1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 30, 2022.

1. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Lower 90's is not "fine", it's already on the boundary of overheating. Now the fact that it only happens when tyre wear is on is interesting, since it doesn't seem to be overheating-induced grip loss. It feels like some high-powered cars generate invisible tyre damage even when wear is minimal and temperatures are nominally within the operating windows.

2. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

I feel the lower 90s without tire wear. The tires loose little bit of traction, but it's few tenths a lap at most, as I would expect, and the tires are still green in the dashboard. So it shoudln't be a cliff.

My guess would also be what you're suggesting, that overworking the rears (which you do on a high powered car), would trigger some other kind of tire wear/damage...something akin to a super graining.

3. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

I think it isn t good to misunderstand me intentionally.
    If you follow my skins (beneath) and my articles on RD and this forum you can assume I m a AMS2 fanboy but without blindness for other facts. Check the shocking discussion on RD tire/track/grass boundary area iRacing. Smash your 5k buck rig to the rubbish

4. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The thing is, most of you (us, but I don't discuss physics cause I'm clueless about it) actually do not know what is more or what is less realistic. Including people who say AMS2 is more realistic:

Like, AMS2 is more realistic ok, but based on what can that statement be made?

I think people should avoid making such statements (X is more realistic than Y), unless they can provide something to sustain the statement itself.

What can actually be said is something like AMS2 FFB feels so much better than the rest (imho). Is it more realistic? I've no idea.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Based on going on youtube and watching when ABS and TC activate in the same series ACC is attempting to depict.
    There are plenty onboard videos of Ferraris and other GT3 cars where you can hear that ABS does not activate very often. Actually very rarely. And so does the TC.
    The noise when they activate is very clearly audible and for instance at Spa the only ABS activation on one of the most prominent youtube onboard videos only happen at the bus stop and La Source and only occasionally when the driver is in bagarre with other drivers.
    Try and watch a race in ACC and see how ABS and TC activate and for how long. The two don't match at all. In some cars you can even see the lights on the dash when the ABS activates and that gives a clear info.
    Then there is the matter of the their tires model and the (in)famous 27.6 psi for all cars and all conditions and all axles and together with total absence of temps relevance makes it not the most realistic thing in the world and my comment is based on very basic automotive engineering rules.
    I'm not sure why not agreeing that ACC is the benchmark of GT3s in all respects seems to be considered a conspiracy to keep AMS2 substandard against the users, but still that is my thought.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

In terms of TC and tire slip, I have a lot of doubts about what's happening over at ACC. If it was that easy to lose the rear, these cars would not be considered easy to drive and the GTE series' onboards would be a spin festival.

Same goes for the AMS2 overheating, minimally wearing tyres, to be fair (which have been discussed above). I find it highly unlikely some cars become that undrivable after exceeding the temperature range by a few degrees (try the Sprint Car at Imola and overdrive it a little, then see where that gets you after a few laps - it's absolutely impossible to drive, especially under braking).
    Higher difficulty of driving is of course expected, but falling off a cliff that heavily seems hard to fathom.

This is all, of course, guesswork, but if you watch real life onboards and never see a thing that frequently occurs to you in the sim, there's reason to assume something isn't quite right.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  7. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not intentionally misunderstanding you and I am not only talking about you and your statement but you see this a lot in the sim racing community especially with ACC and IRacing. If a GT3 car in another sim (whether it is AMS2 or Race Room or RF2) doesn't feel like the GT3 cars in ACC than that sim must have it wrong and they need to make a change. IRacing fan boys are notorious for this is as well. If car "X" doesn't feel like it does in IRacing than that sim is trash and needs to make a change. When in reality it maybe ACC or IRacing that has it wrong. All I know is that the cars in AMS2 are Reiza's "interpretation" of how that car should feel on their sim. If you don't like how it feels, than don't drive those cars but it doesn't necessarily mean that they have it "wrong" and need to change their physics or do an update to their car.

Another example is F1 22. I really want to enjoy that game but I just do not like how the F1 cars drive in that game compared to the F1 cars in AMS2 or the RSS Hybrid 22 for AC. Are the F1 cars in F1 22 not realistic or have bad physics compared to IRL (probably)? I have no idea but all I know is that I do not like how they drive and will have to wait for an update to see they make changes that suit what I like better but I'm not gonna say they have better or worst physics than any other sim because I just do not know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Im seeing (when racing the A.I.) cars litterally driving though each other whilst battling on track, right infront of me! Not because they are pitting or anything like that, just driving through each other, its really not good. This is happening reasonably often. Anyone else finding this?

9. sgsfabiano

Good! This is way better than just saying "AMS2 is better than ACC" or vice-versa.

With your arguments on the table, now the other fella can provide his and you both can debate arguments and come to a conclusion.

10. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

On the future topic of Racin' USA Pt 4, Imma leave this here for possible inspiration. :rolleyes:

Also, that 80's ESPN intro slaps.
    giphy (5).gif

• Like Like x 3
  11. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I dont think ams2 tyres not ever wear out, I just think the ui is not very informative. Didnt someone say that in project cars 2 that the tyre wear indicator ui goes faster than the telemetry output or something?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Obvs tyre wear is critically important in both oval and f1 racing so it cant be wrong or bad or unrealistic

13. sgsfabiano

AMS2 tyres UI display only 50% of tyre life. By using dashboards you can verify that the data sent to the dashboard is different from what is being displayed on the UI.

So if you see the UI with 100% tyre wear, actually the real tyre wear is 50%.

Unless the data sent to the dashboard is wrong, which I don't think that is the case.

• Informative Informative x 4
  14. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

No what the ME does is show tyre life from 100-50% in the UI when raw telemetry shows from 100-0%. The game only shows half the tyre wear and during pC2 times it was thought to be so that wear and grip relationship became hard to judge past half life. But I have no idea how AMS2 handles the amount of thread and grip past 50%. That's something for the devs to clarify.

• Informative Informative x 4
  15. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No duh, when the tire wear is wrong and we have incorrect information it is even double wrong o_O
    Probably some improvements can be made but In combination with some driving experience and car knowledge it is an ok indicator, it indicates.
    I think tire wear should have the option to be unrealistic (as we have in AMS2) if you want to make it important in most of the "sprint"-races held in AMS2

16. DavidGossett

A few discord leagues I've been part of tried to make the 3 tire compounds of the F-UG2 work in an event. Even with drivers experimenting around, the going double softs was the optimal strategy with 2x wear. We were getting nearly 20+ laps out of them, with the only track enough deg to warrant mediums being Monaco.

Maybe with 3-4x wear it would make sense, but at that point, just doing more pitstops seemed better than taking the worse tire.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
  17. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would recommend deferring those considerations to after the tires thermal model of AMS2 is tuned as per the last developer's log.
    With changes due to be applied some of these things will likely be more reasonably tuned than they have been in the past. ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. DavidGossett

Fair enough I guess, Reiza is constantly tweaking the tires, so it's subject to change with each update. My point was more that the tire compounds are currently pretty far apart in terms of race performance. Without the accelerated wear, it would've been over 30+ laps in a stint until the medium became a better option. I'm sure that will change with the introduction of graining.

I will say, flat spots are properly noticeable and affect race performance now. Repeated lockups have consequences as of the past couple of updates.

19. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

The four wheel drive cars Lancer are not good. The steering angle cannot be set to automatic, I have to turn it down a lot to make it right. And the power is much too hard and too big in the curves. It almost seems to me that the cars have too much grip. I hope Reiza will correct these cars in physics:)

20. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

When I raced Formula 1000 (in RL) we used to bought worn slick tires that already were used by professional (or semi-pro) leagues.

I can't explain it with technical data (because we didn't had anything but, sometimes, some non official tables indicating optimal pressure and temperature referent to the vehicle's weight and average speed, but in the end we just did some heavy guessing that were as scientific as future predictions with tarot cards) but these tires, usually, had some long live (we could use the same tire set during four or five weekends with no big issues) despite it's peak performance was already gone after the few laps done by the pros.

The main issue that comes with weariness is not the diminishing in performance (what happens, but I believe that each tire model has it's own characteristics about how it happens and it's not a simple linear grip lost), but the real danger is the tire being damaged and start to loose pressure because of small puncturing (what is inconvenient but not too dangerous... if you realize it as soon as it happens) or even blowing up (what is really dangerous).

As the tire model in AMS2 don't work with tire damage and I don't know (devs could elucidate about it) what it have about flat spots, specific area wearing (I.M.O. bands or even more band counting if available), different layers temperature and waste (because tires don't waste only because of friction, but it's overall elasticity incite micro fissuring all over the material, with different models being more or less influenced by it), maybe it's a waste of time to discuss about it... maybe, if it have damage, the current wearing would make more sense.

Personally, I don't think that it's wearing slower or quicker than it should... I use to do some pretty long offline races and my only critic is that AI tires, SOME TIMES, seems to work in a different rate, but it's only a guess and I never really policed it and it simply could be that I'm forcing my car more that I would. BTW, aren't you doing your race pace all wrong? Because, at least in online races, people seems to always being hotlapping the shty out of the game. And for what I usually see in Youtube channels, our favorite youtubers don't feel like caring a crp about race pace. MAYBE (a big and non judgmental "maybe") you that are complaining about tire weariness are doing it all wrong. Maybe Reiza (if it isn't already in the game) could give an option to set between 90% to 10% of tire weariness and each player choses what considers to be the ideal (as happens with overall car damage).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2