1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 March 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 3, 2023.

1. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It's a game(engine limitation and therefor track design) issue for 100% sure. I tested with OpenXR with and without foveated rendering but also with SteamVR. I tested ALL Nvidia settings, ALL ingame settings, all different kind of resolutions, I tested ALL tweaks that I could find that COULD have influence on it like "NearZ" with every possible value(insanely low to way to high(gives other artifacts)), the vr sharpness tweak, with MSAA, without etc.etc.

I spend days on finding a way to solve it but it's IMPOSSIBLE, so I just saved you a lot of time if you wanted to try to find a way to solve it.

It's 100% sure in the game engine BUT with proper track design it could be avoided for 100% sure. Because not all object got flickering textures and it happens mostly to "very thin" objects with something close behind them. So if the track designer TEST the track first before releasing it, he can solve the flickering textures one by one for sure. There are also some tracks that almost don't have flickering textures and there are some tracks that got such a massive amount of flickering textures that it really ruins the immersion.

I'm not sure IF this issue is at the agenda of Reiza AT ALL. Because I never saw the commenting on this (IMO biggest VR) bug of AMS2. And that's really a sad thing because it's the biggest issue that I personally have with AMS2. It really ruins the experience.

I honestly believe that their beta testing is mainly done on 2D screens, because they also implemented extra "metal sparks" in a previous update a while ago and those sparks simply don't render correctly at all in VR. On one eye the metal sparks are rendered a couple of meters away/differently compared to the other eye. It's 100% bugged, but never hotfixed after the release. So for that reason I think that the Reiza developers don't have a high res VR HMD for beta-testing/bughunting before release sadly enough... Maybe some day...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. blanes

blanes Member

We are off topic a little but, all things considered, I believe the VR implementation is really good. Though I do wish we did not have to turn on parallel projection in pimax settings (no longer req'd in rF2) I do see some shimmering in my 8KX but I thought it was not very significant and maybe I just got used to it.

I run 16x Anisotropic with Medium AA (4x) with texture quality High and power at prefer max in Nvidia cp and feel that helps.

3. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes the VR implementation is VERY good(I would even say "the best!" together with DR2), so I think that you 100% misunderstood me here. That I'm disliking the VR performance of AMS2 and that's absolutely not the case here. I'm talking about a very specific issue here! Not the overall VR experience. AMS2 is my favorite VR sim racing title by far in almost every aspect and especially VR. So I'm not sure why you're disliking my post here??

The issue that I stated is true for all VR users(some are irritated by it, some not(you?)) and it IS solvable and when that issue is solved the image will just be way more stable around all tracks. The flickering textures and misaligned/wrongly rendered metal sparks in VR(in 2D this does not happen!) are just ruining the immersion.

Now you have great tracks with minor texture flickering like Adelaide for example, but also tracks with MASSIVE texture flickering like Long Beach and tracks in between like the historic Bathurst. It would be amazing if everything simply looks good and those textures bugs are fixed, if I had the chance then I would even fix all those tracks for free, I've designed game maps before so maybe I could even do it but of course I've got zero experience with the Madness Engine. I'm certain that it could be solved by changing the thin subjects to some thicker meshes or by changing some other small variables on the bugged textures/objects.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO

WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO Active Member

And then we're going to have the DLC today on this injured Friday in Brazil on the Nurbugring 1928 track.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO

Come at me

Attached Files:

7. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

DR2 VR performance with Reverb G2 is catastrophically bad. I could only run low graphics settings with my OC 3090. Now I can run High with my OC 4090.

8. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Any chance that this might help?
    Reddit - Dive into anything

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. blanes

blanes Member

@TurboHenk - Oops sorry my bad meant to click agree. On my phone screen fingers too fat & clicked wrong icon, now fixed.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO

Update??? flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Amanhã ou domingo

no Twitter eles falaram q ia ser esse fim de semana

e isso se não adiarem

• Like Like x 1
  12. MJV_1973

MJV_1973 finnish ed AMS2 Club Member

Wallacella ei ole kaikki muumit kotona!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

No ei oo joo, eikä taida hissikään mennä ihan yläkertaan asti.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Agree Agree x 14
  15. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Renato Simioni
    please release or forum goes nuts and there will only be [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO

I'm freaking out here

17. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I suspect the VR performance is only good in ams2 because it was good in pc2. Otherwise reiza have not touched the graphics of ams2. They could have improved the anti aliasing, improved the darkness of the night sky, improved the post processing or added fsr/dlss etc, but there has been zero improvements in graphics.

Correct me if im wrong, but i believe the version of openvr that ams2 uses is absolutely ancient or something.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Patience my friends... We're already 21 days off schedule, 1-2 more isn't that big of a deal.

UxREcFThpSEqk.gif

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I had issues with the Steam VR implementation on DR2.0 before the Oculus SDK released. Maybe check your resolution/super sampling settings. Steam VR kept forcing the render resolution to 2-3x. I'm not sure if it's just bad optimization or Steam VR underestimating how intensive the game is.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There's two things I'd like to be improve in AMS2:
    - Own car reflected in mirrors. In VR its asbolutely immersion braking when no part of the car can be seen behind
    - Some storm clouds move at a crazy pace. Its the same in PC2. Can't we get rid of them? They are very low and move like 5000 km/h while at the same time rotating. Just delete them or make the texture transparent or smth.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1