1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Gary_S

Gary_S Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've read the back and forth over the missed deadline thing. On one hand, we have a business, developer that is missing deadline after deadline. Promises to give updates and fails to do so.
    As players of the game, we have a vested interest to know what is going on with the game and plan leagues around the expected content dates. As players, we become partners of the developer, often invested into DLC packs, past and future. So the least we can expect is some updates....this would be the correct business move. People become annoyed and frustrated as the company is not held to account. They call out the mistreatment of their loyalty to Reiza, often getting attacked on the forum for it.

On the other hand, we have forum (what I can only describe as fanboys) who are OK with missed deadlines, are OK with not being updated. These people advise that we go enjoy the sunshine and that it is "only a game". We are called "children" and told to "grow up". These people are obviously very agreeable people and will accept anything they are given in life. They don't get annoyed by mistreatment, probably don't even notice it as they are passive by nature.

The whole point of this is, missed deadlines happen. It is usually a reflection of a poorly managed team and their planned output, but as I have said before, sometimes a little chaos in development can be a good thing. I have no doubt that the team are working hard on the release. Again, some communication on this would also be welcome and expected, especially with the hype that has been building and the promises made last week for a small update. Again, this is mis-management of expectations, commitments and a community/customer update.
    People who don't care about updates (as mentioned above) can go and enjoy the sun. There is also a portion of users (gasp) who do want updates...who are maybe a lot more invested into sim racing that you or I, and cling onto these updates. Some people may not have a job, may be kind of alone and sim racing could be their main outlet in life. So before any of you judge, stop and think about what you are going to write and how it may impact the reader.

This WHOLE topic is created by Reiza's constant missed deadlines, either for releases or updates. It would be much better for them to say no update for 3 weeks (or whatever) and just keep working away.
    But, like anything in life, when you speak, people listen. When you commit, people expect. When you fail to deliver, reputation gets tarnished. It is as simple as that.

I work in software, so I will remain neutral on this, I know how tough it can be for Reiza....but they really need to think a bit on how to communicate to the customers/partners/community.

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • Dislike x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not vettel, was Kovalainen I think, don't know how to spell his name

3. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

What Ettore mentions is correct. Beta backers don’t get access to a nightly build or further inside info than the changelogs you eventually end up seeing other than maybe the occasional post by a dev to clarify something, which we see in the public forum as well.
    Some offline players will only ever play the beta. Others just launch the beta to participate in the MP tests. Some just want to have a peek. Then there’s those actively looking at areas of the game and often making bug reports and giving feedback. (And finally, there are a handful of Internal Testers who will do their best to be as logical as possible in their tests and as objective as possible in their feedback.)
    And this is ok because this was the reward for our early investment and trusting the team to create a great product. It doesn’t make any of us better or worse independently what one or the other side likes to claim.

And in regards to builds there are 1 or 2 builds in the week for the MP tests (if at all, and a few close to RC). Changelogs come often late due to their size even after a single week, because it takes time away from Renato doing actual useful work. This stuff is all so condensed and people don’t realise that the work is counted by the minute to cram it all in. I do realise the fact we, beta-backers, see the evolution of the game on a shorter interval, which of course allows us to be more patient and understanding with Renato. I don’t think anyone will debate that. But it is also why I often feel the need to come out to counter-argue and defend attacks (and I myself can come across quite cross the bigger the inanity professed). It’s not about shutting down discussions, but about trying to bring perspective.

It is understandable to be annoyed over a lack of communication. But do understand that Renato is not the type of boss to sit on the chariot calmly doing some work and then typing words away to pass time. He’s actively pulling the chariot at the lead and doesn’t want to drop the workload so both the team can all get their part done and so we can enjoy the updates. Do understand that work comes before communication. Do understand that acting selfish or mad and going into petty arguments isn’t gonna bring any of this any quicker.

I understand being excited and feeling disappointed, but it’s up to each and everyone of us to deal with their own feelings in a healthy way. If people can’t do that, then maybe it’s best to be less emotionally attached to the need to see a dev or game update. Nothing more, nothing less.

With that said, let the shítposting/the great memery continue.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You know more than you think considering you got it right. :)
    Edit: The spelling anyway. I have no idea if he's actually the person you're looking for.

5. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

But,
    we are talking only about down force, not the problems with can an engine work upside down or are there any tunnels in the world where an F1 car could do this. Also where talking about the shape of a wing, the side that generates low pressure will always be the same regardless of the orientation of the attached vehicle. So I don't buy it.

6. Kim

Kim Mr. Andersen in SIM AMS2 Club Member

exactly:p

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. samrussell_98

samrussell_98 If in doubt, go flat out AMS2 Club Member

Personally, I don’t care about the missed deadlines, they aren’t really deadlines that are being set. They are more so comments suggesting when we are potentially going to hear more. I would much rather time get spent on making the game better, than a document to be produced to tell me they are making the game better. Obviously they are making the game better, look at the trajectory they are on and when they have already come from and everybody chill a little.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Tinfoil hat theory:

What if Renato purposefully delays everything to make us divided so we won't like to race online with "those bastards who have different opinion from mine" so Reiza won't need to develop the multiplayer features thus saving them heaps of money?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

Well as a native speaker I can say you were bang on. If you really wanna shine next time add his full name, Heikki Johannes Kovalainen. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

ah ok, I must have conflated the two incidents as there was also one with Weber and Vettel, which maybe Weber just spun out into a run off area.

11. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the scope of the dlc packs massively increased. Racin usa was just meant to be one dlc, not four. I still think the season pass is very good value for money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you are only allowing us to talk about total downforce compared to vehicle mass, then you are correct. In that simple downforce=suction model, an F1 car should stick to the road, even upside down, and even when going over the uneven pre-2016 crest before Flugplatz. But can we also be allowed to talk about downforce balance?

Imagine an example F1 car at 1000kg, with 500kg mass (~5000N force) on the front axle and 500kg mass (~5000N force) on the rear axle. Let's say that the downforce balance on the wings is 1:3, with 2500N on the front wing and 7500N on the rear wing. If we assume that the center of downforce on the front and rear is directly over each axle (it isn't), we then get 7500N force pushing the front axle down and 12500N force pushing the rear axle.

Then add the fact that the wings aren't directly over the axle, but rather on the extreme ends ahead of the front or behind the rear, in order for the downforce to provide as much torque (be as effective) as possible. Then the front-rear downforce balance gets an even greater effect on the pitch sensitivity of the car. Oh, did I mention pitch sensitivity? Wings also have an optimal pitch window where the Bernoulli effect works – an airplane can't just keep increasing pitch to avoid a stall, eventually all lift will suddenly be lost.

I'm not at all surprised that the F1 car lifts its front wing despite it having "tons of downforce". In fact, adding more downforce to the rear will usually make the problem worse. Fluid dynamics is a complex topic – reducing the equation to a simple "total downforce vs. vehicle mass" equation won't work when we get to edge cases like this.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Yeah gravity is also very underrated :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

None of us are partners, none of us have a financial vested interest, we are simply consumers that chose of our own free will to purchase and play the game with our own money.
    It’s their company, they can choose their business practices, their communication, their day to day management and when they release things. They can also choose whether to listen to their customers or not listen to them. Their decisions will impact on how successful and long term the game is and that’s for them to decide on and not us.
    We don’t get a say in this at all, but we can choose not to play their game, buy anymore dlc and play another sim. That’s the great thing about being a consumer, you are free to choose from all the competition that’s out there.
    As consumers we can choose to play their game, purchase their dlc and if they don’t meet expectations, then you get to vote with your wallet and play time elsewhere.
    Just because we gave them money, this does not make us a partner, we don’t have a financial vested interest in Reiza, just like we aren’t a partner in Nando’s because we bought four half chickens for ourselves and the family. We are simply consumers and nothing more.
    I bought the game on day one and I thought it was awful. I was given the choice to refund or let them keep my money to support them and hope long term the game gets good. I still hardly play this game and I’ve bought all the dlc of my own free will to show support and because I wanted to. I only started to enjoy hot lapping it from V1.3 which was eighteen months after release. I joined a league on discord but the multiplayer is so broken it was not fun or enjoyable, so I play other racing games that are available and enjoyable.
    Instead of throwing tantrums, I simply play the sims that I do enjoy like RF2, R3E and AC and play AMS2 every now and then.
    As a consumer we are owed nothing by a company and that’s why there are consumer laws in place to cover us.
    I’m absolutely not a fan boy of Reiza, anyone who has read my comments on here can vouch for that haha
    It doesn’t state anywhere on steam or Reiza T&C’s that we are entitled to dev updates or demand when a new game update comes out or even at all.
    Regardless of someone’s personal situation, if you own AMS2, there’s a very high chance you own at least one other driving sim, play that or look into purchasing one of the more complete driving sims.

• Like Like x 2
  15. rmagid1010

Gravity, a cruel and unpredictable mistress...

16. rmagid1010

I guess the benefit of this is that we all criticise the game, rather than act as yes-men and pretend the game is perfect so it sells better. The criticism Reiza had faced two years ago 100% led to a better game today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gary_S

This is incorrect. It is not about the orientation to the car, it is the orientation of the air being presented to the wing ONLY. It is exactly like an aeroplane, as it pitches up and down, it will climb or descend, as we are changing the angle at which the air is presented to the wing.
    The same is true for a car, the mere act of braking and accelerating moves the pitch angle of the car, and therefore affects downforce.
    So a car approaching a crest at high speed would be at risk of having air getting underneath the aero body and sending it airborne. It would also depend on how the wings are setup on the car as to how quickly or how much risk there would be in this happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Now I'm really going to throw spanners into the works by asking whether you think the F-Ult G2 (that relies predominantly on ground effect) should be more or less likely to take off than the V10 G2.

I would assume the seal to the floor could be lost far more readily, yet in the game it can take the crest full flat, no problem.

19. Gary_S

You will never, ever get close to running a business with this attitude. What you have written is the complete opposite of every successful corporate or business on the face of the earth.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Gary_S

It is not something that can be answered plainly. If the air hits the front wing, or gets under the body in enough volume to create a higher pressure below the car, then it will lift.
    If a car has more ground effect, then one would assume the downforce generated by the mid to rear of the car is higher, and in theory it would be harder to generate lift...but this is purely theoretical. A flatter, sealed and more rearward biased downward push "should" be harder to break. Also bear in mind that the G2 cars are heavier too, so there is also that to bear in mind, more weight to lift.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1