1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

PC2 has more content then ASMS2, it has more content than almost any game. Every time I start PC2 again I'm still underwhelmed at the actual driving physics of the cars.

• Agree Agree x 18
  2. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

And that´s part of what GM was driving at in his video, sometimes less is more if the quality is patchy.

In AMS2 and RRE, about half the cars are either reskins or not very enjoyable to drive, for me.

• Disagree Disagree x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Every smorgasbord sim (including the sainted Assetto Corsa) has wide variance in car quality and many cars that feel a bit naff. Sometimes it's the case that there's nothing particularly wrong with a car, just don't like the way it drives. My suggestion is... to drive the cars you actually like.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It can be said for every general sim... Some cars will click some others won't. Some will be perfect on day 1, some will behave like the difficult child

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It's also what your driving style is. Had a great race with Nobkins's team a couple of days ago. Drove the Junior like it was a F-trainer. Overcooked my rear. Until I changed my approaches and I got better and better. Also some cars just suit you very well, and some cars just don't. A footballer will never be good at ballet, and a cricketter will never be good at basketball, but they can however perform a different sport.

6. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I came to the conclusion that just because a game might have 250 cars to choose from does NOT mean you should drive all 250 of them, like you said, some cars you will just not be good at and that is fine. Rather try being better in one specific type or a few, instead of being average in many or just keep on struggling in all at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

This...

It's a broken game with only a few worthwhile choices that aren't misrepresented or just plain terrible... It could of really been something if a proper development cycle was given to it's predecessor and the content gone into an expanded pCARS instead of a sequel...

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I can't speak for RRE but in AMS2 and in my case there's only a handful of cars that drive "badly", far from half!!

You want to see a game with quantity over quality, just go and play GT7.
    There are so many cars that some drive exactly the same despite being completely different!! And I rather enjoy that game still.

Here I can only think of the street cars (Ultima and McLaren) that drive like ass and I think those are some of the less used cars in the game, even if they drove fine. I also have issues with the FWD trash cans in the copas class, but I think that's more my inability to drive them well. :confused:.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Quality isn't patchy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Dainamo

Dainamo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Quantity over quality is a terrible model for a racing sim. Granted, I'd love a lot of content myself, but for a small studio focused on making a more detailed simulation, it's taxing to try to have a bunch of cars and focus on making sure they drive well on top of that. I think Reiza have already delivered a very impressive amount of pretty consistent content as it is so I should be busy for a good while. For me personally, I feel adding more tracks would be a better investment content wise than more cars.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bizarre Formula

I own all of the big sims apart from iRacing for principle of cost ofc.

People are dumping on AMS2 and PC2 but tell me, what are the alternatives for people who like racing lots of different types of cars and like playing in casual servers online?

R3E - Nope, cars are limited to certain favoured types, very few formula cars and the dedicated server tool is a nightmare. (I own all of the content until the Cupra dropped)

AC - Awful interface, looks crazy dated without mods, nice range of cars but don't rate the physics, hosting again can be a pain and I never got on with the feel.

ACC - GT cars only, incredibly restrictive rating system and inability to easily host servers for casual races. Great tyre functionality but incredibly limited and the FFB is not great, spent hours making it 'okay'. Optimisation and vr are horrible.

RF2 - Some good points but playing online is incredibly difficult without casual hosting or organised leagues. Horrible interface.

F1 games - Do a solid job of recreating some of the good bits but doesn't stand up to other sims on physics IMO, driving online open lobbies in those games I tried once or twice and learned to not do that again :D. Used to enjoy doing co-op seasons with my brother though.

Dirt: Great for Rally, tarmac physics ruins it in the MP Rx options. Great in VR.

Which of the above let's me drive a Ferrari Testarossa (50s) or the Brabham 'fancar'?

Oh, that's right, PC2 and AMS2.

Which racing games work best in VR?

Oh, that's right, PC2 and AMS2.

Which are easiest to just jump into a server with friends and drive?

How about dynamic weather?

Seeing a trend?

I get sick of hearing people rag on these two games, what else does what they do better?

