1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 December 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 26, 2022.

1. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Back in Pcars2, there were options for multiple "default setups" like an OEM, speedway, superspeedway, etc. For oval content, it would make sense to have track specific setups. We have 5 ovals at the moment, so I don't see why Daytona, Fontana, and Indy can't have their own dedicated default setup. *I'm not a dev, so I'm not certain how difficult it would be to do such a thing.*

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Been around longer, and in certain areas, like AMS2s MP experience, it's clear as day that sims from over a decade ago were vastly better...

Yet it's hard for me to take anything any reviewer on youtube says seriously these days... Far too many are just on there for the cash and do not actually spout useful opinions... Bad mouthing a sim is easy click bait... And as this one has ties with Ian Bell... They are 100% a marketing tool...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Scar666

It's easy to understand... Just take a look at this thread... People drooling over content... Whilst others are getting aggravated that the update with advertised content isn't on time...

Plus with any small development team, even the big ones nowdays, the user base is the quality control... Getting the content out there now will give vastly more feedback than keeping it in the BETA stages... And thus improve the oval package faster...

I've never driven on an oval IRL and only have competed in oval events in rF1 & rF2... And really I don't notice much difference in the way I attack Indy once I'm happy that the set up bug has been removed via resetting to defaults... I don't know what "feels" right but it doesn't feel much different from the open wheel oval experiences I've had in the past... The only big thing is that the wheel is straight which actually helps my racing brain get back into oval mode... It always threw me off that I had to turn the wheel a bit to go straight in other sims... Even though that's more realistic...

This is the sense I have as well... At least in some areas Reiza seem to be making progress with what the engine needs to run well...

But if they don't get rid of the set up bug, pit stop bug and fix the terrible MP experience all of the content will not be featured in a positive light via word of mouth or youtube... The AI is obviously a track by track issue now that will be ironed out so I have no worries about that being fixed in time... Others will disagree and focus on the current tracks that have issues...

Instead any positive press will be overwhelmed by a lot of reviews of the terrible experiences with other cars on track and the game breaking bugs that rightfully deserve to be highlighted... And with a monetary incentive for getting people to click, there's always going to be clickbait reviews that are overly negative...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree and I also am not a developer but logically if Pcars 2 could do it you would assume it should be doable. Ideally have different people doing the setups as well (I am sure the community would gladly chip in and help). Whoever is doing the setups clearly has some "go to" settings and traits and I know the goal is to make a safe and balanced default but having a couple different flavors would help in giving a better first impression. Turn in understeer and exit oversteer isn't for everyone :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Chillblast

Chillblast Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm all for favorites but people need to start holding reiza responsible for some of the outright broken components of their sim. Constantly heaping praise on every little thing they do, while completely ignoring or being in complete denial about Its very broken parts isn't helping, and calling out YouTubers or members of forums for being critical of their favorite Sims is beyond the realm idiocy. How dare these people highlight problem's that need fixing and addressing lol

• Agree x 10
    • Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Winner x 1
  6. RDG

RDG Active Member

AMS2 has all the potential to become ‘the only sim you need’ in terms of content and features on offer. It just suffers from lack of polish in some areas and an array of small bugs that aren’t necessarily always game breaking but they leave a bad taste in the mouth for new players and players who want to see AMS2 grow and be successful (which includes me).

I’ve been negative about certain aspects that in my point of view need improving to get on par with a racing sim anno 2022 (AI and lockup lights being among them and they’re both worked on) and I’ve been positive where credit is due.

Whats important is that criticism, both positive and negative is as constructive as possible and clear of things like ridicule. Criticism, both positive and negative, needs to be a clear guide for the developers, not a mockery they dread reading.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

@Chillblast It's not about "highlight problems" it is about how YTubers or forum members do that.

You can criticize in a positive/constructive way or just moan like a child and feel entitled on your opinions without even care to understand why there is an issue (how devs can reproduce that?) or if it really is or you are the cause (90% of bigger YTubers sadly).

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Again it is the same elsewhere with others favourites, I think Renato once said something along the lines of it being easy to identify bugs but not always to fix. I think they are aware of these bugs but just have not been able to squash them. I think that whilst the madness engine is very powerful it also is inherently buggy. I remember PC2 have a lot of similar bugs that were never ironed out. Makes me wonder if there is fundamentally some baked in issues with the engine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Constructive criticism is always a good thing but for those who claim that AMS2 is “totally broken”: just relax, watch a few videos from @TarmacTerrorist for example and learn how much fun you still can have with a sim that costs about 10 bucks (!) at the moment… ;):)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Scar666

And with the mess that the improvements ISI made to the Gmotor2 engine for rF2 over a decade ago you cannot blame Reiza for looking at another engine with a long list of bugs to squash which still had promise when they decided to switch...

Even if they are forced to start from scratch with the online environment due to the limitations of the p2p code (which sounds like they are throwing things at and nothing is sticking) it still could work out being worth their efforts if they managed to fix the other major bugs in comparison to trying to squash the bugs in the Gmotor2 engine... It could also be said that Reiza would of done a far better job of rF2 than S397 have done to date... But that's all just speculation...

