1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Can the ABS effect be added to other custom files, if possible and you allowed such a thing how would this be done?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the explanations! Which rack setting will help adjust the self alignment forces?

3. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Sure others can use it too. Just find "ABS effect", it's all there.
    It's just a rounded squared sine wave generator that affects output when abs_active variable is true (1). This formulation has used.

upload_2024-2-3_10-56-24.png

Are you talking about straight line or oversteer alignment forces?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

Ingame 75 0 50 0
    wheelbase ffb 35 - 40
    drift off
    fei 80 - 100

I have a slight disability which affects my muscle exhaustion rate, therefore I use higher effect ratios due to not being able to handle the "standard" amount of force

I want the wheel to have a bit of a rubber band effect to pull itself back to the centre during normal cornering on the limit (def + has this effect), then it does feel less strenuous for me to not actively pull the wheel back to the centre. With my CSL belt base, the wheel hardly realigns itself back to centre?
    I guess oversteer if I understand correctly?

PS. I could never go back to def+ after this file. Def+ gives ZERO oversteer feedback

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  5. Joaquim Pereira

@Marnus Zwarts I don't really have an oversteer effect on FullFFB, per si. I do have a relaxation when rears loose grip - the force component related with yaw (sense of lateral force on the car/body) is reduced (even cancelled) as grip goes down.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So just to get my head around this correctly, if I would like to put your ABS effect in a different Custom file, I only have to add these lines in the file;

(ABS_freq 0.45) # ABS frequency [0.2-1.0]
    (ABS_gain 0.37) # ABS gain [0-1] (0 will disable ABS effect)

#ABS effect
    (ABS_tex (tanh (* 10 (oscillator ABS_freq))))
    (speed_bias (crossover vel_mag 10 20))
    (rack_coarse_lfb (+ rack_coarse_lfb (* abs_active ABS_tex speed_bias ABS_gain)))

If so, is there a certain position in the file they should go?
    Doing just that doesn't seem to work for me. Thanks for your time.

7. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

if you are looking to test it with a momentum rack based file ie Karsten rFuktor.

Then it would need to be tied into a branch of final output.
    Quick Look at ….I would try
    Adding a new command to simplify it ..
    ( abs_effect rack_coarse_lfb )

Then adding easy identifiable abs_effect into FX slider controls output line .

so

# Effects blend & scale
    #
    (effects (+ engine_effect tear_effect scrub_effect flatspots_effect road_effect abs_effect))
    (effects (* effects (* 2 (power fx 1.6)) master_effects))

but of course this method would add another scalar via the master fx through fx slider . So may need tuning.

another way to try would be add
    rack_coarse_lfb

Into the rack directly
    by adding it into final rack all ..
    # Final Rack & Effects Blending
    #

(rack_big (spring rack_big 10000 1 1)) 200000
    (all (+ rack_big road_features effects rack_coarse_lfb))

though this could potentially be violent….
    Try any of this at your own risk …

I don’t know what will work best without experimentation, and I’m currently away for holidays and so take the above as just thinking out loud , based of a Quick Look over and struggling to make this fluid on a phone ..;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joaquim Pereira

Just replace the line:
    Code:
    (rack_coarse_lfb (+ rack_coarse_lfb (* abs_active ABS_tex speed_bias ABS_gain)))

with

(abs_effect (* abs_active ABS_tex speed_bias ABS_gain))
    and add abs_effect to the effects line just like @Kuku Maddog says.
    Remember, the file is interpreted sequentially so the abs_effect must be calculated before the effects sum line.
    Also, check if none of the variables are used in any other way (that could break the code).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Michael Enright

So which do I have to have first?

# Effects blend & scale
    #
    (effects (+ engine_effect tear_effect scrub_effect flatspots_effect road_effect abs_effect))

or

#ABS effect
    #

And I take it I don't need these two lines either then;

(ABS_freq 0.4) # ABS frequency [0.2-1.0]
    (ABS_gain 0.4) # ABS gain [0-1] (0 will disable ABS effect)

This is all foreign to me, but like experimenting. Thanks.

EDIT:: It works. Nice extra touch. Thankyou @Joaquim Pereira

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

So what method did you use, I have tried a few ways on the rack_force file and can't get it working.

