1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 30, 2022.

1. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The modern Formula Vee is a close as we can get to these beauties, but I'd love to see more classic junior formulas.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

THIS! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Wow, what a cool looking track! Would much rather see that in AMS 2 than most of the modern F1 tracks.

Also, good idea of how annoying loud and grating those cars are if you crank the volume up on the playback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. Those are delicacies. Unfortunately people are obsessed with fast food.

GT3 is the McDonald's happy meal.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The next big thing is obtaining H2 from electrolysis through windmills... Before we make that financially viable in terms of cost of the energy we will probably be done with nuclear fusion though...

6. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Eh, not always though.

I find Clio Cup awful. Brazilians were obsessed with Copa Marcas in AMS1 too, super tight races, literally banging doors, but I could never enjoy them... go figure.

7. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Not a FWD fan, I assume?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Depends of what Clio Cup you are talking about. There was in Brazil (and it received a pretty damn good rFactor 1 mod) a Clio Super Cup that was surprisingly similar to the Sprint Race from AMS2 (that is not the last gen of this category). By the way, Sprint Race is an amazing class... very underrated. But I believe that you are talking about a Clio Cup that was the street car with some mods (as Copa Uno, Copa Fusca or the Old Stock) and that was really boring.

The Copa Marcas weren't that fast... was almost at par with the old WTCC (that is, until today, the best category I ever did league racing - with the good'ol RACE07), but not as fun.

With "too fast" I mean anything over GT4. GT3 is really fast, but is acessible, so people just go online, fell like they are Henri Toivonen and them drive as they are Andreas DeCesaris lol

You have some good racing leagues doing good driving with basically any car... but there are considerably few virtual drivers that can, for example, jump in a F1 grid and do a good racing. What happens is that most folks think that because they are good against the AI or at TTs, they will ace MP racings, but in the end will just ruin other folks experiences.

EDIT:

The Super Clio RL's Master Race cars:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even the centered driver position is the same from Sprint Race.

Aaaand... the Clio Cup's sad peasant charriot:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I completely disagree.

EV's will find a home for middle class suburbanite (if they exist past the 2020's) and the super rich (who can afford whatever they want anyway and often just fly around in a private jet anyway.)

However EV's are too expensive for the lower class as they destroy the used car market and too inconvenient for the rural middle class who just doesn't have the infrastructure to support them.

No one is going to pay $10,000 for a car that can only do 60-100 miles because the battery is shot, nor are they going to pay $8,000-$18,000 for a battery replacement. You're going to have lots full of unsellable rolling environmental hazards just like your already seeing with the first and second gen Nissan Leafs and the OG tezla roadsters

The solution to pollution is dilution, not a unsuitable whole hog change that will destroy the world's economy. Hydrogen fuel cell, Hydrogen combustion, and electric vehicles are the future, but I don't think you'll ever see EV'S take over without something like a World War 3 or a global disaster where MASSIVE amounts of infrastructure gets destroyed and needs to he rebuilt. Its impossible to modernize it all otherwise, both because of Bureaucratic red tapes and the sheer amount of money it would take.

Hydrogen on the other hand has non of the long term economic, environmental, or social, and greatly minimizes the potential infrastructure related issues. Yes safety is a concern, but if Toyota CEO is willing to climb into a hydrogen powered race car and run for 12 hours, then I feel safe driving one to work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

It will work because so many of those vehicles are also storage devices. The Duck Curve ids a bunch of BS made up by deniers.

Just because billions of vehicle operate around the clock doesn't mean they have to or should.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Doesn't have to or should? There is the first failure, we are talking about people here, they would and will. People would drive home, plug them in and leave them on charge all night which no doubt they would need too as I believe they charge pretty slowly using residential power. As I said, our power infrastructure already cannot keep up, you suddenly put millions of vehicles on the road that also need to plug in to charge and it is a recipe for disaster. Electricity prices are already expensive here and are going up more. If the power companies could provide all the electricity required then they would also have the entire population by the balls and I could see them jacking up prices even more knowing that people have no choice so will have to pay regardless.
    There certainly needs to be a lot more done all round here for it to be even remotely possible to work.

Someone recently tried to drive across the Nullarbor in Australia, around 3000km in an EV and said that basically it does not work at this point in time and a lot needs to be done for it to be feasible.

It takes us years to make minor progress in anything here with our infrastructure. I can see it staying a niche thing and alternative fuels being developed to keep ICE on the road longer.

12. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

I just hope we get a single (maybe 2) car EV class in AMS2, because it is something different.
    It might open up a new kind of racing. Also, I feel that having left field cars is the thing that sets AMS apart from games like acc.

• Like Like x 2
  13. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Its emerging technology, and you're underestimating the power that economies of scale bring as it ramps up.
    And this goes for both cars and power infrastructure.