Either way Reiza would of been stuck with being the repairman and not the inventor... Thus creating an extra layer of difficulty when squashing bugs... They have to figure out the philosophy of what was designed first before figuring out how to fix it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Philippe Moinet

Philippe Moinet The driver hyper tourist AMS2 Club Member

Je n'ai jamais frappé un autre sim sur le forum ni nié les problèmes qu'ils doivent encore améliorer. Mais c'est tellement facile de frapper un autre sim, j'ai arrêté d'irriter parce qu'il n'y a pas de FCY dans les courses sur route, que ce soit en multijoueur ou en IA. Même le drapeau jaune est fictif, les gens sont plus susceptibles d'accélérer au drapeau jaune que l'inverse. Et bien sûr on peut doubler sous drapeau jaune lol. Ça y est, c'est facile de frapper d'autres sims... For iracing

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  12. lion9zion

lion9zion Member

I am old as Porsche RSR from my avatar pic and I remember back in the days of the first racing games in MS DOS such as Indianapolis 500 from Papyrus as we were blown away with physics and graphics. There was no internet to share opinions, but even in a small community of gamers I cant remember such nit picking or even hate. We were just happy to experience something never possible before.

Today we have such advanced simulators and choices on market, with extensive content to choose from, close to reality graphics, sounds and scenarios to be simulated. It makes me happy living in this era and being able to enjoy all of this. So thank you very much Reiza, Kunos, Codemasters, Studio 397, iRacing, SCS Software, Saber Interactive and others...

I would bet that developers know better than us that nothing is ever perfect and continually work to improve things, because of the creative people's nature. That's why I believe that in the future oval racing will be done better and better. I look forward for it but I also feel that criticism such as in Austin's video isn't constructive in this case and its not moving things forward. From my perspective, it's just a reprehensible lack of humbleness, gratitude for what we have and appreciation for people's work.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out broken things, but wrong is to entitle video by claiming AMS2 is completely broken, the worst sim racing experience, this is an incredibly defective product... and starting flame.

• Winner Winner x 15
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. Kro

Kro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Good stuff there ^^
    As long as this thread is getting derailed while we wait for the next update how about showing the potential of the madness Engin?.. I'll see your iracing 'dirt action' and raise you one 'snow lap' at the Nordschleife! :p
    9 min of action on Xmass !

(best viewed in 4k)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

THIS IS WHY I WOULD LIKE SNOW IN AMS2

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I dunno.. I too am old (58 at last count) and I remember the "good old" days of "net news" and "rec.simulators.auto". Arguments on there were just the same as they are on forums today. There have been "simulator" wars since the day dot, just like the old "8 bit computer wars" since the beginning.

For some, thats half the entertainment.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Philippe Moinet

Philippe Moinet The driver hyper tourist AMS2 Club Member

Je ne me considère pas vieux mais j'ai certainement moins d'années à vivre que j'ai vécu lol. Mais ça m'a permis de débuter sans run sur Sega, mon premier volant était un Mad Catz (je crois ?!) pour jouer à F1 2001 sur PS2 et Toca Touring Driver si je me souviens bien. Il n'y avait pas de retour de force mais l'accélérateur et le frein tremblaient tellement que je rendais mon entourage fou ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Scar666

Snow and Dirt... Is why I turn to Dirt Rally 2.0...

AMS2 is my go to hot lap simulator for tarmac... Until I can readily enjoy races online and at all tracks with the AI, snow and dirt can wait... It'll just cause a bigger wave of issues than the ovals did if they are introduced too soon because it's another overhaul of the physics for conditions which haven't been a focus... It's a far bigger job than just importing what kinda worked in pCARS 2...

Plus the novelty will wear off very fast if the rest of the sim doesn't work as intended... Most likely why pCARS 2 is off the marketplace now aside from EA's legal team sticking it to Ian Bell... EA didn't want to bother with the support that is required and didn't want to work on the engine like Reiza have...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Touc

Touc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I still think we will see it when we have some cars that can handle it. No point at the moment but the adrenaline pack might be the first clue

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The reality is that Reiza just has not enough software developers for their ambition.
    The content team is well staffed, the programming team is not...by a long shot.
    So the sim is always 95% there, but these last remaining percents which are the hardest are unobtainmium. To fix and advance stuff in a timely fashion you need software developers, and many of them for such large game and complex game engine. Period.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Richirichi

Richirichi Member

. I’m 54 & counting, & this is what I used to play, back in the day. I can’t believe how far sims have come, since this. No simulation will ever be perfect, & AMS2 has its flaws, like all sims do. But I’m really grateful for the work & dedication of the devs, who listen to our feedback, & strive to improve the game. Maybe, many of us have just become incredibly selfish & entitled, when we should be thankful for the incredible sims, available for us to play, incl. AMS2

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1