11. Michael Enright

I added the abs_effect to the effects line, then after that I added the ABS Effect lines. Looks like this;
    ###########################################################
    #
    # Effects blend & scale
    #

#
    #ABS effect
    #

Don't know if it was needed or not, but I also put The ABS Gain and Freq lines straight after the (large_offroad_bump_scale line.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Deadfl0w

Deadfl0w New Member

Hey guys, i have a question. I don´t understand how i can check which profile is good for me. i have an Fanatec CS DD (12NM) Base. With the custom ffb from Joaquim Pereira i have weired effects arount -5° to 5° (in the middle position of the wheel). i like the effects from you´re settings but i don´t know how to change this.

Also i have exact this problem from you´re explanation and don´t know how to change this. [​IMG]

13. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

The first part I can't help you with, the second part is a graph showing clipping. You can use the car speciific gain to control this. Lower by about 5 each time until that you get no clipping, that is no red in the far right bar showing during normal on track driving.

14. Joaquim Pereira

Well, it works, right? :)
    But the correct order is:
    1. contants definitions first, (ABS_freq 0.4) and (ABS_gain 0.4) lines
    2. abs effects calculations
    3. Effects blend & scale
    It works because the next FFB calculation will have everything it needs, but there is an one cycle delay (I doubt anyone will notice it tho).

The suggested gain=65 should not need changing, no matter the wheel base you use. It, and a vehicle-specific around 100, should give very little clipping in game's output (what I can call, subjectively, an acceptable clipping amount).
    I don't have the opportunity to test many cars, but is not hard to believe the top tier classes can have some ocillations around the center at high speed, bumpy tracks (I already notice LMDh does that at Mulsanne straight). Further refinements to come, if necessary.

15. Michael Enright

Great, thank you. I will try it the other way around and see if I can notice any difference. It is quite subtle, as opposed to your file, which is very pronounced. I like very much some aspects of yours over Daniels, but I like some of Daniels over yours. Oh to find the sweet spot, eh? :)

16. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

It might need a separate scale for in file levelling

so you could add a scale in form of
    (abs_scale 1.0)
    And place in appropriate section of scales at top of file .

then post the calculation section but before the fx output , you could add a extra mod.

In form of
    (abs_effect (* abs_effect abs_scale ))

numbers are just an example and this is a simplified method, it may need more nuance.

edit : now that i’m back home and have tested.

The above works fine and was able to implement into file quite easily.

it works well and feels exactly like i expected..

only thing for me personally is that it’s not something i particularly enjoy, as it does what i expected and interrupts the feel of the tire and grip at a important point and also tends to still activate mid corner even when off the brake , such is the way the abs seems to work .

Ultimately my preference is to not have this effect come in through the wheel, and is best suited to pedal haptics for those that have them, but i think simhub caters to that already..

but if it’s something you want it’s nicely done by JP and easy to implement.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. dMASS

dMASS Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not even that big of a fan of it on the pedals, and I have a mqb1 direct mounted to my brake pedal. I find it distracting and would rather focus on filtered loaded slip haptics as a driving aid

• Like Like x 1
  18. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

I have ABS on the brake pedal (Simagic Haptic Reactor) and also on the motion platform so it makes more sense for me personally. In addition, it distracts me to feel it in the wheel and it overshadows important information from other FFB. But for people who like it, it's definitely a good thing

• Like Like x 1
  19. Michael Enright

Well, I put the lines where I think you meant them to go, and at least it works. The reason I wanted to use it, is because I don't have any form of haptics on the pedals, and it is a good indicator to me. As strange as this may sound, when I get the ABS effect through the wheel, my brain tells me it is my foot receiving the effect. So it works well for me. Thanks @Kuku Maddog and @Joaquim Pereira.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. Joaquim Pereira

I have P1000 pedals and, maybe, I'll add haptic feeback later on. Since I don't usually race cars with ABS and Simagic Haptic Pedals Reactor is, well... not very eye catching (like... a real car doesn't have a thing attached to the pedals), ABS on the wheel will do for the moment.
    Thinking about it....perhaps I'll had a small shaker under the pedals and use my P1000 to run it (advantages of been an handyman :D)

The ABS effect tells me I've already surpass my luck in that turn, no need for further info :D:D:D.
    And yes, I also find the ABS acts too early in AMS2 and a very small tap on the break will activate it mid corner (confirmed by SimHub and AMS2's shared memory telemetry).
    I usually use ABS turned off, ABS=1 and, in rainny conditions, perhaps ABS=2.

Not strange at all, I do feel ABS effect more on the rig (pedals and seat) than on the wheel itself (same for engine revving up/down when standing still and holding the wheel - if not holding the wheel, no rig vibrations at all).

• Like Like x 2