1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. ayrton2388

ayrton2388 Member AMS2 Club Member

Any chance you can share what this partnership implies? Sharing already-made assets or code? Reiza devs working on Straight4's physics engine? Reiza artists working on their 3d assets? Both teams working on physics updates to be shared in both sims?

What i'm actually looking for here is anything specific that you are allowed to share, that will convince us AMS2 development truly won't be affected. :D The press release was pretty vague, and i can't wrap my head around how a partnership will not take resources (man-power) from Reiza.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

Ian is all over the place. I find it a very bad decision to be honest. Remember when they were going to sell a console to compete with Sony and Xbox and he was fully convinced? Also remember Project Cars 3 ? They left almost all their supporters for dead and promised lots of things and that it was the best thing ever. Also, he was very rude on the forum.
    Then there was the atrocious fast and the furious game and the mobile game.
    I respect Reiza very much because they try to get everything out of an engine. That is certainly not what Ian Bell does.
    I personally think if they will work together it is the end of Reiza and even if it isn't then their philosophy will get very much hurt. Because Ian Bell isn't so much about getting the most out of an engine but getting a title out every few years.
    I found it stellar that Reiza is still finding so many wrong things in the engine that the others didn't.
    I hope for the best but fear for the worst.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

People forget AMS 2 is a longterm project. As stated back in 2020. Longterm is not 3 or 4 years. It's like 7 - 10 years. Meanwhile ofcourse Reiza's looking what can be done more to make the best of it. This partnership is really interesting and both can achieve great things. Terrible but great. Furthmore I am vouching for a Reiza Rallye-sim. One that can beat RBR and Dirt Rally 1.

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  4. ayrton2388

ayrton2388 Member AMS2 Club Member

A partnership like the one between SMS and Reiza could also mean Reiza using Straight4's engine for something like AMS 3. I think Ian Bell mentioned they already have a vertical slice of their new sim. A new project (Ams 3) could bring in a lot more money than a few new paid DLCs. Most games make most of their money during the launch week / month.

For what it's worth, i hope i'm dead wrong about this, and they'll be working on Ams 2 for years to come.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Cassini

Cassini 3D Artist and Video Editor AMS2 Club Member

From what I've read on the Straight4 news page, we will have news about this partnership from Renato in a few days. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I will hold off my next GPU upgrade to see what is needed to run it on my G2 with 90fps. Was considering the 4090 this weekend but now I may just have to wait to see what engine they use. 4090 is strong but will it be enough?

7. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I don’t get the negativity and paranoia. A partnership is an investment from both parties in each other .
    It offers less restrictions to collaborate and sharing of assets and resources.
    both sides need to be successful to make it work . So abandoning anything is counterproductive.
    It’s a win win situation .
    Nothing will happen overnight . But both titles developments can only be streamlined from here on .

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yikes I had forgotten the "console" I dont know what the hell was that about.

I think the YouTube guy, Ogonski?? Is the game director for GTR Revival. Dont really know his pedigree regarding racing sim development, but if it's as big as his ego, then it's gonna be the best sim ever.

I really dont care much for Ian Bell, but as I said, I did enjoy PC1&2 and am enjoying AMS2 a lot, so I just hope this joint venture makes both games better.

• Like Like x 3
  9. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

This words gonna activates rally war...:eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Laulenture

Laulenture The me of sim racing AMS2 Club Member

I feel like when it comes to AMS2's future with this partnership we fall again to the same question: what kind of access do Reiza have to the madness engine's code? Limited access? Full access?
    Because if they only have limited access to what they can do to the engine idk if this partnership with change much on that front. If the latter this could open pandora's box for AMS2.
    Or neither idk, there's much unknown.

11. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Can you name a single UE based game that has good VR? I can't. I actually hope they don't use UE at all.. It stinks for VR.

The only thing that annoys me about Project Cars 1 is that I didn't pour even more money into it. I trippled the 100 bux I did put into it though.. Should've bet the house on it. :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

I don't get why people are so up in arms about this...

It gives both studios more resources to get things done...

Sure Ian Bell's reputation is what it is, but there's some talented people that work for him who could hold the secret to many of AMS2's issues...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Exactly this. I've been searching on the "Straight 4 studio's" website and press releases and VR isn't even mentioned! This means that the focus of Ian Bell lays elsewhere and that seems to be mass audience since they didn't announce VR but they DID announce console support. So with all due respect, this is not going to the right direction. Focus should be sim racing first, that's PC first and VR first but consoles are mentioned and VR isn't mentioned at all.

So I really hope that Reiza knows what they are doing. CodeMasters is already gone to EA and lost forever (I have zero hope left for WRC 23) and now Reiza is also at danger because of this adventure. Reiza until know always was independent and I really hope that it stays like that.

Because of all this: I'm really looking forward to read from Renato WHAT this cooperation exactly is and means for Reiza studio's, AMS2 and with their focus on sim racing and VR. At this moment it's completely unclear what path this is going and what the idea's are. Is it mass money/mass audience/mass focus on console/less focus on sim racing/no focus on VR. Or isn't it? Without proper VR ANY sim title is lost, my rig only has VR and I'm not going back to screens.

VR like ACC/Rennsport(announced) both with deferred rendering/blurry TAA/level of detail/shadow popin/not working mirrors etc. is not really VR. It's just terrible compared to AMS2.

So I really hope that this subjects gets clarified because this press release of Ian Bell causes more concerns then positive thoughts to be honest since it feels to me that Ian only has dollar signs in his eyes and he tries to buy talent where he could. I really hope that Reiza doesn't fall for this and sold their soul to the devil for a cheap price. Reiza is worth at this moment a thousend times more then whatever Ian Bell has in his mind, I hope that you guys at Reiza keep realizing that.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

On the press release there is mention to a new engine (my bet is it will be heavily based on Madness) so I wouldn't say they aren't going to release VR before its announcement.

I understand being worried but paranoia before the release time is too much :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Console support doesn’t mean simcade and the console market is WAY BIGGER than the VR market

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

madness is owned by EA, not Ian Bellend or reiza

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. TurboHenk

The last thing you mention is exactly where my worries are. The console market is indeed way bigger than the VR market so the current VR user base of AMS2 (which is a HUGE part of AMS2, AMS2 is THE VR sim at this moment) is in danger for the future titles until this is cleared up.

So I'm not sure what part of what I wrote you disagree with. If you're not a VR user then you're not concerned, I understand that, but that doesn't mean that it's not a concern for all the VR users out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TurboHenk

IF this is the case, if they manage to create a new Madness engine (many are against that engine, not me, I think that it's great besides some flaws); then it's all solved probably. Yes I sound maybe a bit overconcerned, but that's because of how much I love Automobilista 2 probably.

19. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I’m just saying that they will focus on the bigger markets probably

20. TurboHenk

Agree and that's exactly why I'm worried.

• Agree Agree x 3