1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Gaspedal

Gaspedal New Member AMS2 Club Member

the physic update sounds great! :)

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 11
  3. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You can innovate, yes, but when said innovations made no sense and you do it purely as a marketing tool for your road cars, then said innovation fails miserably, you deserve the bad rep.

There is just no way a front wheel drive car is going to be faster around corners than a rear or all wheel drive one.

Edit: High power front wheel car, not talking about Touring cars and such.

4. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

The gyrobuss used that "KERS" back in the 50's Gyrobus – Wikipedia

5. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The car was not complete, it actually ran without the hybrid system, that meant only front wheel drive and significant less power, no wonder it was so slow, cut the hybrid of the ts050 to see how slow it will run

That's the thing about that car, the "what if" Nissan didn't pulled the plug so early and actually delivered the finished car instead of that half car we saw, not sure it woulda beaten the audis, porsches or even the toyota but it might at least gave us a good show intead of those depressing runs we got

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Pandytim99

It was supposed to be AWD not front wheel drive, the thing is, for the car to have AWD it needed the Hybrid system, and the thing is it was not complete in 2016 and the car ran with FWD only and with almost half the power it shoulda had

7. Pandytim99

Or maybe ran the car under the what if it was actually complete

But well i doubt we'll get that car anyways

8. Pandytim99

So it woulda been nice for Reiza to hit Panoz up for some cars licensing

Deltawing, a certain gt1 and a certain class winner gt2 woulda been a nice addition

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pandytim99

Same, the only problem is that i suck driving them lol
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

what is nice about mods is they are not restricted to what it was, but could mold it to what it was supposed to be. Actually a fun drive with the FWD and working hybrid system :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Am I wrong believing this Panoz was front engined but rear wheel driven?
    I think I have seen it in TV driven by Kevin Magnussens father Jan and the sound was fantastic.
    Growling like 10 heavy metal bands together:eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Front engine, rear wheel drive indeed. What BMW spent years telling people was the correct way to build cars until they found it may be cheaper to make some FWD ones...

The Nissan was FWD, which is probably part of what rendered it incredibly uncompetitive.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Even at full 100% development it would not have been as fast as the other conventional LMP1, not even at LeMans, not even with a working hybrid.

You will only get anecdotes of how good it could have been by fans of it's concept. I remember an interview with Pascal Vasselon where you could read between the lines how stupid and crazy he thought Nissan had been.
    It might sound great on concept and paper but real life it might be quite different, look at Peugeot right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

And yet I'd still want that Peugeot to be the first in AMS2 over the other Hypercars...

It's weird and wonderful and fits right in with the other weird and wonderful cars in AMS2...

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Spot... on...

Peugeot hyped up how their car didn't need a rear wing, how underbody aero was the optimal solution, and are regretting it. If the track isn't absolutely smooth they immediately fall off the pace from their over-body aero rivals. It may be better theoretically, but not in application.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Scar666

A focus on aero over the body is what ruined F1 and forced them to bring in DRS...

The aero under the car theory is far better for racing... As it also creates more opportunities for mistakes... Hence F1 half went back to it...

Aero over the car is great for grip, terrible for racing... Even MotoGP is finding that out...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Underbody aero is better as an overall series package, but not in a BOP hypercar class where aero efficiency is standardized. F1, IndyCar, CART, sportscar racing all used ground-effect to varying degrees. The racing in F1 was only closer last year because teams hadn't fully extracted the areas they could exploit outwash.

Edit: I agree with you about it being a better solution for regulations, but the Hypercar rules mandated certain maximum downforce and minimum drag levels. Given efficiency is no longer a concern, maximizing the operating window seemed like the biggest target for LMh teams.

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Scar666

Oh don't get me wrong, the regs aren't great and do not help out ground effects based cars... But at least Hypercar seems to have more manufacturer interest than the LMP1 era did...

Peugeot just had their philosophy and only cared about Le Mans... So their operating window is smaller as a result...

F1 racing was still DRS racing last season... I got bored halfway through after trying to get back into the sport...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

I really would love a Panoz car pack, even the latest GT4 is a great one....

Another great car is this one (interview here)

• Agree Agree x 10