1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 December 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 24, 2023.

1. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is true. There is a clear difference in shimmering with night racing and day racing. Especially when the headlights light up a car in front of you; you'll see a lot of shimmering way more than at day time racing. It's part of the engine I guess? I have no idea what causes it.

This is also in VR with the Pimax Crystal at almost native resolution + 4xMSAA. But the HMD doesn't make a difference. The difference was also exactly the same with my Reverb G2.

The shadows (at day time) also shimmer more than with other titles, because of the way that they are rendered. They should be blurred on the sides, but they aren't, maybe one day the shadows will be improved too, since some great working has been done on the shaders now.

I really really hope that VR users finally get the option to disable the metal sparks, or that you can provide us with an .bff / pakfile or something that creates 100% transparent sparks as a temp solution. The sparks should just be disabled(or optional) until they are fixed for VR users.

The new rain effects also look great, I hope that some day the visual rain related bugs could be solved too (that you see the water that's flying of the wheels behind the cars could be seen at places, where it shouldn't be seen (so when the car isn't visible anymore, the water splash still is(at a hill for example))).

For the rest it's again an amazing development update, I'm really looking forward to the LMDh Hypercars, they look insanely good as so does the rest of the content!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Not sure if more demanding but it definitely is a very demanding game, especially since there is no option to reduce details like number of car headlights during night races. Hopefully the newly added setting for reducing number of cars rendered will improve things, but having FSR / DLSS in today's day and age is important. I wonder how much it would improve VR performance but certainly by a lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

reducing the number of visible cars is coming though

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. TurboHenk

DLSS/FSR completely ruin VR experiences for me. DLSS gives a lot of artifacts, blur and ghosting, FSR blur and sharpening artifacts. DLSS/TAA ruined ACC for me(besides the fact that I personally prefer the physics/handling/car feeling of AMS2).

Downscaling the resolution+using CAS(or the sharpness ini tweak even, if you don't/cannot use OpenXR toolkit for example) is better than using FSR in VR.

So any development on these subject is a complete waste of time for Reiza imo. I'm so happy that Reiza has a good MSAA/MFAA implementation so that we can all enjoy artifact/blur free VR when it comes to anti aliasing.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Kute

Kute Member

Running a quest 3/4080/7800X3D @ max resolution/1.3x manual debug Supersampling, AMS2 is crystal clear and probably still the best looking sim in VR, though iracing is very close.

I can't believe the age we live in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

You know that people use FSR / DLSS even when NOT in VR ? So focusing development on this should be an important thing as it will improve game performance for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. NASCAR 24

NASCAR 24 New Member

Great update! But I have to say I'm disappointed in the GT3 Gen2 are DLC as that would've been the class for the non DLC users to drive in a multiplayer lobby with multi-class of LMH/LMDh with GT3 Gen2. But if they have to be DLC I hope they are still balanced with GT3 Gen1 so that non DLC users can still use the older GT3's.

Otherwise really looking forward to this!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

DLSS works rather badly in ACC and Rennsport. I think Unreal Engine is once again to blame here.

9. TurboHenk

Well, I quoted you with "I wonder how much it would improve VR performance but certainly by a lot.". So I gave my experiences about these subjects in VR.

I think that Reiza could achieve way more for all users if they find a way to render the headlights differently for example(or have an option to render the headlights for only your own car and only "partly" for other cars for example).

FSR is already available for all VR users by using OpenXR toolkit or by using(for oculus/meta users) by vrperfkit.

For 2D third party programs could be used to inject FSR: Third-Party Tool Allows Any Game to Use AMD FSR there are multiple apps for that if you search: Save 30% on Lossless Scaling on Steam etc.etc.

So development regarding this subject is wasted time and effort. DLSS works only for Nvidia users and gives also in 2D ghosting and blur in 2D. It's overhyped tech by nvidia, it's better to use downscaled resolution or FSR in my opinion for 2D too if lowering settings isn't sufficient.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  10. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The main frame rate killer with my VR setup is sunrise and sunset. Even driving alone it can be a nightmare.

11. ozcanuck

ozcanuck Active Member

LeMans Ultimate says it is to be released on Feb. 24, 2024. Not sure about that. Looks like AMS2 for the win. I'm sure it will be cheaper as DLC than Studio 397's offering, although that one is the full WEC season.. Great news. Good work, AMS.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

I now have a new key on my keyboard...
    The F-smudge key, found between the F-4 and F-6 key

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

Driving the Porsche GTE and Mercedes Group C today did not make me less excited :D

(And seriously the sound work from last update, wow <3 )

14. Xenix74

Xenix74 Member

We used to have Track & Fields to kill our quickshots. Now we're killing our keyboards with Reiza updates. Sports games are clearly dangerous for the hardware...:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Lets hope they work in VR.

16. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

And that's before we get into the torment experienced by "A Z , ." thanks to a certain Mr. Crammond back in the day ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh god don’t remind me of that specially the ., I kinda got used to the az and whenever I play a racing game on keyboard I still use AZ but with the arrow keys for steering and shifting

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jehuty

Jehuty Active Member

Still no clue for the date ? A hint ? I need my dose i NEEED to be into the 992 R GT3 :D

19. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

That was brilliant:
    A + Space Bar = Gas & Upshift
    Z + Space Bar = Brake & Down Shift
    It allowed to use manual gears on keyboard so simple and easy that I always wondered why it wasn't invented earlier and/or used by all racing games of that stone age :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Check steamdb, go to the beta and see that it hasn’t been updated due to Christmas. It will come when it comes. Nobody knows exactly when that is

• Agree Agree x 4