1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Only today I (re-)returned to simracing... :whistle:
    I've corrected a formula that was wrong in v13 file (it should be like the solid line and the implementation was like the doted line

upload_2024-7-27_20-23-10.png

Try to change line 217 to:
    Code:
    (adhesion_front (- 1 (power (- 1 (+ adhesion_front 0.1)) adhesion_gamma))) #was changed
    If you want, also change line 252 to:
    Code:
    (susp_delta_LF (* (+ 1.2 (/ lonG_accel 2)) (abs (power susp_delta_LF 2.4)) sign_susp_delta_LF))
    and you get the beta v14 :D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Member AMS2 Club Member

Good morning. What parameter should I touch in the rfuctor file if the steering wheel feels too hard when turning, for example when leaving the pitlane compared to other forces? I have been trying several things, among others lowering under_steer_scale but it doesn't solve it. I have a moza r12 base. Thanks

Edit:
    Doing tests I have just verified that the hardness is when I reach the limit of degrees of the steering wheel. Maybe it's something from the pithouse or the game itself.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
  3. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Hello! This is a very good question from you.I have been talking a lot about "static force reduction" recently and also recommended it in my files in the base settings.This static force regulation does exactly that.It weakens the excessive forces (whether when driving slowly or cornering at high speeds). By reducing the forces that can overwhelm other good FFBs, you will feel much more detail and the struggle with your wheel will no longer be there.Now the problem: Unfortunately, only a few bases have this internal FFB feature (I know of Simucube 2 / VRS / Assetek. This can also be seen in other simulations and especially in rally sims. Ams2 rally cars become a completely new experience thanks to this improvement and are addictive ;)

Yes, there are ways to weaken it in the file, but then you always have to expect other problems. You've probably noticed that reducing the understeer scale causes other problems. It takes more interventions in the file to compensate for it. This is also one of the reasons why I recommend a range of 10-12Nm (gain in the base) for dds, there are cars that are better to drive with less power and with others it's not a problem. I hope it helps you.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Danielkart

By the way, it will be reduced on the V6000, I have already changed it. I can compare it well with the Simucube 2, before I needed 10-15% static power reduction, now only 5-10% Now I'm just waiting for update 1.6 from Reiza and hope for a fantastic tire update:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Could you just increase the figure in this line?
    (normal_static_force_reduction 0.00)
    from 0.00 to a larger value?
    Is that what this line is suppose to do?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Danielkart

Unfortunately no, Michael, unfortunately that doesn't work

7. Michael Enright

So what is that line for?

8. Danielkart

There are other lines or codes that may not work or only partially work as it should or as originally intended by the creator. In my opinion, this line is correct and the value should be set as low as possible or 0 in order to feel less force in slow corners.
    The static force regulation or static force reduction of a base intervenes in the damping model of a simulation using its own internal FFB software (own algorithms). That is the big advantage of this base controller. It will always be very difficult to combine the physics of cars and tracks with the tire physics, the damping model, the different forces, the different bases (dd and belt) and the FFB (custom or defaults). Actually an almost impossible task and yet so important for a simulation like Ams2. And at the end there are the users and everyone has different preferences and ideas, but thanks to Reiza we can decide for ourselves. What other current simulation offers this? I do not know any:)

9. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hey Michael,

You are correct that adjusting normal_static_force_reduction higher should indeed do exactly that, unless the specific tune disabled it somewhere. Looking real quick on my mobile it seems to still be working in the file.
    At 0 it does nothing. I disabled the use of it at some point in the original rfuctor files. Also note however, that static force reduction might or might not be the best solution to what was requested here.

Anyways, at 0 the filter is disabled. It can be set in the interval 0. 0 to 1.0, so maybe try 0.2 or 0.3 to see if it does what is required.

Best,

-Karsten

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Danielkart

Unfortunately it is not like that Karsten! Increasing the static _force_reduction in the file causes massive anomalies in the steering axis and in addition they lose a lot or almost all of the FFB (can be seen in the graph and of course felt). This is the same with your files as with mine.Test your file with 0.7 or 0.8.Yes it is excessive but to see what it causes.Even with 0.1 or 0.2 or 0.3 they will have disadvantages so for me it is always at 0. The static force reduction on the base will make everything right.

11. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

That sounds weird. I added the algorithm in the file a long time ago, and in many earlier files used it at 0.15 or 0.2 etc.
    This was so all bases would benefit from the same as we do on simucube 2.
    But it is a somewhat weird filter and that's why I set it to 0 to disable it.
    It does exactly remove the "static" part of the force from the signal, so it does and should indeed weaken the ffb significantly at higher values. It does so too when you use simucube 2 version.
    There is an added benefit to using it in the file instead of in simucube 2 software, as I added it to only affect the rack force, whereas simucube 2 filter will be added after all forces are accumulated, so any long lasting effect would also be affected.

If it acts weird, maybe I made some error, but just didn't care, since I had it at 0 anyways, and considered simply removing the code for it anyways :)

Best

-Karsten

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Danielkart

Yes, your idea was and is perfect, but unfortunately there are problems with it.I know that I never liked this filter in the file, even when I still had a dd1.There, too, I had anomalies in the steering axis and I always had the value very low back then.But it's not a problem, I can set it to 0 and everything is fine. Thanks for the info

13. Michael Enright

That's all fine if you have that sort of filter in your software. I have a Simagic Alpha, and the SimPro software has nothing like it. What can I change in your file to reduce the effect of heavy steering on turning? Tyre Resistance maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  14. muzarati

muzarati Member

You sure this is right? This line already exists on line 253 below?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Michael Enright

Line 253 is this in mine;
    (delta_load_wt (* (+ 0.5 load_factor) (+ (* 0.5 susp_delta_HF) susp_delta_LF) adhesion_front_scaled))

16. Danielkart

Yes, I know that your Simagic doesn't have it.But that doesn't mean that it's bad.My Moza R21 V2 doesn't have it either and yet I have a fantastic FFB with this base. There are many ways to weaken it in the file but there will always be consequences.Yes, you can change the tire resistance but there will be consequences.Yes, you can add a little power_steering_angle but there will be consequences.And it goes on and on. For me it's always a combination of different changes.I change something and notice that it changes the middle or the center feeling or the grip or the power and and and...... Finding this balance so that everything fits together again is not always easy and everyone experiences it differently of course. Try to adapt it to your needs as best as possible and make sure that you feel good about it :)

17. muzarati

muzarati Member

yeah, not sure why line no is different, but I already have that line there, does it need to be there twice?

18. Michael Enright

Not in mine. Just line 252. Maybe download a fresh copy and look at it again. What program do you use to edit .txt files? I use Notepad++

19. muzarati

muzarati Member

Did that, and line 252 is the same as the new code
    (susp_delta_LF (* (+ 1.2 (/ lonG_accel 2)) (abs (power susp_delta_LF 2.4)) sign_susp_delta_LF))

20. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You should at least try the SFR with your Simagic Alpha, and see for yourself how it feels. After I read the above comments, I drove with SFR, and then without SFR, and I went back to using SFR along with the SFR that is also added in by my VRS base config.
    I found that without the SFR in the AMS2 cFFB file, it was just plain old strength, and no slip effects at all. I've grown accustomed to the feeling of getting on the limits, then slightly going over, and then returning back to normal grip.
    I also noticed that there was a greater chance of tank slap if a wild turning sequence got out of control without using the cFFB SFR in the file.
    I guess one could get used to either using it or not, but IMO it's more fun with some form of SFR applied, and I didn't have any steering weirdness when using SFR.
    Experimentation is the key.