1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. CV1C2RE2

CV1C2RE2 New Member

Thanks @Danielkart
    Enjoying the V500 12-13NM file 6 pg364
    Moza R12
    Pithouse: Intensity 100%, Torque 90%, Road Sensitivity 10, FFB Eq Default except for 100hz which I set to 0%
    In-game: Gain 62, FX 20
    Have fun!
    :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Peter Smith

Peter Smith New Member

Would anyone be so kind as to do a custom ffb for a Logitech Pro DD?
    Many thanks Pete

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
  3. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

I'm adding my little stone to the stone soup :)
    I've been enjoying Joaquims FFB file for the last week. The FFB realy clicked for me, and I feel I'm more confident with the car thanks to it.

I've made a small modification/addition to it. Maybe somebody will find it useful. :)
    I've added a rack_clip property which limits the output from the dynamic rack calculation, leaving space for other effects that get applied on top of that (weight transfer, tyre scrubbing..etc).

Why?
    I've found that my CSL Elite get's clipped very easily when I load the front tyres in downforce cars (high speed banked corners, braking + turning at the same time..etc). I've also find that it is very difficult to actually limit the dynamic load force, because it doesn't get affected by the other parameters in the ffb file, except rack_load, which, by what I can tell, affects the curve steepness. I've set all scale and coef parameters to 0, and I still got heavy clipping. So all other details from the FFB get lost.

So the only real options would be to lower the gain, which is annoying, because other than that, the FFB felt good, and gain would basically decrease all other effects as well. And I don't really need my wheel to get that heavier to translate the tyre loading.

So, I've clipped the dynamic rack load output, by default to 95% (atleast that what I think it does, it's my first time toying with this thing :D). Leaving room for other effects. So, while the wheel will not get heavier after some point, you still have room for i.e. tyre scrub effects, or minute changes by weight transfer.

So, if you're experiencing similar issue like I had, maybe give the modification a try. :)

Attached Files:

4. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100%! :).
    T1 at Road America is my main test bed for clipping outputs on high downforce vehicles.

My current file (the one I use, not the published one) already takes that in account with new formulations to get a smooth clip on effects and returning to an increased surface detail, lost in v8 (has too little for my personal tastes).
    Perhaps that's a motive to realise it as it is - others might be already missing it :).

I don't do my file to please any particular feeling other than my own, but would like to make it universal, to be easilly modified to incorporate other sensibilities (ways to change components weights on the fly, while on the track and... why not while driving? - but that's up to Reiza, I've already suggest 5-10 configurable sliders for custom files would do wonders).

On the topic of my custom file...
    I picked up Heavy Messing and been working my file bottom-up, meaning I start to include effects and didn't mess too much with the rest (although I did remove many clipping controls in intermediate calculations).
    I already did try to bypass all arm_force processing as suggested by @Alex291190 and feed that front axle directly to my effects and it didn't sound bad, on the contrary, it elevated some details making then better. Perhaps we really don't need that much processing and a simple gamma adjustment is enough? Time will tell, I'm not there yet.

Nobody can do it for you. Only people with that wheelbase that develop custom files can do it, yet to there own tastes, not yours.
    Experiment a little with some of the existing ones and keep in mind, if you like a file but don't like a particular aspect of it, you can always change that particular effect to your own taste by simple changing related variable/multiplier in custom file itself, no need for programming skills - those are usually available at the file's beginning and have this kind of formulation:
    Code:
    (macro_details 1.0)

means

macro_details = 1.0
    Just increase/decresase the value to your liking.
    Bummer: you need to exit AMS2, change the file, run AMS2 again... :eek:
    (there are better ways but do require some understanding of this LIST (kind of) programming language (I knew nothing about it until I felt the need to do something nobody, understandably, would do for me).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the existing sliders for Reiza are completely sufficient. You already have enough to do with gain, LFB, FX, damping and the combination with personal basic settings of the base. Now imagine if there were another 10 sliders, the chaos would be endless, the possible combinations would be almost unlimited and therefore welcome down the rabbit hole for years to come. I hope it doesn't come to that

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Joaquim Pereira

It wouldn't affect those not wishing to use or don't care for them :cool:. Those who dare to venture into custom files would be more capable of changing parameters for themselves instead of asking others to do this for them.

GAIN, LFB and DAMPING are ok as they are (they are transversal).
    But FX? Why not have FX1, FX2, FX3,..., FX10, let custom file creators naming them accordingly and use in their formulas? (accommodating different cars or personal tastes)

Example (naming):
    FX1 - Tyre Scrub
    FX2 - Engine
    FX3 - Rack intensity
    FX4 - Rack linearity
    FX10 - Steering weight

In the custom files:
    • creators would use the naming lines:
      #FX1=Tyre Scrub
      #FX2=Engine
    • creators would use variables FX1, FX2, etc... at their will
    • AMS2 passes the corresponding sliders (0-100, translated 0-1) to custom files
    That's it! Development and use of custom files would be amplifier by a lot.
    Reiza would have little development envolved. Basically the menu and, if possible, a pre-interpreter of custom files to get variables names, to use them in the menu.

Everytime I touch my custom file I imagine what I could provide to others (and myself!) with this option...
    @Kuku Maddog as recently changed a slider property with good effect, but some can download the file, have damping at 0 and not know why 'this file sucks'.
    Others have done the same in the past (to act as power steering), so I don't think is not necessary. I think it is and it will be.

