1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Any updates on the Advance Damage System coming in 1.5?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

To be clear, there is a game update in May, but the next Dev Update in which we will discuss v1.5 developments will be published in June shortly before V1.5 is actually released. Naturally, in it we will elaborate on what you may expect from those specific developments.

• Informative Informative x 15
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

When I read this I immediately thought Oh no not something like iRacing - where the car/rear is lost if you just get slightly too high slip angle.
    Because beside its not fun driving this way then all the fast drivers (like the pro guys) are only fast because they practice and practice to learn exactly how to not getting into even the slightest to high slip angle.
    But this is not how RL pro drivers drive - because they constantly goes in to the zone where the slip angle is slightly violated.
    Hope you guys at Reiza bear this in mind;)

ByTheWay: One of the reasons AMS2 is my goto sim AT THE MOMENT is because its closer the RL slip angle forgivingness than some other sims. :whistle:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Doesn't need to be so sharp that you insta-spin. It can be more like: "yes you can contain the drift but you will lose a lot more laptime than driving cleaner and closer to the peak. Hence you can't go from lewd drift to lewd drift without paying a price".
    This is an example of what should not be remotely possible IMHO (seems like a rally stage atm)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Slightly - the man said :whistle:

6. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I know the main topic is physics, but one of the sim main strenghts is it's single player experience. Any new improvements to the AI planned for 1.5, specifically with it's 2 main issues, pack racing and hesitation to overtake?

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

At this point i would also want the AI to have improvements in order to make single player racing more of a viable choice. They are still too hesitant to push for an overtake even at the maximum aggression level. Project Cars 2 on the other hand if they see an oppening even at 60% aggression, they sure as hell will go for it and it makes the racing super intense and great.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Well this thread blew up overnight...

Interesting reads on physics and other subjects...

Whilst I've had fun with AI in various games, I can always game them, AMS2 is closest I've got to thinking that the AI is actually thinking about my driving and doing things to go against what I'm doing to not hit me or make an overtake... But there's still an AI path that is easily used as the edge of the track instead of the edge of the track, something that exists in every other title...

There's far too many limitations that are born from a lack of super computers in everyone's houses... Coupled with a sophisticated physics model for the player and there's just not enough CPU power for a highly sophisticated AI...

It's fun for the casual days that I just want to do a quick race in (although that time has been completely replaced by modding now), but if I wanted to be serious about racing there's nothing that compares to racing online... The competition is just so much better even with the crashfests in an open lobby...

So I'll echo those who are calling for the MP improvements here again... It's AMS2's biggest issue and I'm hoping to see some progress this year... If they can get that fixed by making dedicated servers a viable option and/or give proper admin controls and statistics for all who entered the server then the sky is the limit...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Kim

Kim Mr. Andersen in SIM AMS2 Club Member

It's the custom ffb in this case(and som skill) that makes it so extreme. (watch video(if it's not to pain full) it explains it).

If Reiza ever wants to have contest with prizes for the winner (i belive Renato mentions it at one point) i hope they make it so you can only choose between default and default+ so the contests will be the same for all in respect to ffb.

I havent treyed the costom file my selfe.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  10. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

No, thank you; I’m afraid I’m already too misinformed and opinionated to handle another AMS2 video at the moment….

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It would be great to have ai improvements although I won't be bothered at all if the new update "breaks" the ai a bit. For bigger updates I think it is fair to expect a bit of that. These guys aren't just gonna abandon the ai and if something borks, they'll get to it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The_Neo_One

The_Neo_One AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

Hey Mike. As someone who really enjoy your YouTube work I should say that the "Typical YouTuber" is someone who makes effortless content and usually with some pinch of polemic, just to go viral and and engage viewers in the comments. That is sadly, what the social media algorithm likes. You and GP laps are not "Typical Youtubers" because the effort that you guys puts on your content is noticeable for anyone who seeks to get out of that avarage content.

• Agree Agree x 19
  13. Harry H

Harry H Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice driving, indeed.... but the BMW is a stick shift, so it's not realistic to drive with paddles. Would it make any difference, perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

I was just thinking the same. People who just like to drive the car as intended (manual clutch, manual shifter, heel and toe) are at a clear disdvantage against a driver like in that video.

I'm not against accesibility, but may be there must be some balancing to be done I think. Those upshifts/downshifts/upshifts in sequence, are surreal for anybody driving with stick shift, h&t revmatching while trying to not upset the car.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Scar666

Driver aids should always come with added weight for me... I don't care if the cars have them IRL... But those that didn't definitely should have added weight...

Take Auto clutch as a different example of aids giving unfair advantages...

Sure standing starts are terrible with the auto-clutch on, but the amount of time gained around the rest of the lap is immense to the point that it's worth activating after the start if you want to find an extra half a second or more to the competition...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Unrelated, but is the Formula Junior based on any real life model or is it a generic shape? I know the historic cars tend to be pretty heavily based on certain cars but I can't find the right one that matches this

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That is also the reason why I demand for a long time that one sees at least in the TT tables who has driven with which driving aids. I evaluate a time quite differently if it was driven with clutch and H-shift. In pCARS2 and AMS1 this was of course visible. Why Reiza does not implement this here is a mystery to me.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Cheesenium

Cheesenium Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think if Aston Martin still on the table, there will be the latest GTE for GTE class as Pcars 3 has the GTE.

The V12 older car will probably be in GT Open.

I do want both to be honest. With the V12 sound like a V12.

Also, can we have the Aston Martin Lola Group C?

19. Scar666

I'd love to get a legal model of the Group C Aston Martin for my WSC 1989 mod...

Obviously the 89 model would be best... For now I've just got to make do with downgrading the GTP...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. lunamoon

lunamoon Active Member

This video shows really well what I think it's the biggest quirk with the handling in AMS2 - I've had some lengthy discussions with my friend group about this (some of whom who work in motorsports) and we've reached the conclusion that almost feels like the front tyres continue to give grip way past what should be their slip angle peak, making you able to twist the wheel very aggressively and slide through the corners. Essentially the fastest way of driving in AMS2 currently is by throwing your wheel from side to side and taking advantage of the endless front end grip and slide the rear to gain lap time. Doesn't really feel like you ever run out of front grip, and when the rear slides you still have way too much grip and can catch massive slides that you probably shouldn't be able to (as cool as you may feel haha).

I feel like this has improved a bunch compared to when I started playing though (Dec 2021), and some cars are definitely better than others (the vintage cars like DTM/Pro Car are the worst right now imo. This is specially noticeable in ovals too, with the Indycars basically sliding the rear the entire lap lol), but still a very different experience to any other sims I have played before. That's not to say it's not fun for me, I love sliding around through corners and feeling like a hero, but it definitely still has it's quirks. Hopefully v1.5 should be able to address some of this, as I know it's one of the main complaints amongst my friends who play with me and many other people in the community as well. I'm positively optimistic seeing the planned changes for the future, the Formula Inters already feel like a step in the right direction, so I'm definitely excited to try the updates on more "tail happy" cars :D

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1