1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 March 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 3, 2023.

1. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Great update! Really looking forward to the following two things:

This is indeed very nice news for VR users! Will more tracks follow that also suffer from rotating 2D trees be updated with 3D trees in the immediate trackside surroundings? In my mind comes up: Imola(as bad as Bathurst), Monza, Oulton Park, Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park(last corners, really bad), Hockenheim Historic. Where it would be nice to have is in Ibarra(middle of the track trees). In the Nürburgring there are places where it would be very nice too but I can imagine that this track could be a lot of work and that it could be seen as diminishing returns.

Even higher priority is for me the flickering issue in VR: All "thin" objects in tracks always flicker in the distance in VR. This is not shadow flickering, but objects that flicker at 300+ meter distance, when you come closer they stop flickering. Like for example most road side signs where something is behind it (like fenches or stairs or tires) always flicker in the distance. I think that if all those meshes were simply made "thicker" by the track designer, that this issue is solved(I could be wrong, you guys know it better). But it is solvable because it doesn't apply to all road objects/road signs, it happens to ~15% of them and that's REALLY distracting in VR. Even much worse than the 2D trees for me. Even after upgrading to a 4090 and running the Reverb G2 at 3400x3400px + 8xMSAA and all other possible Nvidia tweaks, this still happens(I tested ALL settings/tweaks). And this only happens in Automobilista 2 with those kind of objects, in RF2/AC etc. this doesn't happen at all. This is for me the biggest issue with the AMS2 VR experience and I think that it's purely track design. All those objects must be updated to fix it. Why? Because there are tracks that don't really suffer from this issue at all. So it's fixable for sure by making some changes to those flickering objects. And to my knowledge: this only happens in VR.

This is also GREAT news if I understand it correctly: Does this mean that the major issue of not being able to join after that there is "2 mins or less left" at the quali(which is in fact 2mins+3mins for last lap+2min for race ready=7mins.) will be fixed? So that we can join until the race really start(and those last joiners are starting at the end of the grid)? That this will be the new default setting for this? That would be amazing for the multiplayer experience for sure! It's actually my most wanted feature for MP.. because every single day that I try to join a lobby this issue occurs.

Thank you for all the amazing work @the whole dev team. This sim is already the best in my opinion and is getting better with every single update. It's really impressive how far you guys have come since the start of the development.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Crimson, is it on the agenda to add pit exit penalties to the custom championship mode? I cross over it all the time and have not once triggered a penalty.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. lunamoon

lunamoon Active Member

Can we expect more major developments on the physics of the game this year? just wondering if that's on the schedule now that the physics team is bigger. Besides multiplayer stability, that's the one thing me and my group of friends are waiting for to jump back in :)

Aside from that, congrats on another monthly update - it's great to see more quality historical content added into the game. Looking forward to trying the new car too!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You missed the whole point... read my post carefully. I said "experience" or "suggestions", he had neither, so it's pure waste of time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

We have to be aware that the Official Reiza Studios Forums are generally a pretty decent place to be in for a gaming forum. There are plenty of examples that are "disturbing" in comparison but we aim to have it more civil and enjoyable at this place.

(In any case critique and hints towards issues are welcome and needed though, as long as it doesn't turn into demoralizing and hostile attitude like mentioned)

Btw. reading Relic gives me an itch to launch Homeworld Remastered again, i can just recommend it if you are into RTS! :D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Please, support your vague statement with some real useable info. What is actually wrong with the physics? What are you exactly expecting? How can anyone take this feedback seriously without clear repeatable example or clear requirements....

• Disagree x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Creative x 1
  7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

We have some things in the pipeline, yes :)

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I fully agree with this. Even while I like to have even further improvements on the physics(so I'm happy with CrimsonEminence answer) I really think that AMS2 has at this moment (for sure "one of") the best physics . I think that we're now on a level where it's simply "what you're used to", AC/iRacing/rF2/ACC all feel different and it's about what you prefer/what you're used to.

But TO ME personally: AMS2 is the best regarding physics, handling and especially ffb. It feels the most real/believable to me, especially when combined with bass shakers. So I really hope that AMS2 won't "downgrade" to the physics of the old AC for example. This would really ruin the game for me.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Maybe we can hope for the Mercedes Benz Challenge and the turismo Nacional BR...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Good news about the addition of 3D trees around the immediate ‘just over the wall’ vicinity being added.
    I’ve noticed it being an issue in VR, especially when trees overhang the track in real life, like at Adelaide in the first and last sectors.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

As Reiza obviously has the license for Nürburgring, it would be cool to see the old GP-layout, with the fast chicane after start/finish and without this slow infield in sector 1. :whistle:

• Agree x 6
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  12. Renan G Flores

Renan G Flores Active Member

Sorry I'm late. Here you go, folks:

upload_2023-3-4_3-26-25.png

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Those are some of best games I have ever played, same for desert of karak (the prequel), great gameplay, lore and music...and can't wait for HW3 (even if looks like they removed the z axis).

Would be great if the guys in charge of this would open a thread here (better if read only or restricted) so we can follow the progress or give some feedback as community admins.
    Good news btw, and hope MP gets fixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GregzVR

Yeah I assumed the ‘Ring GP 2001 layout was also in the works. I’ve convinced myself that it was a part of the original plans when the current track was released. Perhaps it was never there in the notes.

I would love to have a Silverstone 1987-1990 version too, with a period lick of paint and kerbing.
    The 1975 version feels a bit too sparse, when driving 1980s cars on it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GregzVR

“… but that have since been sorted for the upcoming update - these include fixing the issues with customized drivers disappearinng…”

Genuinely hyped for the Bathurst ‘83, Formula Inter, classic Nords and 3D trees news, but being selfish for a moment, this is the number one news item for me at this moment! 1986 & 1988 fully-skinned grid GP races here I come! :D
    The era I fully fell in love with F1 as a pre-teen in 1985.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Spacekid

Spacekid Member AMS2 Club Member

@CrimsonEminence When can we expect the release candidate?

Grüße aus OWL. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SonicSabre

SonicSabre Member

I'm really excited for 3D trees. The rotating trees in VR is so immersion breaking. A lot more tracks need these for sure. But to appeal to all hardware configurations, maybe there should be a graphics option for Tree Quality which can enable or disable 3D trees.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

It's exciting to see that Reiza are pushing forwards with the outlook that they may have to do some heavy lifting on the MP side to get it up to scratch...

But the Sudschleife announcement... I'm still in shock and awe...

:hurrayreiza::hurrayreiza::hurrayreiza::hurrayreiza::hurrayreiza::hurrayreiza::hurrayreiza::hurrayreiza::hurrayreiza::hurrayreiza:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

i think that kind of assets has to be placed in the big track object directly. Either/or. Not done by code.
    So in this case maybe there is the need to save a track twice.
    Too much effort and too much disk space.
    People have to accept that future is a look forward, though they want to play with Pentium 4 computers if possible ;)
    You can't always take care of lowest specs. Some technologies won't work.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. pederl

pederl New Member AMS2 Club Member

And...
    “Pretty please with sugar on top, make the ****ing Road Atlanta.” -Wolf.

• Agree Agree x 1