1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I would hope the people who I engage with would not base their opinion purely on something I have to say as I am not an expert; I don't know the how the physics engine works, I have a rough conceptual idea and that is it, it might as well be magic as far as I am concerned.

When I recommend AMS2 it is my favourite sim and when/if people ask what I think the connection is between pc2 and AMS2 I say the engine and Reiza have polished it to a sheen.

Do I think associating AMS2 with PC2 is a negative thing? No. Those are its roots and Reiza have explained frequently enough that it isn't just copy and paste, if you play the game you can very obviously tell that one is a far more sophisticated, built on the foundation of the last.

My two favourite sims are PC2 and AMS2, that is what I tell people, if everything in PC2 was in AMS2, I would uninstall it. That being said, I still enjoy driving in PC2 in my favourite cars or tracks and in snow or ice, realistic or not.

I'm about driving cars I can't drive, faster than I could drive, with friends while having a chat and I have and would tell them to get both games for the content alone, then they can make their own mind up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

They can't get pCARS 2 anymore can they? I thought it was de-listed on steam...

For me associating pCARS 2 with AMS2 is like associating Heavy Metal and Classical music...

Heavy Metals roots are in classical music, but if you tell a lot of heavy metal or classical fans to listen to the other there's a good chance they'll hate it... Musicians may enjoy the intricacies of the other genre but the average fan would hate it...

Heavy Metal is the extreme evolution of Classical music in the same way that AMS2 is the extreme simulation evolution of pCARS...

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Yeah, you can still get keys, but if they can't get PC2 anymore the decision is even simpler.

I like PC2, if people want to call it simcade, that's fine with me, I don't think it is. Some people say the same about AMS2 (I disagree) and I wish you the best of luck in changing their minds.

Music is one of my strong fields and clever melodic metal is given an equally unjustified hard time, I love classical music too but the diatonic rules don't change. Clever music is clever music, basic music is basic music, genre is irrelevant.

The best thing about your analogy is that music is another area where people assert their opinion about pieces/artists based on little more than their own feelings, not the merit or complexity of the work.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Scar666

I'm glad a struck I chord with that analogy...

The legacy of the pCARS series is a mixture of a great idea and a terrible implementation... The complexity of the initial work on the engine is often overlooked by the eventual implementation within that franchise...

It's like that Dream Theatre song where they just go too far into "Look at me playing the guitar" for your ears... It's complex, but it's not really moving...

Now that I should get back onto the topic I'll attempt this by stating that we as sim racers have only been able to see the possibilities of that complex initial work now that Reiza has polished it to where they have... These new tyres are just such a joy and give such valueable and timely feedback that it's like hearing your favourite band live just break into your favourite song of theirs...

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Ivan Jurković

Ivan Jurković Member

Unfortunatley I didn' have time to try this update yet, so I could only see how new update is working from youtube. What I could see is clear overdriving of Formula Ultimate without any real punishment. Instead of labeling me, you could try to watch linked video and tell me if you find realistic that such high downoforce car is driven in that way. Generally besides my experience of driving I like to watch TT world record onboards as final validation of phyiscs model, since this guys will try to overdrive the car and find any physics exploit possible.

6. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
  7. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There are also different opinions.

[​IMG]
    I would add that GM always significantly overdrives AMS2 because he can't drive otherwise apparently or just for fun.
    The point is not whether you can overdrive a car or not: indeed you can overdrive cars in real life. The real question is if that is the fastest way round a circuit, which seems less and less the case of AMS2.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Ivan Jurković

Ivan Jurković Member

Yeah I was actually refering to first guy which reported good feedback, but this guy tends to overdrive the car so this is why maybe impression on my side was not good. Regards to GM I generally find this guy to be a claun (he is not even capable to fix his cocpit view in settings), but generally I think he is still better then some other youtubers. At least he is trying game after each update and his points regards to diff issues pend out to be true at the end...

9. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

you can’t seriously claim he was right about anything , he would have just regurgitated what comments he had from stream watchers that had been already debating on forums etc

Don’t take you vehicle physics advice from a guy that has barely driven a car IRL , and definitely not at anywhere near the limits , and has no mechanical background .

the fact that he once stated that tram-lining is when you are straddling a kerb says it all really .
    His main motivation for trying it out after updates is nothing more than easy content and clicks .

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. cuadolo

cuadolo Active Member

Many years ago I did the reviews of driving games for dedicated Italian magazines ("PCZeta" and "Giochi per il mio Computer")
    I think the duty of every reviewer is to try to fully understand the intent of the developers trying not to be superficial and to be guided only by the first impression.
    There are many variables: you may have the peripheral not yet set to the best, you have to check if any driving aids have remained active and you have to try to understand the point of origin and the direction that simulation is taking.
    Understand the efforts of developers and tell readers about the direction they are taking.
    Today this job is done by many on youtube and you have many opinions.
    Perhaps a reviewer would also be needed for the reviews.
    To be able to distinguish who wants to get noticed from who actually talks about the simulator.
    I've been following the Reizas for a long time and have always found their consistency in doing things accurately: from the RFactor mods onwards.
    First you need to respect the developers when you do a review and then you need to put as much passion into it as they are.
    Few of those who are on youtube do it with respect.
    Some are saved, like Timo ****, like GPLaps, but they are few.
    A good simulator when you turn it off, it leaves a satisfied smile on your face.
    Understanding why is the job of the reviewers. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

He was right, but be aware he repeated what was repeated by others from reading it here in the forums. (I can tell because i was one of the guys writing about the differential issue as a user back then and delivering proof and not just anecdotal impressions, before any of the media was jumping on the train). :)

Opinions have been shared and start to go full cirlce - this isn't the YT thread but the Development Update thread - so please let's move on now!

The Development Update is in the making and will be published as soon as it's done and when all the material to share has been collected btw..

There is deliberately not given any scheduling because things are in a fluent process but it will contain some interesting bits like always!

Cheers!

• Like Like x 15
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
  12. CrimsonEminence

Why has Forum always to do this to the poor guy :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 12
  13. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Maybe need to revise the blocked words

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Racinglegend1234

What do you mean by collected?

15. CrimsonEminence

It needs to be collected from the various departments in development.

When things are work in progress this of course also means that it might take a bit to assure that it's already worth showing something satisfying to be presented obviously. Renato writes these Dev Blogs by himself additionally to the development work aswell, so things can take a while in the crunch time. :)

• Informative Informative x 4
  16. Racinglegend1234

Interesting. Well my time is full of learning setups so Renato can take how much time he wants IMO

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Scar666

At least when **** Johnson's name is censored it makes more sense... :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Huge Johnson? (I kid, I kid)

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

For me it’s one of the best characteristic of Reiza development updates. For me i like a lot this lull period between updates. I know everyone in the team is working full gas on developments of physics, tracks, etc. My sim time is limited, normally only on weekend mornings, and I like to spend the week reading the different impressions from forum members, to then try to get my impressions later in the weekend. And one of the best moments is when a development goes live and Renato writes his always detailed, informative report on the development and the roadmap for AMS2. When I see his post, I always take my cup of coffee and cherish the moment to calmly read his post where I can see all Reiza team work summarized by the man himself. I feel like my grandpa reading his Sunday morning newspaper with his morning coffe and his pipe. It’s the closest I can get from that feeling. And the best is to get lost in some historical car / track combo for pure joyous driving. I can’t ask for more. Thanks Reiza for the great sim.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

True, those dev updates feel a bit like christmas when I was a little boy. :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3