1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 May 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Only open world games have global illumination ? I thought it can be made for literally any game. I think the lighting in the game is fine but what does open world and non-open world have to do with it ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. TomLehockySVK

Would be nice to have the tire barries be actual tires instead of concrete textured like tires. And if more bits of cars would fly off then that should also result in a Safety Car or at least Virtual Safety Car situation depending on the racing series.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

I am probably going to be buried for saying this, but I think AMS2 (and in fact almost any other simracing titles) have huge improvement margins in the graphic compartment.
    What is missing, in my opinion, is a truly realistic shadows depth, reflections, lighting.
    Don't get me wrong, AMS2 looks fantastic, but in none of the screenshots I thought it is a real photo from a real racing event.
    These two instead. ......
    Screenshot_2024-03-11-19-40-55-914_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-11-19-27-55-779_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bernd18995

Bernd18995 Member

Afaik the things that benefit most from global illumination are smaller objects that get grounded into the world by receiving small shadow details beneath them.
    F.e. a bottle on a table or a tables legs.

While im the last one that is opposed to new shiny stuff, id rather see improvements to shadow resolution or texture resolution over a lighting overhaul.
    Heck, id even consider raytraced reflections as a more important thing, since the quality/resolution of the in car mirrors leave a bit to be desired.

5. TomLehockySVK

Yes those shadows are really terrible regardless of what quality you set.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tsumo

tsumo New Member

I believe you may be thinking of ambient occlusion. Global illumination has most benefit in large areas with colored surfaces, for a relevant example; a white car in a forest will have a slight green tint from the light bouncing off all the foliage, even if it has a matte finish.
    GI is definitely one of my favorite graphical enhancements but it can be pretty performance intensive and appears to be quite the hassle to implement at the best of times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. TomLehockySVK

Those two pictures are extremely low resolution and that stuff can easily hide imperfections. Here let me show you the same result just making a picture low resolution.
    20240813172444_1 – kópia – kópia.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TomLehockySVK

As mentioned above you are instead describing Ambient Occlusion.
    Ambient-Occlusion-HBAO.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

I think this forum will be going long after development stops. It's one of AMS2's best features!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Xenix74

Xenix74 Member

Can you still remember the presentation of the first Ray cards?

Kunos with a big chest showed pictures of ACC with ray tracing.

As far as I know, it is still not available today and there has been no comment from Kunos about it.

I think in the end you had to realize that this was far too optimistic and that it was far from worth the loss of performance in a simulation. Of course, ray tracing looks incredibly good, but not when it eats up 50% of the performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. squalles

squalles New Member

i don´t use VR, running in just one monitor, but i´m using msaa mid (i think this are msaa 4x)

12. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

i can't say i wouldn't like it as an option. 50% of the performance in AMS2 would still be 100 fps for me on a single screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You do realize that every individual tire barrier tire modelled (the physics), every 3D tree, every deformable object, every movable object on a track decreases performance, right?

A more reasonable prospect is to have a continuous tire barrier "wall" have deformable physics properties (and perhaps nothing extra visually or movable), but even that costs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. TomLehockySVK

Race Driver GRID released 16 years ago and had that even on consoles. In today's day and age i am SURE that PCs are powerful enough to handle moving objects on a track that are more than just a few traffic cones without causing a blue screen of death just because a few tires moved.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. depapier

depapier Member

Honestly, better antiaaliasing and/or fsr/dlss would be first tech things on my wishlist for Ams2. Built in foveated rendering for Vr would be absolutely incredible as well but I don't even know which vr game has it implemented first party, so.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I
    I am so much with you

but knowing aliasing is a serious weakness of the madness engine I am very doubtful it will happen

same with VR features tbh

• Like Like x 1
  17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You're obviously an expert on this and the people tirelessly working to limit these elements for performance preservation purposes are all wasting their time. Let's all vote for full 3D trees for the entire Nordschleife forest and see what happens :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. depapier

depapier Member

I get it, and I know that rendering engineers are expensive, but realistically there is no such thing as hard limitations in software development. Everything can be developed, just a matter of time and cost. And while I know Reiza are kinda pinched on graphics dev front, still a wishlist is a wishlist.

Anyway, this reminded me of how weird the vr experience is on GT7 - overall its all very nice at first, but after PC you start noticing little problems (camera position is not ideal in many cars, can't change), absence of quality of life features (no recenter option without going to menu or passthrough on/off, no seat position options at all) and optimization tricks (limited long camera lens to narrow the field of view results in hilarious aberrations like Eau Rouge and similar turns in vr look like steep mountains rather than inclined roads due to perspective compression) which become annoying. Also really really blurry past 50 meters. And I'm not sure, but probably running at 60fps with reprojection. Coming back to AMS2 the only really annoying thing in vr is antialiasing and it's massive hit on performance if set to high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ShelbyRacing74

ShelbyRacing74 New Member

It's interesting to see where the discussion for a game is heading. The update will come. Don't worry. When they're ready, they'll release it immediately. They're under time pressure themselves, but they can't do magic.

20. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I have recently bought a 2nd hand VR headset named arpara 5k

it was a Chinese stuff crowd funded of some sort that apparently ripped off bakers but made it to Japan where I live

I have been a VR user with a Q2 then a pico neo3link before , both having the same sub 2000pixel per eye resolution

the arpara has a micro oled display with 2560p per eye resolution and the aliasing is less noticeable
    Not great but clearly better

my point is that yes I am hopeful Reiza devs could improve the madness engine in this long awaited update but we should also think what the hardware can bring us in this Game in VR

My 2p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.