It's a win-win situation in my book.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

At least if there was a possibility to reload the custom ffb profile, so I don't have to restart the game after every minute change.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Skem88

Skem88 New Member

Sorry, newb question. Are the custom files using reiza defined variables? If so where is the documentation for them and does it matter the sequence of defined effects in how the fbb is reproduced? Or did the talented folks here figure things out on their own?

9. Joaquim Pereira

Right now, as I type this, all my sliders (gain, lfb, fx and damping) are been used to adjust/fine tune other parameters - that's a way to change values without getting out of the game. Yes, yet more sliders would be good for this! :cool: (but it's not their main advantage).
    No joy if what we want is rewriting a formula.

I took most info (functions, variables) from other files and, as a kickstart, Reiza gave me what I wanted (and is the core of my file, car acceleration values). I appreciated that help.

10. Joaquim Pereira

Anyone liking the idea to have custom file easy and comprehensive customization, please do a Like or Agree here.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Joaquim Pereira

What's new:
    • New formulation of several FFB parameters, with particular emphasis on surface details
    • More resilience to FFB signal saturation
    • Reduced harshness on several dimensions
    Still to improve/implement:
    • (no roadmap)

• Like Like x 7
  12. Leclercq Thomas

Leclercq Thomas New Member

Thanks mate !!
    Yup, Français ! Code ami steam 43693746

13. easy81

easy81 Member

Hi Daniel. I wanted to thank you for sharing your file. I'm very happy with your profiles, especially with this one. Having the same base (Simucube2 Pro) I used your settings in truedrive and as gain in game I use between 40 and 60 depending on the car. I wanted to ask you for advice on solving a small problem. Since I use VR and every time I have to use a button or an encoder I have to drive with only one hand, but even on straight lines the steering wheel oscillates a bit too much, therefore it is difficult for me to keep it still, what could I change in the file to reduce this effect ? hello and thanks again for everything.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Good morning!
    Increase the damping a little on your base according to your personal taste

• Like Like x 1
  15. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Even though I only have an old G25 wheel I just tried your latest FFB file and after some tweaking of the in-game sliders, I am impressed. Truth be told I haven't found any custom FFB for AMS2 that I liked in a long, long time, which is why I stuck with Default+ adjusted according to my liking.

Due to me using a lowly gear-driven wheel as opposed to a modern DD one I naturally had to tweak the values from your recommended defaults; Gain I had to increase to 100 in order to get strong enough forces, and after trying various values I settled for an LFB setting of 5 - less and the wheel doesn't feel tight enough around the center, more and I start losing overall detail. Last but not least I had to increase FX from 20 to 55 (50-60 should be okay), otherwise there is just no road surface detail at all due to the weak Logitech wheel motor.

All things considered I am not sure if this is THE most impressive FFB I have ever felt in any simulation, but it sure is up there with the very best. In fact I was shocked to find that I can now consistently achieve significantly higher cornering speeds and even brake later than before, because I was previously under the illusion that I had already reached the limit (whereas I was just slowly approaching it). The only downside is that there are sometimes moments where I don't feel what the rear is doing - usually just for a split-second - but that is quickly remedied when I get loads of detailed information from the front wheels the next moment. Catching slides and spins also seems to be slightly easier, as the reaction of the wheel to what's happening is considerably quicker, IMHO.

Last but not least I read that you recommend setting the FFB in the wheel's software as opposed to using gain, so I will try that. Usually I run 100% in the old Logitech Profiler Software, but I can crank it up to 150% if need be. I'm definitely going to try that now and see how that affects the overall experience. (Especially since I have to increase per-car gain to ~104% otherwise.)

Oh yeah, and I do get some minor clipping now and then according to the telemetry hud, but that is unavoidable with this kind of wheel IMHO. At least if you don't want it to feel wishy-washy. :D

Keep up the fantastic work! Maybe we can get your custom FFB as another official default option in AMS2 one day. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. NBrembo

NBrembo Member

Thanks JP NICE FILE, I am another G27 user needing some tightness around the centre.
    please advise. thanks

17. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

If you look at my post above you'll see I am using a G25, so my tweaks may prove useful to you as well. What I found is that I need to use a little bit of LFB in order to get a tighter center. This is in addition to having to use a higher gain (100), because 65 just isn't enough for these wheels.

So far I've tried LFB values between 3 and 20, and found 5 to be the best compromise between having a tighter center and not losing too much overall detail. You mileage may of course vary.

Oh, and one more thing: I am not sure if this is still advised for the G27, but for the G25 I stumbled upon one crucial tweak that significantly helped with the loose center; that is, setting the centering spring to 10% instead of 0 in the Logitech software. That was a real game changer when I found out about it!

18. Joaquim Pereira

Thanks @XTRMNTR2K .
    Yes, many think a custom file is a unique set of formulas with just different customizable weights (well, they have reasons to think so). A custom file can be anything, hence the need to explain the premises behind it or else we're starting with the wrong foot ;).

For a lower power wheel, what should be needed (I really don't know because I cannot test it) is a logarithmic transfer function on the output.
    One reason to have more sliders available! :)
    I could/would implement a global "Wheel Strenght" effect easily.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

The Iracing wheel checker can be used to find the minimum force output, just note that if your results with the wheel checker is 7 then the LFB in AMS2 should be set at 4x this number, so 28 in this example.

Of course this can be adjusted to personal taste, but the wheel checker gives a good starting point.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  20. ocool

ocool New Member

Hi dMASS! I'm really sorry for bothering you here in this forum, but I need to speak with you on a topic related to another game. I found one old topic of yours in another forum, which I would like to ask you a question in private. I tired to find a way to send you a private message here, but I couldn't find a button or something to text you directly. How I can talk with you in private?