I understand that people have different things that they personally want and maybe PC2 and AMS2 don't tick those boxes for them (yet?), but they can absolutely boast functionality that games 3 times the price cannot.

If you hate PC2 and AMS2, fine, more power to you. They are my two favourite sims both for VR and for being able to enjoy driving cars I will never drive in real life and racing with friends and in mini leagues.

I don't agree in the slightest that they are 'not as good' as the others because there is no other game that offers what they do.

I have my own feeling about the season pass in AMS2 and I am holding my frustration until I see how large the Adrenaline pack is, however, AMS is still my number one sim and I will happily assume the role of 'fanboy' in GM's eyes to point out that they offer things no other option does, but hey, those ones are way better obviously.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Ivan Jurković

Ivan Jurković Member

You could make same statment year ago or two years ago while diffs where not fixed. Very bad attitude well established omong ams2 fanbase... For example I don't drive vintage cars, but when I do for example on AC they seam to have reasonable handling.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  13. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Truth, only AMS2 and PC2 are super easy to set up a race online within a minute and get it going. It is one of the many reasons AMS2 is my most played racing game of all because whether it is racing against AI or online, it is all ready to go in a few moments.

AC may have infinite mods but the AI is abysmal and UI was the worst thing in existence until fans fixed it with Content Manager.

• Like Like x 2
  14. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The single fact that you can just set up a lobby to quickly race with friends with no additional infrastructure is absolutely fantastic and something I never knew I was missing in simracing overall.

There is one other thing that stands up for me in AMS2 too: the cars feel like they have some weight, they don't feel digital but somewhat real. I don't know what it is exactly but from the early public versions I can't shake off that feeling. R3E and RF2 come close in 2nd and 3rd respectively and not far, but it's AMS2 that is there at the top for me for a while.

And most importantly, even when AMS2 is my #1 I can happily enjoy other titles too as they all have their own strengths and I recommend others doing the same.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Ivan Jurković

Ivan Jurković Member

I did not have opportunity to try new update, but from what I can see from youtube driving seams even messier then before. Just take a look how this guy is able to throw around Formula Ultimate with constant sliding without any real punishment:

Now take a look Max Vesrtappens pole lap and tell me if this is realistic driving representation of high downforce car!?

• Disagree Disagree x 9
  16. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The funny thing about GM is that he rags on fan boys constantly but he is the very definition of a fan boy but for AC. No matter what any sim does he complains that they don't feel or behave like AC. That my friends is what a fan boy is. All of the sims have their positives and negatives. None of the sims at the moment are perfect but AMS2 for me (don't do much online do to having two small children and being generally being trash at racing) is the closest at the moment. The new 1.5 cars feel amazing to me and the look and feel of the tracks in AMS2 are imo the best of any title. I have my wishes for AMS2 of course such as a certain french track and the new LMH cars to go on it but if I need to drive those, AC can do the job while with a lot of short comings. If I want to drive BTCC then rF2 it is and I will have to deal with the game crashing and terrible UI. If I want to drive the latest GT3, then ACC is where I go. For most everything else AMS2 is where I spend 90% of my time.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So you are coming on here to bash a game and an update that you have not even tried and only basing an assessment off of a YT video? Makes sense. Thank you for your insightful viewpoint.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

Let´s see when they are all on the same tyre physics again. If they are all as enjoyable as the Junior or USA 2023 then Reiza is on to a winner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ivan Jurković

Ivan Jurković Member

Yeah I do and I have asked for your feedback because I cannot see any real evaluation of current handling, just usual praises as after each update.

20. Bizarre Formula

I am not here to tell you not to ask for improvements where you think they are needed, I hope that you are happy when the physics drop for all of them, it certainly seems like they are doing good work. I've, sadly, not had the chance to drive it yet as I've been away, hopefully can try the new toys tonight.

The only cars I don't think are at least 'good' in AMS2 (I'd driven them all until the new update) are the old street cars, like the road version of the F1. Someone else mentioned the hot cars and copa cars, but a few updates back they improved SO much and now I find them a fun giggle.

I understand people wanting different things, I just like to see that kept in perspective.

Fingers crossed things will keep getting better and better for your tastes.

Happy racing :)