1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. José Lima

José Lima New Member

Thank you for replying, I am aware of the instructions you shared I play on this engine since Pcars1 so I have tried some things, with 100% gain and increasing the ffb per car but it peaks at almost half of the base ffb, with your file I changed the output setting so it would not clip sooner than it should, it only happens with the custom files, maybe it’s something specific with my base but still I find it odd that it happens, I can go around it, I just hope it’s not some kind of bug that is affecting the ffb feeling not only for me but to others aswell.

2. unabalaverde58

unabalaverde58 New Member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  3. Ron Watmore

Ron Watmore New Member

Thanks

4. pista hufnagel

pista hufnagel New Member

Apologies to all IT professionals if the question is really stupid? Can't load custom file from car settings/setup?
    Could it be in the garage from there as we load the setup, we could also load the steering wheel ffb profile?
    Do I just need to specify a different path when loading the custom file?
    I can't try it because I don't know how to write a command for the new route. Possibly, if it's not really stupid or you don't crash with someone else, could someone give it a try? Thanks!

5. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You have to place your Custom FFB File in your Automobilista2/Documents folder. Make sure it is called ffb_custom_settings.txt Then in the game, go to Options, then Controls, then Force Feedback. In there, select Custom. If you want to try a different Custom File, you have to Exit the game and go through that process again. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pista hufnagel

Hi Michael!
    Thanks, but you misunderstood me!
    I know these things from the beginning, I meant to avoid having to restart the automobilista every time you change something in the custom file. That's why I asked if it could be done, that the custom file would be in the car setup folder and when I go into the garage and select a setup and load it, the same way the ffb custom file could be loaded from the garage like the setup. The car is in the garage, I open the ffb custom file in the background, set something in it, save, close it, select it in the garage, load it and I can continue playing from the garage.
    Or I would have several pre-made ffb custom files, like for a car I have several setups saved, in the garage I select one of the ffb custom files, load it as I do the setup and continue the game.
    Perhaps this is more understandable.
    So that you don't have to close the game and restart every time you make a change.
    Thanks
    Have a nice day!

7. Michael Enright

Misunderstood completely what you were trying to get at, sorry. We have been asking for this since the beginning. I don't know whether Reiza can't or won't make it possible. Maybe the ME just can not support it. I really hope they can find a way. It is a real pain atm, to have to go out the game and come back in every time you want to change the custom file or a line in a custom file.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand what you mean...
    If, for instance, you make gain=100 with my file, then the output will always be clipping (a lot!!).
    Wheelbases can't do anything about the signal itself, they just output from 0-100% of their force with 0-100% of input signal (from game/pc) - we must make sure the output of the games does not go behond 100% because no wheelbase will (in this situation, wheelbases will produce a constant force, the force you told wheelbase to max at).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Joaquim Pereira

Everything default but max torque - I prefer to limit torque there and not by reducing gains, it's safer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Rivanov

Rivanov New Member

@Joaquim Pereira I'm using Simucube 2 Pro with GSE Formula Pro Elite. What kind of wheelbase settings do I need to setup in combination with your FFB file?

11. Joaquim Pereira

Sorry, can't help you there as I don't have that combo to test.
    All in all, you have to know what slider does what and start by neutralizing their effects. Only then you start to mess with them (if needed), but I would start by changing values in file itself, not the formulas, just the constants definitions:
    Code:
    (macro_details 1.0)            # bigger suspension details [0-1.5]
    (micro_details 2.0)            # small suspension details [0-3.0]
    (macro_gamma 1.0)            # gamma for macro details
    (micro_gamma 1.0)            # gamma for micro details
    Just change the values by small amounts. Example, increasing suspension feeling:
    Code:
    (macro_details 1.2)            # bigger suspension details [0-1.5]

12. pista hufnagel

I found this, written by NuScorpii.
    Madness Tool - Custom FFB and Profile Manager

Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
  13. Michael Enright

I use JSGME to take care of all my custom files. Still won't work without closing and reopening the game though. That's the big problem. Hope it can be overcome.

14. Joaquim Pereira

Reiza already looked at it, but I don't know if it was just about using multiple custom files. The conclusion was a no go because of performance issues.

It would be great to have a "LOAD PROFILE" option that would run the compiler/interpreter of the current ffb_custom_settings.txt in the folder (which, of course, could be changed while running the game, it's Windows after all). If that was a possibility, the time to recompile would only affect those pressing the key (and those of us doing so, would prefer that rather than wait for a game restart).
    For the end user, the multiple slider option is still a better option, but both would be a much better development environment.

• Like Like x 2
  15. José Lima

José Lima New Member

I believe I’m not explaining the issue in the best way, my wheelbase has a graph that shows the average ffb and the ffb at the moment, it has 11 nm but with custom reiza default ffb or your custom ffb for example it peaks between 6 and 7 nm, in game shows clipping the ffb when it has more ffb room in the wheelbase.

16. Joaquim Pereira

I understand, as if AMS2 is not sending the max value your wheelbase requires to reach 11Nm... check if there is some setting game dependent somewhere in your FFB flow.

17. Mad Day Man

Mad Day Man Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi,
    i really like the custom FFB in general! Using v9. But i get heavy oscillation with my DD1 one on the straights and with cars, which produce higher downforce. Just tested with the new LMDH mainly. I tried with the damper settings in the fanatec software, but it helped just a little and i don't want to put it too high, cause the FFB misses detail when set too high.

Is there something i could change within the file to reduce the oscillation? Anyone else with an DD 1 got any tips for me?

18. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Some custom files have more oscillations than others, and I have more or less given up trying to get rid of it… I just don’t let go of the wheel :)
    But in general using damping in-game is bad for oscillations. Use Fanatec settings instead.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Joaquim Pereira

@Mad Day Man My R12 oscillates even with Default profiles, so I cannot determine the root cause of those oscillations (althought I suspect the negative feedback loop is just to slow as it is software based, it needed to be firmware/hardware based, on the wheelbase itself).
    Since AMS2 has that soft-start, it is not an issue as it could be otherwise.

• Creative Creative x 1
  20. Joaquim Pereira

Just to add something to this: yesterday, I run rF2 (after a long period of time) to compare things up. rF2 was my reference for a 'good FFB', meaning a FFB that translates car behaviour on an high level (something only a minority contest). It was obvious to me, although with good/powerful jolts, the FFB is damped and lack many details compared to what I can get from AMS2.
    Of course, I can be (very) biased, but AMS2's FFB is better than in rF2 (and I include Default ones in this comparison). rF2 was/is sleeping under a tree, immutable for many years. That's the danger of receiving only/mostly positive feedback, it can induce complacency, no need for improvement efforts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1