1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This. Remember the 1.3.0 update in November 2021? Most people don't. But that update had "Extensive revisions to all tires & driveline models, (…) fixing a bug clutch LSD preload calculation". And the same with the 1.4.0 update, with the tire carcass changes. Now with the 1.5.0 update, the changes are on a similar level. It will be a step up from before, but not the complete game-changer that some of the hype is claiming. There is still room for improvement :)

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Yes

3. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

I think Renato stated the date indirectly (by the end of next week this, in a couple of weeks that). People interpreted as a hard deadline while i don't think it was. Even if it was, people tends to magnify the drama, there should be no drama at all around this. One can argue that it would be better that Renato just do not announce any loose date even.. I've been on that side but come on... This is just the game forum where we, the enthusiasts talk, and they also talk more than we could demand, sometimes leaking tiny bits of their plans. This is not a formal mean... just calm down and go playing the game, that it is already in a good shape...

About the last hype thing, nobody should believe "1.5 is a new game". Fortunately it is not. If it was, we would be again in the early part of the development cycle. AMS2 is more mature than that now. People have a good teaser of how 1.5 is with the cars that were released last month. What is hyped and I think it deserves it, is that the physics of 1.5 are unanimously praised by everyone (I'm not leaking anything here, just talking about what it is public). Even people that never connected with AMS2. I don't think this happened before with AMS2, and it is hard to find something similar with any sim title at all. Perhaps AMS1 is the closest.

Other interesting things will come with 1.5 as can be read in OP, but still there will be many things to improve, of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Having experienced the previous updates, I carefully disagree. It's on the same level as the diff bug fix: A fundamental bug that affected nearly all cars in some way - some more than others - and that's now gone, leaving every single car in a better state than it was before.

With 1.4, some cars went backwards, but that's not the case up until now. In fact, even revised cars are on an upward trajectory - the F-UltimateG2 from the beta drives more natural than the 1.4.8 F-UltimateG2. But on the other hand, that's also why there is so much intense work going on behind the scenes and so little time for public communication; because what's being done now will provide the baseline for the future, and I think it's not likely we'll have such fundamental changes ever again.

If you generally don't like it after 1.5, I doubt you ever will.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think it's about hyping, it just needs to be clear on one point: some cars that were renown to be highly problematic have changed quite dramatically (to the tune of literally day and night), others that were more on point will experience a change that is a bit more subtle. Recognizable but subtle.
    If the expectation (and it's a quite widespread one) is that once v1.5 is out, AMS2 will drive the same as a clone of ACC or RF2, that expectation will not be fulfilled.
    AMS2 will still have its distinctive flavor even though some of the most prominent complaints (typically the lack of front feeling in some cars or the tendency to understeer in some transitional conditions, several cases of excessive sensitivity to gas application in slow speed corners) will largely be gone. Will they be gone 100% on 100% of cars? Probably some residual issues will be there, but the fact that Reiza is deep revising what is almost 200 cars by now gives a sense of how deep the change will be.
    A lot of other matters will still remain open especially when it comes to MP including broadcasting and race director features, erratic controls registration and so on.
    This is what can be realistically expected. There is reason to hype but not to think AMS2 is finished tomorrow.
    Heck, even Renato already mentioned some improvements they want to prepare for v1.6.. :D

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  6. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

1.3 was fixing the sticky wheel bearings iirc, although i dont think it made as big as marginal improvement as 1.4. 1.4 was huge as it fixed the biggest issue i had with ams2 and pc2. But obvs there was still another years worth of improvement to come. I doubt we will see any more whole changes to physics though but i could be wrong. Anything from here on should be adding to the physics model, as opposed to fixing legacy bugs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Everyone: "Quick quick I don't care if it's finished, release it now or you'll ruin my life!"
    Everyone else: "Noo you released it too soon it's unfinished you've ruined my life!"
    The ones inbetween: "Might not be quite there yet but it's getting better every day, now let's crack open another beer."

