Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey thanks @tUMi ;), along with the original 5.0.5, I also tried Kuku's one quickly and it's great as its files always are, the only difference that, in both files, I didn't hear well on a Logitech basis, it is static Damping at 0, personally it did not bring me the benefits or stabilizations that you feel on DD so in both cases I have reported the value to 0.30 for the moment ... but consider that on logitech I use very high GAIN unlike DD and maybe it is different or it is I who do NOT feel the sensations well yet ... I will definitely deepen.

Hi @azaris it's nice to hear from you :), somehow I share your thoughts or feelings, also before having problems I was experimenting a lot with the Default + (for me much higher than the old Default) and finally with tons of damping and high effects on which can be used almost any car, high gain and lfb, although it remains loose and too chewy but very good ... but I just can't leave the Custom (compared to default) for me it is too informative, coherent and connected to the le wheels, corners and road and these last rows have a wonderful solid foundation which is obviously optimized for DD.
    I just hope to find a solution to release forces occupied by the rack and use high lfb and fx ... I have something in mind but we'll see if it's a viable way or not. If you can help me in the tests if I find some solution ... ;)

2. Manolo

Manolo Member

Welcome back dear @Stakanov , I hope everything goes well, good luck! ;)
    You have already tried Karsten's last file and, as you said, it is a wonderful file that I use on logitech g920 for the moment with settings 95-15-45-15 and little I have changed indeed practically nothing, I share your positive opinion, for me probably the best ever and fits almost all cars, but don't overdo it and take your time!

But I'm curious do you have something in mind? o_O

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Feels great to have you back Stakanov! :)
    You have been missed, best of wishes to you, your health and a safe, full recovery!

Best,

-K

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  4. Karsten Hvidberg

@Stakanov @Peter Stefani @Manolo

If you have any suggestions for change of LFB or Gain effect to better support some specific values in the file, please let me know. I will be happy to add some changes if you have some ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes @Manolo it is something I had already tried before my personal problems on the previous file 4.6fix (I am not referring to the old karsten functions in file all in one) that I have not been able to publish .... however I have already transported everything to 5.0.5 and just have to tune it better and it's about grip, road, lfb and effects ... but I'll do it tonight if i are ok! ;)

Hey @Karsten Hvidberg thank you very much, they tell me it was hard but I didn't notice it :p, now I just know that I get tired very easily :( but let's say it should be momentary ... so everything is ok! ;)

I saw that as soon as I get distracted for a moment You bad boys take advantage of it and make another wonder! Congratulations you have outdone yourself.

Yes i have some ideas and if I don't bother you, in the late evening, can I send you two lines of code with a private message to verify its correctness? Or for advice or modification?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Karsten Hvidberg

Yes, of course, any time, I will try to respond if I see it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

5.0.4 is perfect for me with only some very small personal preferences.
    The only line that I changed that may effect overall performance was this one:
    (velocity_res_scale 0.38)

Other than that, I love it, and thanks for all your work, and the others also.
    Latest tweak for G920
    93/10/25/1 In Game settings
    12-26-22
    ffb_custom_settings

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Manolo

Manolo Member

I also like it (5.0.5) a lot and I don't know what and how to change it .... so that's okay for me. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Des Bain

Des Bain New Member AMS2 Club Member

When it comes to the work and effort that you guys put in NEVER!

• Like Like x 1
  10. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

Hey @Karsten Hvidberg :)

I just finished testing the 5.0.5 Experimental file and I certainly did not feel that I was wasting my time (testing your custom FFB files is an important work, after all)! :D In fact quite the opposite, I enjoyed every moment. :)

For me the 5.0.5 Experimental is definitely a significant step forward from the version 5.0.4 and also from any earlier version. Coming from @Kuku Maddog 's latest modified 5.0.2 file (named 5.0.2K) I think the 5.0.5 Experimental file and Kuku's latest modified 5.0.2 file does have a remarkable resemblance.

For example, the bump scale in the 5.0.5 Experimental feels like it has been significantly reduced from earlier versions which is a very pleasant change. Now the feel of the bumps is close to how they were felt in Kuku's 5.0.2K file and I definitely prefer the way how the bumps are now being handled in the 5.0.5 Experimental file. This is a very welcome change especially when driving the high downforce open-wheel cars such as the McLaren MP4/12 on bumpy tracks like Nordschleife. It certainly makes driving there easier and also much more pleasant especially when driving in Time Trial mode doing records as I no longer get the heavy jolts to my hands when driving through the big bumps (once the sweet spot was found for the car from the in-game FFB settings).

The overly aggressive bump scale and the heavy jolts when driving through bumps with the high downforce cars were the biggest culprit for me with all the previous rFuktor 5.0.x versions (except for Kuku's 5.0.2K file which handled the bumps much more pleasant way). I was very pleased to discover that this problem doesn't exist anymore in the 5.0.5 Experimental file. :)

Also I like the clarity and the direct feel of the FFB with the 5.0.5 Experimental file, it really makes the FFB feel so lively for my wheelbase. The way how the car's weight transfer feels in the wheel is amazing and correcting the car's oversteer also feels very logical no matter which car I'm driving.

The biggest difference I felt between these two files was the scrub and tear. In the 5.0.5 Experimental file the scrub and tear can clearly be felt noticeably earlier than in Kuku's 5.0.2K file when turning the wheel while entering into a corner. The difference to Kuku's 5.0.2K file was very clearly felt when I was driving the Corvette C8R GTE car on Laguna Seca.

