1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I always assumed it was 2001 due to similarities with the FW23, engine power spec (which I don't understand why but it's always lower inside the game than what it's stated at the UI AFAIK), TC availability, overall performance, top speed, etc. And again, I think it's a very, very good representation of the era inside AMS2, and one of the best things this title has to offer.
    Regarding your final comment: we can always agree to disagree. I think that footage is one of the best, because it displays the performance of the cars in many aspects like those you mentioned, where the limitations laid, and how the drivers used the best and worked around the worst of their machinery. I also like it because it highlights the precision of Michael's driving, the way he goes through at the end of the video screams like "see peasants? that's how you do it" :p

• Like Like x 1
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Their top speed prob helped with lap time too. You look at the leaders of a race nowadays without DRS they are very slow in top speed and this is happening lap after lap. The cars back then had high top speed for lap after lap without the aid of any tricks. At Monza in 1998 DC was fastest through the race speed trap at around 362kph. Without DRS at Monza now the top speed is around 30 - 35kph slower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

The highest speed trap record in Monza 1998 during race was Barrichello in the Stewart at 340 km/h. That speed you mention is just too high for that year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

fair enough, I am quite exited about 1.5 but recently I noticed that the cars that currently have the 1.5 physics can run over sausage curbs at 260+ km/h without taking suspension damage while cars without it do get the damage, is this gonna be adressed when 1.5 drops?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks God. 15 years of development and slick tires finally made those elephants a bit faster on same tracks. Small problem: 2019 race was on shorter lap and on one lap less for a total of 7 km less raced at Suzuka.. So probably with same lap length and same amount of laps F2004 would have still been faster. You may want to search for another track :D

6. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

How was 2004 on a longer track? The track wasn't changed since 2003 AFAIK?

7. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

2004 Japanese Grand Prix
    2019 Japanese Grand Prix
    Suzuka

Same lap length, only thing that changed is positioning of the S/F. Forgot the race was called one lap earlier due to somebody waving the checkered one lap earlier. Gap between both race results is almost two laps worth of laptime, and the difference in race length is the exact 5807 meters of Suzuka's measure in both years.

8. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Correct.

9. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Earth is getting smaller, I guess. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 6
  10. Ettore

upload_2023-7-4_14-43-39.png
    upload_2023-7-4_14-44-13.png
    You can judge by facts as per attached instead of pushing dreams. Possibly some small reprofiling justifies the 14 m change? Still the race went one lap less which is about 5.8 km. The race was overall 7 km shorter which is around 1 min 52 s less time in 2004 laps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Or maybe the dude who put the picture on wikipedia accidentally picked the motorcycle circuit which is exactly 5.821km long.
    But maybe I am also pushing dreams instead of taking what a random guy put on Wikipedia as fact :rolleyes:
    That's why I said before: Don't take what Wikipedia says as a source or fact for anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

The problem is that Wikipedia bases track and race length on the Motorcycle layout.

Edit: didn't see the above response, already covered!

13. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Maybe Im the first to express a possible critique of the comming 1.5 version of the TM but the 2 new cars, F-US 2023 and the F-Inter, feels overly damped/smoothed out (IMO).
    Both between controller input and car reaction but also between curbs and bumps influence on the cars behavior/reaction.
    I hope Im wrong but Im beginning to fear that todays AMS2 feel of instant connection between tarmac/curbs and car reaction does end up with a much more smoothed out reaction type like some of the other more boring sims.:whistle:

ByTheWay: No its not because I have faulty settings of my FFB.:rolleyes:

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Can’t that just be how the default setup is made?

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. BrunoB

I dont know about you but I cook my own setups - with absolutely no resemblance to the defaults.:p

16. Racinglegend1234

I just wanted to check that, but by “smoothed out” do you mean the cars are not hard to handle?

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. BrunoB

Thats difficult to answer.
    Because if you just drive them closer to their grip limit then they are different (than the TM now) but not actually easier. They just feels something like that until as said you press them further.
    Im not talking about easier/harder to handle but about more smoothed out reaction.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Racinglegend1234

I don’t fully understand. Do you mean that the tyres aren’t very peaky?

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. BrunoB

Good question.
    But the tires peaky-ness or slow/fast response of the tires is only part of the feeling of smoothed out car reaction.
    But if Im the only one that is able to feel this then it doesnt matter.
    But if the other (formula) cars who get this 1.5 upd does show the same change in behaviour then it will probably make an impact on my personal entusiasm for this sim.
    But I hope not ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Ettore

Did wikipedia also invent that the race was one lap shorter? That is 5.8 km out of 7...

2004 Japanese Grand Prix Weekend Results - ESPN
    2019 Japanese Grand Prix Weekend Results - ESPN

Anyway, back to the technical point: the fact in the matter is that grooved tires are far less responsive by physical construction because the grooves allow deformation that slick don't suffer.
    The proof is that there were competitors like BMW (with Michelin if I recall well) often playing with tire grooves becoming bald and slick-like to go faster even though the tread was completely gone. That was until FIA put more stringent rules on the measuring of grooves on used tires and explain how big was the advantage to have more responsive tires even with the tread already completely consumed.
    The rest is dreaming. Think what you prefer.