1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 December 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 24, 2023.

1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

And like I said earlier, the test evidence does not support that unfortunately. If its just the number of cars visible (which I assume means cars in front of you) then why is it so much better performance when you are at the BACK of the pack (with no cars behind) and the performance is at its worst when you are at the FRONT (no cars in front of you but all the cars behind)? The number of visible cars is at its maximum when you are at the BACK of the pack and yet that is when it performs the BEST..

UNLESS of course they mean maximum number of visible cars are the number of cars rendered that are behind you. Don't care how many are in front, that seems to have no impact what so ever with the night racing.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. BattleOvce

BattleOvce In-game Patrik Šulc AMS2 Club Member

Great Addition. Looking forward to the improvements. I watched lemans this year for the first time. What a blast. I was so excited to race those car in a sim. And boom we will get it. A lot of content was given to us. Game Is much better Now, AI Is Fun to race against. Depsite all of this it is still bittersweet. Still no more touring cars like copa petrobras de marcas, btcc, 90s touring cars we voted. My only complain. :D

• Like Like x 5
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would prefer Philip island over Surfers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis Active Member

If we're naming the track I'd most to see in AMS2, one word - CROFT.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

well they aren’t going to be not rendering cars in front of you are they :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

I was super excited and surprised to see this dev update just now?! Didn't really keep track, plus I thought Le Mans was really getting pushed way into next year for some reason...

About the performance situation; optimization is always good, But I run a 13700k/7900xtx and have 10-40% performance headroom in most scenarios.
    If I try to make the fps buckle with the biggest possible grid of AI with a transition into night and everything maxed I can get it to drop a frame or two, but nothing horrible, and hardly game breaking.
    Granted that's on a rift s, but I have the render resolution cranked WAY up!
    What headset are you on? If you're trying to do 4k in VR @ 120fps I can imagine you running into limits sometimes.

The scenarios that used to be horrible for performance(dusk, night time, rain...) I find to do much better nowadays, as in a more even experience as opposed to the fps getting massacred when transitioning into night time.

My point being that with a 4090, I think you should have little to no issues with framerates or frametimes in the title at all anymore.
    I'm maxed for in-game settings but not quite sure where I left the anti-aliasing... I think it is on "high".

I'm certain further optimization will come at some point regarding the lights/reflections and shadows and how they impact raw performance.

I was actually(besides the insane content...) really pleasantly surprised to read about the shaders and the reverb on the audio. Both items on my personal wishlist. Stuff like that doesn't appear groundbreaking at first glance, but that can make a BIG difference in immersion and general enjoyment.

Anyway, maybe examine your system's VR performance with a fine-tooth comb, or let me know the exact scenario where you see that performance drops to nye unplayable levels, then I can try to replicate.

Take care now!
    (BTW, those "other" USA tracks that were talked about in the devlog.... Sebring right? Right?!)

7. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Instead of coming up with a flippant response, perhaps you could explain what you mean. Are you suggesting the maximum number of visible cars refers to cars behind you? If so, thats not how that setting works in any other game. If you set maximum visible to 4, you will only see 4 cars in front of you. Go ahead, try it for yourself in any other sim. Any chance of a non flippant response with some actual logical thought put into it?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. PaulA

PaulA Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Mate
    Just trust the process.
    The new setting works really really well in the Beta.

I don't want to go into specifics about how it works, as I'm not sure I'm allowed to.
    Just don't stress about it. Works really well.

• Like x 8
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  9. Enthony

Enthony from Far East

There's is group 5 as mod with skyline which I thing is amazing mod .

What for other. EA wrx is a pretty cool and exciting I think. I did some rally and it really feels realistic.

Surfers paradise Macau

But if seriously, guys, can you explain me? Porsche rsr old-school car. It is impossible to oversteer on full throttle even on cold tyres and cold track on full steering angle. Why !?
    Obviously I don't have experience of real live rsr so I can only rely on some real onboards. all helpers are off.

10. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

We experimented with it in the current beta cycle and suffice to say it didn´t go great. Longer term we still expect to be able to bump that limit for users with the hardware to handle it but it´s not likely to ever be able to handle 50-60 car fields reliably.

• Informative Informative x 24
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Tony Binelli

Tony Binelli Active Member AMS2 Club Member

FYI, just did a night lemans with the DPI and GT3, set to show 12 vehicles.
    At the start of the race i was in 17th with a FPS of about 120-130, it rendered 6 cars in front and 6 behind roughly, i stood still and as cars came past lights started appearing on cars behind me one at a time, so it seems to render half in front and half behind approximately. as the cars behind become visible the ones in the front disappeared, so it seems to try and keep a balance of cars in front with cars behind.

the next race i tried, i bumped it up to 20 cars but it started me in 2nd, that means 19 cars were rendered behind me and my frames at the start line dived to 85.

I then set it back to 12 and started in 7th this time, so half rendered in front and half in the rear and frames went to 120 at the startline.

So it should help framerates if you drop it to 12, The FPS will obviously be at it's worst if you start from the front.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

settle down ,I was just pointing out you pretty much asked and answered your own question.

just wait and see how it goes , I’m sure Reiza know what they are doing , and it’s not as simple as just the headlights. In your mirror.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Bernd18995

Bernd18995 Member

Thanks for the update Renato <3
    The most important question is though:
    Will we be able to flashy flash finally, too ?:whistle:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is that the English spelling of Mugello?

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jehuty

Jehuty Active Member

Thanks for the info.
    So maybe we can reach at least 40 AI cars "safely" ?

16. Davizmg80

Davizmg80 New Member

thanks for the answer, I currently have a 13900k and a 4090 with a varjo aero (90hz, 39ppd) I use openxr with the mbucchia openxrtoolkit, with which I can use FSR or foveated rendering, even CAS sharpening... the fact is that in good conditions, I have no problems, although the ms are too high, 8.5/9.2...in other games like assetto corsa it is much lower,5.6/6ms..the problem is that as soon as I put it rain or night the performance droops, but not only in terms of fps, but it also looks really bad, as if it didn't have antialiasing.... curiously, pc2, it looks perfect... there are many posts on various sites commenting on this problem, so it is not something isolated, it is talks about possible problem with lights or shadows...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Strange, I have same hardware but use a Quest 3 with it’s full native resolution and get a super crisp image no matter if dry/day or rain/night. Don’t use openxr though, maybe that’s causing it?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Regarding VR performance, go to options -> virtual reality and make sure your super sampling is set to 1.0. It defaulted to 1.5 in my clean install of the game. (Unless I've changed it in the last couple weeks and forgotten. By clean install I mean that I wiped the game folder in Documents recently.)

I haven't tried any other headsets than my Rift S, but I would assume that the resolution of the Varjo Aero is high enough that any improvements in quality are not worth the framerate loss from the super sampling. If it does drop the quality you can experiment with other values to find a balance.

My 2080 + Rift S deals with a full GT3 grid + night + rain in a way where it's still driveable, and dropping the super sampling actually made it close to what my day driving was before. This was with all graphics details at maximum.

Different hardware that I can't test though, so could be different results. My headset also likes to do this thing where if it can't hold a stable high framerate it'll halve the framerate to keep it stable, so that makes it more difficult to gauge the actual framerates. In the end there was a clear, visible difference though.

Edit: Heh. Just realized why the framerate halving happened. I disabled ASW for AMS2 in the OculusTrayTool, but I was using the beta client to test this so it didn't actually have any effect. Wrong executable.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Davizmg80

Davizmg80 New Member

no, with openxr you have better performance since you skip steamvr....however, the aero have much more resolution and ppd than the q3, the lower the resolution, the better performance....

20. Davizmg80

Davizmg80 New Member

Rift S have a very lower resolution and works at 80hz (40fps with asynchronous) its normal that have a good performance due to ""poor visual quality""