1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 19, 2023.

1. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

I think it should last way more than that. I have a 3 year old G29, it looks and works as brand new (gloves are the key I think). I am sure it wil work for many, many years (I hope to get something else sooner than later, though). The pro should be even of better quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Greenlightning

Greenlightning New Member

Responding to early post about question on Straight 4 using Unreal Engine.

Straight 4 and Reiza do have an agreement to share information. What that consists of is to be determined, had been announced on straight 4 website.

3. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Case in point: I bought my G25 a whopping 15 (!) years ago (in August). And I can't wrap my head around the fact that it had a metal + leather rim, THREE pedals, and an H-Shifter/Sequential Shifter all together back at that time, while some wheels sold today are way pricier and offer way less build quality and features. After I upgraded the thing with a GT Faceplate (12 LEDs + 4 extra buttons) and got an external gear indicator I felt like I got to sim racing heaven, haha. It may just be an old and lowly belt-driven wheel (correction: gear driven), but it is still going strong after all those years and I wouldn't have it any other way (nor could I afford a replacement).

But of course if anyone wants to give a complete DD setup including a cockpit away (because I still race sitting at my desk) for free, then I won't say no... :D

Last edited: Jul 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The G25 has a rack and pinion drive and no belt. :pfeift:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. XTRMNTR2K

Ah right - I always get those two mixed together, even though the CLANKING and RATTLING of the gears should make it obvious. Silly me. :oops:

Either way, I rest my case - the bang for the buck of a G25 wheel setup hasn't been beaten yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

A T300 maybe?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If your budget won't stretch to a Logitech G25 or G29, etc., look for an old Logitech DFGT. Only two pedals and a Fisher-Price gearstick but it's built like a tank and is ideal for anyone who has never tried a FFB wheel and doesn't want to spend more than a few pounds when trying one.

(Sorry for straying off-topic.)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Logitech base has lasted a very long time in terms of quality. My buddy who drives GT7 for about 2 hours a day, you can call him a GT7 alien, has been driving the G29 since release.

9. XTRMNTR2K

If that's the one I am thinking off - the T300 RS GT - then no way in hell. The G25 was around 300 EUR for the complete package, whereas the T300 RS GT is ~330 on amazon right now, and the TH8A shifter is another 160 bucks! So around 500 in total. There are more buttons on the wheel itself, but the G25 shifter unit also has 8 buttons and a four-way hat, so I'd say they're about equal in that regard.

Besides, how long has the T300 been on the market? I'm woefully ill-informed when it comes to Thrustmaster products, sorry. All I'm saying is that I doubt the longevity will be the same as the old Logitech products (which, I'll admit, rapidly went downhill in terms of quality around the time of the G940 HOTAS debacle - although mine still works... mostly.).

10. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Compared to a G29 the T300RSGT is alreay on a much higher level in every aspect. It only took a 2 year old boy 20 minutes to detroy the G29, he stil tries with the T300. Also the pedals of the t300 use hall sensors not Potis liek the Logitechs. I got signel spikes in the throttle ans brake axis just one year after purchanse in 2020.

The Forcxe feddback of the T300 is also on hgiher level. the effects are m,uch cleaner and some effects that only produce rattle and clunking in the G29 are actual effects on a T300 (Dirt Rally 2.0)

There is already a cheaper option to the TH8A shifter, that also features 8 gears but can't be rotated or converted into a sequential shifter by default like the TH8A.

And last but not least,the T300 is a base, you can change and replace the rims, or just only get a new base when replacement is due.

Regarding the belts, I have not noticed any wear on the T300 and i use it for Dirt Rally 2.0 that is much harder on hardware than any road circuit sim.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. stealthradek

stealthradek I know nothing. AMS2 Club Member

T300 is completely different technology underneath so direct comparison is not quite possible. It comes with its own set of pros and cons. Pros being much quieter, faster and smoother at the expense of not being put together like a tank. First iterations were prone to overheat and there are plenty of reports from various users around the globe where their base just died.
    Logitech bases the technology is ancient but it still delivers fine. The newest wheels are pretty much the same with minor improvements or added features such as vibrations.

T300 used to be a natural step from G27, the difference can be felt so if you can jump to T300 I'd suggest doing that. However DD are not that far off so maybe it's worthy jumping two steps and diving into DD directly.

There's a reason why people are going from Logitech to T300 to DD, but at the same time there's nothing wrong with lack of progression too.

Neither step will make you directly faster.

• Like Like x 1
  12. XTRMNTR2K

Source? I'm genuinely curious. (Though not surprised given Logitech's quality in recent years.) :D

I would, however, argue that this doesn't pertain to the G25 in many ways - I consider the G29 part of the newer, more... "planned obsolescence-compliant" Logitech products compared to the old stuff.

Not trying to argue about the actual experience the T300 delivers (no doubt the FFB is way superior) - though I've never tried one - but my point about longevity, build quality and price regarding the G25 still stands.

13. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax Active Member AMS2 Club Member

False. The pedals supplied with the T300RS use potentiometers.

14. Berghe

Berghe BANNED BANNED

Looking forward to the update today

• Optimistic Optimistic x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

The forum hasn’t lost it’s optimism

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It is about the same price or even cheaper to simply buy flight tickets to USA, buy the bundle there and comeback:
    • Flight tickets (round trip): US$ 850
    • CSL DD Ready2Race BMW Bundle for PC (8 Nm): US$ 500
    • Total: US$ 1.350
    Average price for lower end DD wheels in Brazil (Steering wheel rim + Base, no pedals): US$ 2.000

• Informative Informative x 7
  17. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Every day is a Friday for the foreseeable future.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

And even if... those in the T3PAGT are obvioulsy of higher quality then those in the G29. because I see no signal spikes even after years.

19. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I went from a T300 to a "cheap" Moza R5 and the biggest difference I have found is that the DD feels like a real car steering does, the resistance you get is extremely good and very much like the real thing. With the T300 you get about the same strength of the R5 but the detail and feel is not "real". It works,but after trying a DD there's no going back.

In terms of reliability the T300 was a workhorse, 5 years of use and it was working great still, replaced it because of the desk stand that broke and used that as leverage to convince the missus to get a new wheel :cool:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

T300 is not too bad nowadays. I would go for a used CSW 2.5 its between 200-300 euro. Or if you bulk up some more money you can do for a CSL DD 8nm. Ofcourse there's plenty of other brands as well. You can also wait for Fanatec to release a CSW DD, but who knows when it will appear.
    If you have the money than a Simucube 2 is a no brainer.

• Agree Agree x 4