1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

yeah, i wouldn't mind 3 different looking car models but with the same performance, even if it is just a single car it would be ok.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Chillblast

Chillblast Member AMS2 Club Member

I wouldn't hold your breath on this one chief. Pretty sure SMS even said mid session saves are impossible to implement properly because of the live track.

Their compromise was the inclusion of the ai driver swap.

3. Chillblast

Reiza have full access to the engine so they could go in deep and try to rectify some of those legacy issues in madness.

I'm amazed just how much reiza have done to make the madness engine work as well as it does. Top work by reiza

• Like Like x 3
  4. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Could this be one of reasons why online driver swaps never made it to the Madness engine? All users needing to have the same initial track conditions for it to sync for the whole session?

Edit: this can't be given live track still works with practice and quali sessions when people join late.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  5. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

omg that could explain that. SMS must have thought about it because you can driver swap to the AI, and this would explain why they gave up after that point

6. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No way, otherwise it would imply each driver in a session has a different track state. Surely this can't be true, right? If it is true, then the livetrack loses all its usefulness for online racing.

7. DavidGossett

True, and there has to be some way live track works with people joining late in quali or practice

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Chillblast

I'm not 100% sure on that. I vaguely remember it being discussed on a PC2 thread years ago when it was first released and a dev posted a comment with something along the lines of " PC2 wasn't made with online driver swaps considered" so it could be a madness limitation, livetrack drawback, or another factor.

It's worth noting that other titles do driver swaps with the use of dedicated servers so coding on a server maybe the answer. But I know from experience that setting up a server using the PC2 dedicated server setups were awful and often buggy af

9. Spacekid

Spacekid Member AMS2 Club Member

Don´t tell things you even don´t know. How do you know they have full access?

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

There are some interesting interviews in the youtube channel Steelcast27, one of them is linked in one of the DEV uodates. Renato talks about many details.

Edit: Here:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chillblast

at around the 16 minute mark, they go into detail about how they originally wanted to stick with the engine used in previous games but the core engine source code dated back to the 90s and the team had neither the time or manpower to go into it and change it to meet their needs. So they shopped around for an engine that not only they could use with the previous work they did on ams and Stockcar extreme, but also have the potential to support the features they wanted to implement. Sms pretty volunteered their engine and source code to let them have full reign.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Apparently there was a post from SMS forum shared here that said that practically joining a MP session already ongoing meant the newest client would have rubber spread differently from those who joined the session in the beginning in that the amount of rubbering would be spread according to a fixed logic and therefore in a different way from the players who went through the whole session.
    If that is indeed true, I wouldn't be surprising that saving, drivers change and stuff like that could have unexpected issues.
    And I would think Reiza would have a heck of a job to do to fix this in the core program

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Reiza has stated it several times in interviews and forums...

14. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, then livetrack is more of a hinderance than a beneficial feature. The server should be the node sending this sort of data...

The more we learn about the engine, the clearer it is to me they built it thinking mostly on singleplayer than multiplayer.

What a headache Reiza must be facing now.

15. DavidGossett

Then again, we're mainly just speculating. I would be curious to find out directly from Reiza how this works. I don't see how replays would be a limitation but "non-sync'ed joins" wouldn't be. There have been several quali sessions where the track quickly rubbered in for all drivers, not just the early joining ones. I would be surprised if they didn't already have a solution to that.

16. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I hope someday they drop a bombshell on the sim racing community and introduce major graphics, MP and live track improvements (i.e. things that people currently think are not possible).

For now they have their hands full but who knows where things will be in 6 months? For all we know there are already side projects testing out solutions for these issues?

We all benefit from Reiza's ambition and success.

• Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

They got the engine and the source code of pCARS2.
    Not the source code of the engine, afaik
    Thats a difference.

18. cristian51

cristian51 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I was racing some ovals last night!!!!! Unfortunately my wife woke me up and all was a dream hahahaha. Im still hyped in dreams :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

if there are licensing issues, why not create 3 or 4 fictitious models with the technical specifications used in the original series? Otherwise you can always bring back the Copa Petrobas from Marcas, I'm sure that would be appreciated.

20. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Looking forward to the dev update today, since today is the last day of the week, excited to see what we can expect in a few weeks time...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1