1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Yeah the F-USA (all gens honestly, but especially Gen3) are truly a work of art. This car doesn't just feel right, it also looks right, be it when driving normally or when losing control. If the AI had human acceleration, I'd be hard pressed to not immediately do a 25-races championship with that thing. :D

(Now, please, Reiza, give us an F-USA modern gen on that level of quality :whistle:)

GT3 have traditionally not been the strongest class for AMS2, and also I think the traction control system is still not properly simulated (but is supposed to change for 1.4).
    Also, I think some cars of that class feel (felt?) the effects of tire overheating quite massively, which is another thing being worked on afaik.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The only purely physics aspect where ACC is better IMHO is the management of electronic aids. TC/ABS work a tad better so better that they are not realistic in the way they get used irl vs in the sim.
    In terms of the rest of physics I don't think there is such a gap and in most cases where I see one is now in favor of AMS2.
    If we talk about the general environmental feeling (like pitlane crews, details and animation), in-car animation and even the MP and the whole weekend flavor for sure ACC is a bit better.
    But in terms of pure cars physics there are things where ACC is just not realistic.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

How do you know, do you have experience driving them? Legit question, I see some people here actually have IRL experience.

4. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

@Dicra @Matus Celko @Ettore
    The question wich car class I mean is dumb, cause ACC has only GT3/4. And it s my opinion after days switching from ACC to AMS2. AMS2 feels like driving a boat in comparison with ACC. Slippering, glitchy and nervous tire/track boarder zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ettore

I think we can agree to have completely opposite opinions then :p

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rober

Rober Member

Other way of seen it is that ACC is like driving on bricks. Tyres are made of rubber and filled with hot air, I don't know the viscosity but maybe is nearer to some greasy surface than a complete rigid thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. MCI Goated

MCI Goated Ben Dalby AMS2 Club Member

You shouldn't compare games when making such accusations. Acc is not comparable and is personal preference like I think that ams2 has significantly better physics and ffb leading to the feel of the car.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

As said in @Ettore words: I think we can agree to have completely opposite opinions then.

And my speech wasn t accused. Sorry if you misunderstood.

And yes the racing-immersion in AMS2 is much better than in ACC; as said in former times, if you leave aside the tire/track board zone

9. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The biggest issue I have with the current state of the GT3's in AMS2 are the tires. The wear rate/temps doesn't look too bad from the UI, but feels pretty drastic after a couple laps. GTE's suffered from a similar issue for a while where the car got horrible to drive 3-4 laps in. Maybe it's a Brazilian GT3 series thing, but I would expect the tire compound to be a bit harder and more resilient. Then again, I'm only a simracing pleb with no IRL GT3 experience. :confused:

My problem with ACC has simply been FFB settings. On Fanatec gear I have to absolutely crank the "force effect intensity" to get any sense of what the car is doing. It seems like it would be a fun sim to get into, but I'm just not interested in sinking time into a GT3/GT4 only series.

That said, their livery editor is quite nice... :whistle:
    I already know it's an issue with the Madness engine's file system, don't @ me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

All the sims actually on market are physics flawed in a lot of aspects. None of these are more than 30% (illustrative number) close to the real thing and it happens only because hardware limitations that force programmers to work over bare illusions of what reality SHOULD fell like and even @Renato Simioni explained that on interviews.

Each one of the sims on market will have some situations where they totally sync-off with the expected reality and that is fine.

With that in mind, I think that Reiza could, now, focuses a little on things that are more simple to understand, as cars instruments working correctly, some side track animations (as better working pit crew and, principally, flags) and, at most, learning more and more about Madness Engine, so their magic work more like their vision of how a real car should behave.

About ACC "being better with grip"... must be a joke, because the UE4 still lags when car begin to slide even a little bit. Kunos had made it way better with the time, but stills there. Overall, ME is way better than UE4 (for race sim, or course) and if Reiza did a great work of magic here, Kunos did some Copperfield level there, even if I fell TODAY that AMS2 is a better sim (physics wise, at least) than ACC.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Where's the 30% based on?

12. Jugulador

There is no near complete complete structural simulation... no single pieces, no material real stress simulation, not even some generic damage simulation (that Beam.NG get's closer, but it's clear that it's simulating meshes deformation and not actual car pieces or material.

It got even bigger when tires are done. Not even the tire manufacturers had complete simulation of their products and game studios are in a even worst situation because none of them have the real tires specs (mean... FULL specs) of what the manufacturers know.

There is no simulation of the electrics nor electronics in "emulation" level. In AC, there is a rumor that Kunos are using ingame an emulator to run the real Huayra software that controls the car aero, but I strongly doubt that (maybe they really used it to get data, but is unlikely that the ingame model is running an emulator with the real program in real time). Even the ABS, TC, ESC, fuel injection and whatever is the electronics, could and should be emulated in real time in a 100% simulation. Actual simulators don't have even the carburetor choke control on older cars (BTW, some flight simulators have similar controls).

Or rain and water simulation, but just think about fluids mechanics and go yourself a little crazy of how far sims still are from reality.

I will not even get into the interface itself because that would be too far, but let me just say that both my old Driving Force GT and most of the DD stuff around aren't exactly like any car in our simulators (unless we do a special rig simulating an specific car, using it's real pieces).

Just little examples based on pure extrapolation. You can argue that not all of that is necessary, and I will agree with you... but there still is a long road into 100% and we can't say that more realism will make simulators worst. Maybe the 30% I used are way to optimistic about the real state. As I said: all of that is impossible exactly because of actual tech and that's what made current sim developers people to admire, because is considerably different to build an arcade racer, just focusing on what you can do to be more fun to the player and devs that, with actual inadequate tech, compromise themselves to reproduce something ultracomplex as The Reality. Crazy, arrogant, optimistic... I can't judge them, but, please, keep our sims coming as 30% as they are:)

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes. But where did you got the 30% from?

14. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

30% of all percentages are purely rhetorical :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Jugulador

@DavidGossett , @ayrton2388 :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just did the best time with that car/track combo. You can use my setup if you want to better understand the car. It's not the easier to drive but is fully doable.

ONTOPIC: To stay on topic, just two requests:

1) Please, install a rev light in this car panel... maybe beside the gear indicator;

2) I changed my ingame name to "Anakin da Mooca" but sometimes the game uses my Steam username (Jugulador). There is anyway to solve it at the current AMS2 version or it's something that will change in the future?

Abração!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jugulador

:p

Man... it's just figurative, don't need to go so serious

I'm pretty sure that 76,92133333% of all percentages had 48,524% a chance to be invented.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ettore

Hopefully v1.4 will improve on that side ;)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Getting more and more excited for 1.4 honestly, hope that "next month" plan comes sooner in the month rather than later

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The problem with this argument is you are just simply stating your preference. "I love how the "alive" and demanding the GT3 cars are in AMS2 and dislike how ACC feels too planted and feels it unrealistic to me."

Is one more accurate to real life? Hell if I know and I don't really care that much. Maybe Reiza has more updates coming for the GT3 but if not, drive the GT3s in the sim you prefer and move on.

20. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

This is also my experience with the USA Gen 3, the tires just hit a cliff few laps in a race, 1 to 1.5 seconds of pace lost within one lap. From data they look fine, in the lower 90s temperatures, 98% condition. When I disable tire wear this behaviour dissapears, which is how I play right now, becasue of this issue.

But once this gets fixed.... oooh boy :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1