC and ABS etc...

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.