1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Tanke83

Tanke83 New Member

Please, they should include in the versions of the Barcelona Circuit of the year 1991, 1992, 1993, and 1994, the latter being the exclusive variation of mobile chicane with tires as a result of the accident of Ayrton Senna in Imola. He entered the circuit itself for fear that a pilot would collide with the wall since it was very close to the track. In 1995, that curve was dismissed as we know it today. It would be important to implement the classic circuit since no one has done it before.
    I attached a video

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

In general, the more Barcelona variants the better, but I would prefer the 1994 layout to be the last version included in the sim ... sure, the world spins on, but I don't think anyone (drivers, spectators, fans) really enjoyed anything about that particular race. Adding that d--n chicane only reminded everyone that day what (who, rather) was missing....

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

Hum... you may also be right, I do notice that pivoting in some cars, like some classic formulas, I try to avoid abusing it because it feels unnatural behavior, either way I hope reiza can find the balance in fixing it, for example we need to still be abble to make a 2002ti oversteer properly because thats how you race this kind of car.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

My thoughts too, it would be like adding the 1994 Spa, which i don't think people remember fondly same with Catalunya
    Bel94(Eau Rouge1).jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Mikk is an alien but that is beside the point @Renato Simioni can you address the connection between physics and FFB especially custom files. It is my understanding that custom FFB files don't change the physics of AMS2 or the cars but only how they are interpreted to the wheel and thus the driver.
    In Mikk's videos he is using @Danielkart 's custom file which eliminates the "light" feeling on the wheel when grip is lost as you would with with Default or Default +. Daniels FFB allows you to push through the grip loss and hang the car limit and thus go faster (at least that is how I interpret it) Try it for yourself. Same is true with flat spotting a tire. In custom files you can eliminate any feeling of flat spotting a tire and not to mention all the lines of code for slip/crossover and scrub threshold found in the files that you can adjust to whatever feels the best to you. So when we talk about physics, tires and grip my question is is how much does FFB files play into it?

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

IMO FFB doesn’t make a driver quicker, but can help them to get quicker easier

7. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Apropo TimeTrail,
    Is this ok that you can enable driveing aids (brakeing assist/steering assist) with F1 or F2 keys?
    Does this not influence the car behavior to get faster laptimes.Now add a custom ffb file to it and i wonder if the result is not a little bit of cheating ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

Maybe there could be something like showing what config and assists people are using in the time trial tables, If there was a way to compare your time to people that are on similar configurations to you or something, but not removing the options entirelly or doing something retarded like Forza where using manual clutch makes the car shift faster. But either way I cant say that this bothers me too much.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

A lot IMHO. And it is the reason why always IMHO, fiddling with FFB core is masking/changing radically what the physics are communicating, hence often when we discuss physics and we are on radically different FFB we are like talking a different language

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Theodore Schultz

Try daniel's custom ffb file. I can switch between default and custom and depending on the car and circuit and I can be 2 seconds or more faster with daniels file.

edit: but my concern has nothing to do with TT or TTOTW as I could care less about those as I will never compete with the guys on the leader boards but about how it relates to physics and how they really can't be talked about independently imo.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Both belong together only in combination it becomes a match. Physics is the diamond, FFB is the grinding of the rough diamond

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

Pure greatness!

13. Theodore Schultz

100% agree and that is my questions to Renato. I sorta understand that he is talking about a coding issues with the tire model and that it should be fixed but others chiming in on this car feels this way and that car feels this way, a lot of that can depend on what FFB file you are using. Again one of the things that make AMS2 great but also difficult to talk about in terms of physics.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I use his files and I feel quicker due to me having a better feeling of the car than with the default FFB variations. You can probably change the FFB in any sim and that could make you quicker or slower depending on what it communicates.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

IMHO auto shifting and auto clutch should only be allowed.
    But i don't play that feature,me too slow anyway...:)

16. Theodore Schultz

I agree but part of being quicker with Daniels file is the lack of weightless feeling on the wheel when you have "lost grip". With default you have to "back off" to get the weight back into the wheel and feel the car beneath you. That doesn't happen with Daniels file. You can turn in as hard as you want and never lose the weight of the wheel but you will still spin out or understeer but you always feel the car under you.

When I know a car and track combo well and want to try for a PB, I will put on Daniels file. However, if I don't know the car or track that well and I use Daniel's file, I don't have a great sense for the limit and will most likely spin or go off track. In those cases I will use default or a different custom file that lets me know where the limit is more clearly. I will be slower but I am less likely to lose the car.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

I agree that it is quite possible to manipulate the FFB profile and/or in-game settings to make every vehicle an AMS2 incredibly* easy to drive--at the total expense of simulating any experience that resembles driving any kind of motorized vehicle. Why anyone would want to retain such settings for actual use, or to utilize them for competitive advantage, escapes me....

* i.e., incredible as in not credible, not believable, a total an utter fiction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

Yes, there are people who like to be faster in TT even if this means using auto clutch and using paddles and not using H pattern shifter in historic cars (as in the YT video), and for sure it’s much faster. But personally I always try to use the most accurate historical representation of the car I am driving, even if this means I will be 2sec slower on timed laps. There’s no right or wrong and everyone is entitled to enjoy AMS2; that said I always have a pinch of salt when some YouTuber describes the physics of the car not accurate enough. Some physics feedbacks for historical cars might be misleading if you are not using a proper H pattern shifter with greater clutch delays as when you are using paddle shifters with quicker inputs, as the way the clutch engages can change car behaviour in corners etc.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Very debatable/tend to disagree with that..."clutch delay" is something you don't really have if you hotlap with H-Shifter and proper technique.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, however I believe clutch is faster when done correctly (as it should be), it certainly functions that way off the line. The downside of course is that you are far more likely to make a mistake. Would be really interested to hear confirmation from someone at Reiza as to whether or not a good, full manual shift is quicker than the same without rev. matching and autoclutch.

As always though, I'm going to warn about absolutes, some people here are posting about playing on controllers, more and more wheels don't even come with a stick shift unless you go out of your way to buy it seperately. That in itself is a good enough reason before we even consider people with accessibility issues like having to use hand controls.

It always amazes me how some of the more serious folk here genuinely suggest moves that would alienate a huge chunk of players. Not everyone wants to be in e-sport mode all the time.

• Agree Agree x 6