1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. miata_fanboy

miata_fanboy Member

It's a comment under Random Callsigns video "why Project Cars 2 is goated". Could be an impersonation, but i don't know why sb would do that.

2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No, I definitely notice more now than at any other time in my life. It could be because we are exposed to it more now through social media so it is more in your face. In the past you would have to have seenit personally but now there are so many mediums we are exposed to that it is constantly there now. Only way to avoid it is to completely detach from everything

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ricardokil

Ricardokil Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Partnership results in learning for all, yes I think Sims by Lan Bell has a more Simcade direction but not Reiza, despite some criticism, but for me the fact that they work maybe with UR5 seeing demos that this engine is capable of and great job made by Kunos in the UR4, yes, I expect good results from this partnership.

4. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

ACC has terrible image quality in VR. It looks like its generations behind. As a VR only racer I dred the idea of UE for another race sim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree. Unreal Engine has been terrible in VR. I’ve spent probably three times as long in ACC (a dozen hours at least) solely fine tuning VR settings. Although it’s playable, it’s no where near as enjoyable as AMS2 in VR, and I’ve spent maybe 4 hours fine tuning AMS2 in that regard. However, I realize that as a VR-only sim racer, I’m definitely in the minority. I’m grateful that there are at least two titles that look amazing in VR and run smoothly (AMS2 and iRacing…of course the latter has dated graphics but is super sharp and runs smoothly.

Also, while speculation can be fun and entertaining, I find that in the end, no one knows what’s going to happen exactly, not even the parties directly involved. So, since the future is most definitely unknown, I personally choose to take a cautiously optimistic view of it. Will Ian Bell’s GTR Revival be the greatest sim of all time? Will it be better than AMS2 for VR users? Will it even get released? These are all unknowns. What is certain is that AMS2 is fun now, will likely continue to be fun regardless of pace of development, and will eventually be made obsolete by another sim down the road, whether it’s in a year, two, or ten.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I'd suggest caution when it comes to making assumptions about performance vr or otherwise with UE5, from what I've seen a large part of UE5 is the 'resolution scaler' similar to subdividing models to allow for more complexity. The suggestion is that this would allow terrain and far away textures to gradually become more detailed reducing the amount of processing power required.

The most exciting thing about UE5 in my opinion is the way it will change map sizes and/or detail with this new tech but also make them far lighter on hardware.

All of that to say that I wouldn't be surprised if UE5 runs smoother than others across the board. As is often the case, we'll probably see devs. push that to breaking point with detailed 200kmx200km maps, but in racing sims, it could lead to a huge boost in optimisation.

I'm not an expert so if someone knows the engine or terminology better, please explain. If not you can watch the UE5 demo and see the way that the colourful pixel map scales as you get closer to terrain.

Edit: The tech is called nanite:

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  7. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Luckily with PSVR2 console players have access to quality VR. As expected, the people most satisfied with their PSVR2 purchase are those playing GT7. I haven't been able to try the PSVR2/GT7 combo out myself yet but the hardware seems like a nice step up from my Reverb G2.

I really hope GTRR arrives with PSVR support. I want everyone to be able to experience the magic that is AMS2 in VR.

8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

To clarify this: The Studio has full access to the Engines code. Always had since AMS2 is in the works.

• Informative Informative x 16
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Or the other way round. Straight 4 is working on reiza dlc for rf2:p
    I always think the glass is half full. Why would Renato do that if it wouldn't benefit Reiza.
    AMS2 is his baby and he won't give it up until it's the way he wants it to be.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Bizarre Formula

The glass is holding 50% of its volume, whether that is a positive thing or a negative thing depends on whether you are the one pouring or the one drinking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. fischhaltefolie

Yes, it could be half empty for you, That's not how I think and how I live. Makes it easier for me.

Always look on the bright side of life!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

"my glas is half empty" just means, the other half is already down my throat :)
    Prost! Cheers! Salut! Skol! Saúde!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. fischhaltefolie

Or missus was faster.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Laulenture

Laulenture The me of sim racing AMS2 Club Member

That's great to hear. Remember like a year ago, was a big point of speculation.

15. Bizarre Formula

Optimism or pessimism are irrelevant. Objectively, the volume remains the same, regardless of how you perceive it.

You can put whatever spin you want on any situation, the facts will still be the facts. I was, however, just joking.

As far as how you meant it (relating to the partnership), I don't know enough about it to make a guess as to whether it will be a good thing or a bad thing, however, so long as the obligations to AMS2 customers are fulfilled as described and not rushed out, I am quietly hopeful for what it might bring.

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  16. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

you totally mismatch the meaning of being bought by a big company and teaming up as development partners for sharing knowledge and strength.
    A big company buys small companies to regulate their market, small companies team up to be competitive against the big sharks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Well, now that they're partners, I am sure Renato can ask Ian how to solve the shadow problems in VR that seem unattainable for ages.

18. CrimsonEminence

Look mate, there is no value in giving a vague "shadow problems in VR" mention to me without describing the issue, i have my eyes quite frequently on these boards but i'm also not knowing about every detail unfortunately, especially when it comes to multiplayer and VR as 2 examples.

These kind of posts will not get anything done or add something of helpful input to the conversation if done this way.

Filing reports in detail, maybe asking about it with a link to it a bit later if nothing has happened (if not done repetitively each day) may get you a more satisfying reply - or maybe not, depending on how some things are feasible to resolve. (Sometimes there just isn't much to share)

I hope you understand. :)

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Useful x 1
  19. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Should complains about shadows and railing be in bug report?

20. CrimsonEminence

The bug report thread is for bug reports and not for complaining. This means - posting observations and reproducible oddities in the game objectively and detailed is most appreciated.

• Informative Informative x 1