Just a few days ago I preferred the way the scrub and tear was handled in Kuku's 5.0.2K file but now after several hours of intensive testing of both files I now seem to be converted again. :) Now I clearly prefer the way how the scrub and tear is handled in 5.0.5 Experimental file, it definitely helps the driving when pushing the car hard as I can feel better what the car and the tires are actually doing.

I did only one change in the file and set the static damping at 0.0. I didn't feel the need to do any further modifications in the file.

Almost forgot, here's my AMS2 in-game FFB settings for the 5.0.5 Experimental file:

For lower downforce cars (GTE/GT1):

Gain: 35
    LFB: 10
    FX: 30
    Damping (power steering): 35

For higher downforce cars (such as McLaren MP4/12):

Gain: 30
    LFB: 5
    FX: 24
    Damping (power steering): 37

For the McLaren MP4/12 I have set the vehicle specific FFB Gain at 80%.

Thank you so much @Karsten Hvidberg for your effort with the 5.0.5 Experimental file, this beauty is definitely a keeper for me and my new favourite custom FFB file at the moment. :)

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Welcome back @Stakanov , it’s nice to hear you are on the mend.

@Karsten Hvidberg
    I haven’t had a chance to fully explore 5.0.5 experimental yet, but it has some interesting changes than I need to examine more.
    It almost reads as if it doesn’t have internal damping ?
    A short two lap test felt a bit lighter in steering weight and I will probably have to adjust strength of certain sliders .

I’m not sure when I will be able to play with it, as of course it’s time to get organised for Xmas, and I will be away from home for a few days from tomorrow.
    But there will probably be another file or two to try over this time, and probably a Game update that I will have to wait to try.
    I’m still keen to experiment more with the original configuration of the 5.0/5.1 that had damping adjustment with slider, as that did have a pleasant first impression in the way the steering felt.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. nabelo

nabelo New Member

Any lifesign from @Alegunner68 ??
    Did you try out those new 5.xx files?
    I'd love to see a new belt wheel tune from you :p
    The last one you provided was just fantastic for my T300

Regards,
    Manuel

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. T3chAddict

T3chAddict New Member

Hi everyone, first time poster. I have tried some searches but nothing worked so far. I am getting heavy oscillation when using the detailed FFB heavy messing file. I have in-game set to custom profile and FX to 50 everything else is 0. The car feels good but I can never really let go of the \wheel which is a problem as I like using the H-shifter.
    I use a Simagic Alpha with the follinwg settings:
    Total force 100 (in-game set to 65)
    Wheel Inertia 3
    Wheel Damper 50 (tried 0 and still have the same issue)
    Smooth Level 3 (tried increasing descreasing which didn't solve issue)
    Wheel Spring 50 (tried increasing descreasing which didn't solve issue)
    Wheel Friction 15 (tried increasing descreasing which didn't solve issue)
    Wheel speed 100 When lowering it did become less but the snappiness of the wheel suffered a lot
    Anything I can try out? Let me know what other info you might need.
    I'm sorry if I wasn't able to find an answer myself. Thanks for any feedback!

14. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Still here, my G2 stopped working last Saturday one day out of warranty! I phoned support and they were good enough to send a new v2 cable as the last one only worked for 7 weeks.
    I babied that thing so they're not as reliable as some make out.
    Anyway I'll give the experimental a bit of a tweak later.
    Welcome back @Stakanov !

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

S

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  16. Mathias[NuoSimulation]

Mathias[NuoSimulation] New Member

I have already broken 2 cables from the g2. I have now fixed the cable so that it no longer kinks. A bend to the front and then right along the bracket. It has held like this for 5 months now without any problems

• Like Like x 2
  17. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

See this post. I get heavy oscillations using Default/Default+. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to fix it - I just use the rfuktor file - no oscillations there.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

18. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If I increase the damping in Default+ in Base, the oscillation goes away. With the Custom File 5.0.x, it is no longer possible for me to find the border between oscillation and non-oscillation, because it is so strongly damped.

19. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Ok I'm going to be away from rig for a few days.

I played around with 5.0.5 and got somewhere to what I liked , but wasn't quite there for me
    Was quite hard to get a balance of forces between low and high downforce cars, that didnt require altering sliders a fair bit.
    High downforce cars got to forceful compared to low etc

I then revisited the original 5 series as it was initially envisaged by Karsten and co.
    as it did make a great first impression, and now that i understand it better, i felt it was only a couple of small personal taste changes away from being a great allrounder.

So I've got to WIP files available to try out.
    But for me 5.0.01 is my go to of this series. its got more definitive details and nicer natural steering weight inside the full range of forces without going to much.

The only issue I feel needs to be sussed out is high speed moments inducing oscillations if you dare take hands off wheel, its also amplified by high load from high downforce, but this seems to be happening in all the recent files , I've just not noticed as I dont really remove hands, so I can live with it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  20. oli65

oli65 New Member

Hello together
    I have been following the posts and the files for a while now and I keep testing it. Many thanks to all your work.
    I mainly ride AC, but AMS2 has its potential, which is why I keep trying it. My impressions are on a DD1.

First:
    Do I understand LFB correctly that "smaller" forces are raised here or what exactly does LFB do?
    I prefer to drive the older touring cars and mainly test these cars as well. My main test car is the M1 procar, which I can also compare well with AC.
    As far as the FFB is concerned, the behaviour and feedback under braking and cornering is quite good. At the moment I am testing between the 5.0x files and default. And there is one point that bothers me with both variants (possibly AMS2 problem). When I turn into a curve with the steering wheel, everything is fine, but when I move the steering wheel back to the straight position, I feel a loss of information, which I don't have with other sims. I am not talking about the loss of grip, but simply the straight position of the steering wheel after a turn. It feels somehow unnatural.

Can this be solved with any settings?

Thanks Oliver