Really, the exact same conversations were had 120 years ago during the transition from horses to cars when luddites clung on to theories that cars could never be cheap or efficient enough to replace horses.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

R3E has a couple of electric touring cars like the seat cupra, its really weird to drive without ever changing gears. I say give it a go if you have r3e installed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

1000hp, does jumps, 3 speed gearbox, big 'ole wing... :whistle:

• Like Like x 5
  16. Dylan Hale

That's also not true. Cheapness was probably a talking point up until the Model T, but if you couldn't afford a car, you could get a motorcycle without any extra bureaucratic red tape. No one gave a rats arse about efficiency because no matter how slow or wasteful a car was it was better than taking care of horses and cleaning up all the poo they created. In fact, that's one of the reasons EV'S were so well liked around the 1880's-1890's because they could go as far as a gas powered car but were quite and required less mantance.

Then gas powered engine became more efficient, cheaper, and more powerful, in the 1900's. Oil became plentiful, infrastructure was built, and only then did EV cars get shunned for not being efficient enough. What we're expecting today is literally the same thing, except with some added pressure from politicians who don't know anything other than how to kiss arse to those who donated to them.

Edit Also you talk about economics of scale. That only works when talking about production of new items, not revamping old ones.

That doesn't work when you talking about destroying half a city to get to the underground power lines so the grid doesn't poo itself when everyone gets off work at 5 and plugs their EV in at 6. That doesn't include placing chargers everywhere, or wireless chargers under every highway. That doesn't include the massive amounts of extra power that will have to be generated from the power plant ecomentalists shut down. Its just not feasible, especially as out lives depend more and more on tech.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Dylan Hale

That last line is the important one.

I don't give a single flying F about what should happen in your mind because I live in the real world. I have a life to live as does you, as does the billions of other people who live on this planet, and no one person or committee should have any say in what any of us do with our lives directly. That why we have laws, board guidelines that effect all equally vs Bob can't charge his car or use his AC on Tuesdays.

Too many people think they can get into a position of power and influence and start acting like life is a game of sim city and that people will just bend to their will or what should happen. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

This whole conversation about EV cars is a perfect example. I've pointed multiple flaws socially, economically, and environmentally, and pointed out a reasonable fix on paper at least but no one has come back with a reasonable solution or explanation other than "well none of that matters because that's what should happen." I refuse to accept that.

Edit, rereading this, I apologize for coming off so aggressive. But I really do care about this subject alot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

We are basically agreeing with EV. WITH CURRENT TECH things will go the way you say... IF the new batteries and power generation technologies (or a massive adoption of nuclear plants, what I doubt for a number of reasons), them the replacement will be not only a marketing demand, but also a political one for countries that are today kneeled to OPEC and the petrodollars power. For batteries, there are two promising programs, one from Tesla and one from Brazilian Volkswagen in a partnership with CBMM (a metallurgic company) that has some near future potential, at least this last one, that also is eco friendly all the battery's cycle (or, at least, is what they are aiming for) and much more affordable that the current techs (and also much safer, that wouldn't be by itself an advantage).

The hydrogen still have the issue of it's production, that is very expensive. There is a British government paper about it, saying that it's feasible because IN THEIR CASE they have no extraction of petroleum in their lands and will always be at the mercy of other countries, with their wars, crisis and caprices. So, they are already paying high for fuel and this change could work. For Ireland is even clearer that hydrogen could be a solution, because they have not even coal (that is still found in the British isle). But, yeah, I think that all these issues can be circled with due time and research/development. Shell had a program for development of hydrogen for vehicular use in Ireland, that I saw some promising videos and papers about it, but today Shell simply removed the page from their official website... so I believe that something gone wrong.

For today, ICE still the more effective, both with marketing demand as with efficiency. Still there is room for development of cars and fuel. In Brazil, for example, basically all cars made in the last fifteen years run both with gas and ethanol, and ethanol cars are around since early 80. Ethanol solves the soo said carbon issue because for sugar cane to grow it should take all the "burned" carbon back, but still it's economically unfeasible to turn all our fleet into ethanol or any other biofuel and it works as a complementary fuel source. People still looking for other sources of fuel.. maybe someone find it, but we can't count with the egg until the hen pops it out lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dylan Hale

What Im trying to say is 1 large wholesale change to 1 power source is not feasible regardless of what it is. EV's have the largest amount of baggage that will need to be fixed, Hydrogen does as well but its slightly less in the grand scheme of things than EV's IMO and from what I've read. Therefore I like Hydrogen better.

Regardless, I think the future will be a mixture, the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nah, takes forever for any infrastructure to get functional here. The nbn started being built how many years ago? And as far as I am aware it is still not finished. And supposedly when it is it will be behind the times and rest of the developed world and need updating again.