• Funny Funny x 7
  8. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I never took the predictions and estimations as hard deadline, I'm just saying that if the estimations are too optimistic every single time, maybe it would be better to be a bit more pessimistic and add some buffer so those would be slightly more to the mark.

As for the update itself, 1.4.8 improvement was already quite big with the cars that got updated (hey even that famous youtuber with some bad blood history with Reiza thought so), so no wonder why people are eager to get the rest of it a try.

9. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

I can't play until next week now so take your time :D:hurrayreiza:

10. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Tbh at this point I am convinced that Renato is a victim to the as of yet undescribed "SDHD-Syndrome" (Scheduling-Deficit-Hyperoptimistic-Syndrome).

People that have this will continuously find that their idea of "time" somehow never lines up with what the stupid calendar says.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Ill repeat this - because after testing the updated F-Ulti-G2 against G1 I does prefer G1.
    On G2 its more or less impossible to feel EXACTLY when its loosing grip.
    The border between grip to non-grip is smoothed out so its more or less impossible to exactly feel when it happens.
    In a RL formula car (like FF1600) you feel EXACTLY when the tires give up and you have to act rather quickly not to loose it.
    Yes sorry I have some experience in this tiny formula class from when I was young :whistle:

ByTheWay: Something similiar is my assessment of the updated F-Junior. The change between grip to non grip is smoothed way too much out (IMO). But lets see the other cars updated :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

No car is final

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Mickael Peterson

Mickael Peterson New Member

Some people here were talking about Renato's message, here is it :

14. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

I definitely have this.

Edit: To be fair, it is common in IT. That is in part why some academics state that software engineering is not actually engineering at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

How can we hype it when we are not allowed to talk about it?:confused::rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I have preferred the 2019 car to the 2022 since it arrived, it has never clicked with me but I do think - never having driven anything higher than an F3 - that the ground effect comes across that way to me, which would make sense for the G2 given that it relies predominantly on downforce from the floor. I feel this is similar in the Brabham BT46, a sort of lateral slide that feels smooth without necessarily completely losing the grip. I have always interpretted that information as the difference in feel between heavy 'over-car' downforce which drops drastically when changing direction/speed vs the more gradual fall off of ground effect (not withstanding bumps ofc).

The G1 is a far more pointy car, capable of quick changes of direction, that is a difference which is mirrored in the real life racing of both eras of F1 car, the last set of regulations had far more snappy racing whereas the current rule set has led to a change in lines, back to an almost textbook approach; clean seperate inputs by stage and the roundest, shortest route.

I'm not saying that it is 'realistic', I actually think the real life vs. sim debate is a little futile; as you know, rattling around in the car and fearing for your life as well as the wellbeing of the incredibly expensive car you've been fortunate enough to get in are the biggest restraints on your pace. That cannot be replicated.

What I am saying is that I feel the difference between the two sets them apart as distinct and the information I receive on the cars behaviour does make me feel like I am experiencing two different cars with their respective 'traits' or 'personality' highlighted, if that makes sense.

In my opinion that is what AMS2 does best, sometimes a car has an exagerrated amount of (x) but that often gives the flavour to the individual models.

• Like Like x 5
  17. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

I guess you didn't read the last 3-or-so pages here.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

I'm not a fan of it. I've tried it a few times and it just feels so old. Every time i try it, i usually do a race or two then cancel my membership again. Just my personal opinion, i know a lot of people swear by it but i just don't get it.

AMS2 just hits that sweet spot for me in pretty much every way.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Iuri_Rein

Iuri_Rein Member AMS2 Club Member

by my count they gave 65 quintillions. with 175 tracks and 190 cars. I can be wrong. and climate and dates gave 184 octillion

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

I have noticed that before the latest revisions, you could feel the loading up on the ffb when cornering to the point where you felt the car begin to lose grip. Unfortunatly that loading up feeling seems to be missing i think?
    I'm not good at explaining this stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1