1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 May 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 31, 2024.

1. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd go as far to say that's one of the biggest root causes for the state of modern AAA games, especially so with sports titles.

Everyone expects devs to keep adding features at the same rate they did 20 years ago. This leads to publishers telling devs to focus on adding new content instead of polishing what's already there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I genuienly believe there is a total disconnect between what people THINK devs actually do and what they listen to, and what the devs are actually told to do by their boss and what they work on.
    It is kinda like how people often argument with "Of course the game released broken and early, because people complained so they rushed it and released the game earlier, for the people who wanted it earlier !" ... that is something that in the history of videogames has NEVER happened, nothing comes out sooner just because people on the internet cry about it.

It is the same with adding content, sure for many years now with the internet people can suggest what should or could be added and adjusted, but the final word is always by the people in charge and no matter what expectations people have. Take a look at "Dakar Desert Rally" as an example, people on the whole official Discord always kept repeating the same "devs, please STOP adding content and please fix X Y and Z feature that has been broken for 6+ months", and instead of fixing it, the devs just added new content instead, and now the game is more broken than it ever was.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. SRS13Rastus

SRS13Rastus Member AMS2 Club Member

I have to agree, emphatically too, Devs are human beings just like us, they too have lives to lead.
    Which is better for them, their families, the company itself and, as a by product, us the gamers?
    Devs without the crunch (or at least one not as horrendous as we've heard of elsewhere) able to work only with the pressure of getting it right and improving the product?
    Or. Flogged into oblivion to satisfy shareholders and management "timescales", leading to possible burnout, mistakes, and a lot more narked off players who'll desert the game in droves?

Couldn't agree more, we've seen games explode in size and therefore complexity, why else are some complaining about games sizes hitting 100-150GB plus?
    I'm mean, stop and think about it....
    Race Driver Grid was 10.08GB in 2008. (2008 BAFTA "Sports game award" v Fifa and PES)
    Grid Autosport was 15.8GB in 2014. (78% positive gamer reviews)
    Project Cars was 21.5GB in 2015. (79% positive)
    Project Cars 2 was 50.44GB in 2017. (80% positive)
    GRID was 77.16GB in 2019. (69% positive)
    Project Cars 3 was 50GB in 2020. (53% positive)
    AMS2 has grown to 115GB required today. (92.26% positive)
    Forza Motorsport 116GB in 2023. (42.13% positive)

In another context GTA5 had an estimated 100 million lines of code in it's 120GB.
    I hate to think how many lines of code are in the just the madness engine alone, could be just 1% of the total and yet that'd STILL be in the region of a million lines of code. I've no idea, I'm no game developer....
    Reiza poked through them to correct just 6 lines though...

Which of those games above have or in the past had those "strict deadlines" and which doesn't?
    Which of those has taken the time to comb the game engine itself for flaws?
    Which have routinely abandoned games in favour of the "SequAL" (as per Antwan in "Freeguy")?

Yet because the "relative simplicity" allowed for such rapid updates 16-20 years ago?
    Now the execs STILL expect the same update cadence, despite some "modern" game updates which are often half the size of the entire games we got just 16 years ago.
    Through those "expectations", us gamers have been encouraged to expect it as "the norm".

You then get 100's of devs stressed to hell and back trying and often failing to meet these older deadlines, ever heard of the phrase "Too many cooks spoil the broth" anyone?
    The news that MS has a 18 month on 6 month off policy to those devs working on their games.
    All to save money by legally avoiding more meaningful workers rights or giving them any sense of job security and any sense of completion to the workforce.
    Because of these assumptions we then have the devs getting crucified by shareholders, denied workers rights then fired, constantly harangued by management to meet the deadline all the time, then lambasted by gamers.
    Most of whom have no interest in understanding the ever increasing complexity at hand for the devs.
    Whilst Reiza aided 2 of their devs stuck on either side of a war, to get to safety after they created the Formula Ultimate gen 1 model into the game!

• Like Like x 10
  4. harizrushdi

harizrushdi Wiki Helper

Interesting, do you remember when Ian Bell said this?

5. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

What a fantastic post - so interesting to point out these game sizes.
    I have two questions - what is the story about the devs (who made the Formula Ultimate Gen 1)? I have not heard about this and if it is something someone is willing to talk about i'd love to hear more.
    Second question is do we think Turn 10 can just find that pesky 1GB to delete that's ruining their game quality?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Christian Wojk

Christian Wojk Penito Grande AMS2 Club Member

To this day I still laugh about the Jimmy situation.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. SRS13Rastus

Couldn't find the direct quote but this was flagged when I was trying to hunt it down...
    x.com

@YOUNG IL YOON LOL just spent ages searching for this but you got there 1st GG :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

As if the 3D modelers could fix the code. Jesus christ.

Also, DLC was sold and had to be produced AND it was late. Loud voices in the community cant overrule that. This is not a difficult concept to grasp.

10. harizrushdi

harizrushdi Wiki Helper

Thanks. Bit of a shame Straight4 had to make its own engine "Hadron" just while Madness engine is showing its true potential, but I can understand why, legalities and all that

• Like Like x 1
  11. Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis Active Member

I'd settle for 1) being able to race the AI in changable weather 2) the F1 cars obeying blue flags and 3) the AI not all leaving the pits at the same time to qualify and tripping over each other.
    We live in hope.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. SRS13Rastus

SMS sold out to Codies and then Codies sold out to EA.
    Bell had history with EA firing him after NFS shift 1 & 2.
    He "Left" SMS not long after that Codies/EA deal went through.
    Followed not long after by Codies CEO and CFO.
    After all between the 3 they ruined 3 or 4 IP's EA just paid a fortune for.
    AFAIK the madness engine is now owned by EA as they got the IP from SMS and Codies.
    Reiza's deal predates both developer sales..
    Plus they've got in depth high level access permissions to the game engine.

• Informative Informative x 6
  13. Jason Bradshaw

Jason Bradshaw Member

Makes me wonder what the F1 game would be like using the madness engine. EA's engine is so out of date now and theyve got access to this engine under their noses...ridiculous

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Kartu14

Kartu14 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

LMU crash, crash, crash again...
    All my hope for a great Sim are as always in AMS2...
    I would like to dream about a part 2 with a lot a fresh good and sweet surprise... :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Iuri_Rein

Iuri_Rein Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Guys, I need videos of criticism and praise for ams2, I'm producing a trailer.
    I need your help.
    Until the minute, if you have any help.

16. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

You can take any video of mine and use it. My reviews of updates are probably the best place to find praise and maybe some criticism in my latest videos

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Iuri_Rein

send your channel please

18. Iuri_Rein

I thought

19. Champrt78

Champrt78 Member

Would be great if weather in VR didn't kill fps.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. harizrushdi

harizrushdi Wiki Helper

Interesting, do their permissions include assets as well, or just the code?