Automobilista 2 August 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 11, 2022.

1. MCI Goated

MCI Goated Ben Dalby AMS2 Club Member

I think what he has announced for the pack is the pack and some loose ends will be tied with PT.4 I have no clue for the surprise possibly Spa but theres no way to know.

2. Gdude66

Gdude66 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It would be nice if it drops on the last Friday of the month so we can have it for the whole weekend. Might make going to work Monday difficult

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Madness engine already could handle joker laps. PC2 had them and it's basically the same as a mandatory pitstop. For some reason, it didn't enforce them, but I chalk that up to SMS just not caring. Proper heat formats and re-working the underlying MP "weekend" structure to fit the bracket system would be the more challenging thing. What I wonder is if people would stick around long enough during races that aren't their heat, or if they've been eliminated. iRacing did a good job with the format, and it was interesting watching in-between heats. I just hope if it ever comes to AMS2 that they put the time to make the format work in MP.

RANT TIME: :whistle:

Going off on a bit of a tangent here, "Drift modes" make no sense in video games and sims. Each point system is weird, arbitrary, and ends up gaming the system to not be about the same skills actual competitive drifting prioritizes. IRL, these events have judges and have a tournament bracket. Clipping points, outer-zones, etc. are the name of the game and you get judged on style, precision, and proximity. In video games, sometimes they have clipping points, but most of the time it's just "slide length x speed x angle = points."

As someone who drifts a lot in sims, most of the time spent is just "chasing doors" with buddies and getting trains going. You don't need a whole competitive system to have fun in drifting, just have an open practice mode and a few kart tracks. Basically, 90% of the drift scene in AC is just people having fun in an open server. Any of the competitive stuff has real judges just spectating in-game. That said, there has been talking in a few drifting series about going to a points system to avoid judge bias (Formula Drift occasionally suffers from this), but I doubt a competitive drift mode would even be used in-game outside of singleplayer.

If Reiza want to add drifting to the game, just make some good cars and a mode that is just practice without any race. Not everything has to be competitive and it's fun to just chill out while doing tandems.

ON ANOTHER TANGENT...

Gymkhana is a sport that gets completely misrepresented in games. The videos and DiRT 3 made people think it was a "stunt mode" rewarding style points, when it's really a race. IRL it's just an obstacle course/rally special stage set up in a tournament bracket.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Please no Gymhkana.. I hate it so much, lol. Might be fun in real life, but in a sim/game it's so-so.

• Agree Agree x 8
  5. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There is no difference between Gymkhana and a rally special stage. I'm not saying AMS2 should have it, I'm saying that it's bad reputation doesn't fit what the IRL sport is about.

Special Stage

Gymkhana Grid (The have to hit a certain order of objects, so each driver is doing the exact same layout, just mirrored.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Marius H

Special stages are ok. Not too bad. They were designed to attract more people, if I am correct. But Gymkahana is mehh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

Appreciate the input as always.
    Didn't some of those truck classes carry a supply of water for cooling, as in a button-activated spritz when needed?
    I could'a sworn...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Marius H

• Like Like x 1
  9. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Given what Reiza's already done I think we can totally expect knockout-competition style tournaments lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

They exist yeah, they're for brakes.

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

which year?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. ThijsTurbo

ThijsTurbo New Member

The updated Zandvoort track would also be great. With the upcoming race on September 4!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Divit Beria

Divit Beria Prefer modern cars

And as far as I'm aware, we currently don't have a high fidelity version of the new Zandvoort in simracing yet so it would certainly be nice

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If we ever get Zandvoort (a track which is suitable as a Premium Track DLC due to its F1 heritage and all the historic layouts), I doubt that it will be in time for September 4 this year o_O
    But the announcement of the 6th Premium Track DLC might be the surprise. Or it could be another Racin' USA track, it could be car content, or it could be new feature(s). We'll see. :)

15. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There's one in rFactor 2, although I don't know if it's laser-scanned.

16. Laulenture

Laulenture The me of sim racing AMS2 Club Member

For the QoL improvements, here are a few things that imo needs to be added/fixed if it's not already the case in 1.4:
    • A neutral gear button, it's nice the sim doesn't let me get into neutral when driving but let me override that when I'm spinning so I can do good saves.
    • Fix the duplicate AI cars liveries, right now when you pick a livery that car isn't removed from the pool the game chooses from for the AI, leading to grid with twice the same cars another missing one.
    • Fix/improve the car's LCD dashes, many cars have LCD dashes that are basic and/or have broken/missing/placeholder indicators. Like the lap counter always staying at 0, the C8.R TC and MAP indicators showing fake static values instead of the car's in-game settings or the 720s' assists and engine map not showing anything at all. Also give the F-Ult Gen2's dash to the Gen1, it'd be nice to have a battery indicator for the F-Reiza. I'd mention the F-USA 22's dash but it might be a placeholder since it's the DPi's dash but modified, idk.
    • Give the Formula Ultimate Gen 1 color stripped tires
    • Add the classic F1 point system
    • Add some sort of shader system for the liveries, though this one might be very complicated to add because of the engine..
    • On a more personal note: update the F-Ultimate Gen2's model, it both doesn't respect the 2022 regs, is super basic (just look at RSS and VRC's car, they are both very high quality and original designs) and it's generally super undetailed, doesn't even have a modeled fuel port cover.. The car cannot be fueled...
    • Toggleable halo pillar, so we don't have this ugly skinny halo compromise and we can have it on all cars with a halo.
    That's all I have for now, might edit it later to add stuff if I remember anything.
    Edit: added halo thing

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Divit Beria

Divit Beria Prefer modern cars

Its not. completely hand made.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Independently of feelings about the car's model... why would there be a fuel port?

Is it because it's not a modern F1 car (officially) and thus it's fine to have a refuelling port? Or is it because the others added one?

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

shader access is the most important add-on. Why? There re a lot of (more or less talent) skinners out there so your benefit @Renato Simioni is more customers cause they all wanna see there nice skins in- game.
    Where s the prob not to put a edit file for shader variety?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Even the F1 game has a lidar based zandvoort. In the Netherlands, terrain data is publicly accessible for flood planning reasons, i remember codies talking about using real data for the first time with zandvoort.

• Informative Informative x 3