1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 November 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Thanks a lot, i will try.

• Like Like x 1
  2. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's actually pitch that happens as a consequence of longitudinal weight transfer. Weight transfer is invisible and cannot be minimized except by lowering the centre of gravity height.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Quite often more rear damper rebound works as well.

4. Robert Gerke

Robert Gerke Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Wow, honest respect for Renato. Even I, who consider myself a "critic" of MP mode, must now feel caught :)

I don't know anyone who, after 3 years of development, still expresses themselves so precisely, in detail and openly about these things and situations! Great recognition!

I'm now trying to increase my hope that I'll experience a big surprise and that the 5 most important missing features will somehow be implemented in 2024 :)

Thank you anyway for everything up to this point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Robert Gerke

Robert Gerke Active Member AMS2 Club Member

6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Conserning this weight transfer thing then GamerMuscles postulate in his latest AMS2 video is that instead of weight transfer AMS2 does "simulate" this by just change the grip balance from rear to front instead.
    I dont know if he is correct but it is an interesting idea/oppinion.

ByTheWay: If he is correct we could call it poor mans weight transfer "simulation".:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 2FAST

2FAST New Member

So would this mean that AMS2 "simulates" weight transfer when cornering also, by changing the grip level per side ?

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

It is not an algorithm. Each vehicle has a chassis with weight/mass. Each wheel and tire are individually simulated along with the suspension connecting them to the vehicle. When you turn, accelerate or brake the simulation engine accounts for all the effects on all of these systems and how they interact and ultimately affect grip. It's still a simulation, but very sophisticated.

You can ignore anything physics or driving-related if it's from that certain YT influencer. Just enjoy the humour and pay no attention to the serious parts ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. McClutch

I think the main "problem" with all racing sims currently is that the simulation translates into a much to clean driving experience.
    Particularly high speed driving (>230) on Sections like Nordschleife "Döttinger Höhe" or Flugplatz Schwedenkreuz tend to slighty unsettle the car a bit all the time making micro corrections necessary all the time. In Sims all sims its a bit to much like what is often decribed as "driving on rails".

Real tracks and roads simply have much more imperfections.

10. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

There are serious parts? I must have missed them.

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

May I point you to F3 classic tracks on AC by Sergio Loro...

(This turns into a small rant, sorry about that.)

Honestly tho, I've never understood people saying car X drives like it's on rails. Because everytime I go try that car, I hit every inch of armco around the track. Every car can feel hooked up within it's limits, but until you know where that limit is it's anything but. Once you find the limits though, and understand how not to push them, almost anything can be easy to drive. (See the 1987 Cup Car in Iracing as a example.)

For me, the biggest difference between sims right now is how the car reacts when you hit this limit and how they act under yaw. (Not to be confused with slip angle, which is the optimal amount of yaw in a corner to go fast with X car and Y tire combo)

For example, on Iracing's older tire model, when you hit the limit of what the car/tires could do, you just lost all traction and crashed. (and then would only get that traction back by stopping to let the tires cool for a significantly amount of time) There was no slip angle, as the game didn't allow for any yaw what so ever. You literally had to drive these cars as if they were on rails because if you didn't you would lose stupid amounts of time.

On their newer tire model, "Most" (but not all) cars have a tiny little window of playroom where you can still go fast and slide the car agressively through turns with a tiny bit of yaw. The problem is (as you've mentioned) you cannot feel when you're at this limit like you could in a real car, even with a DD wheel. So you have to rely on other aspects like sound or in my case, VR and actively seeing the car move off axis to know what the hell is happening. Iracing is moving in the right direction in this regard, but if I can't tell on a flat screen through visual or FFB that the car is about to lose traction, that's a problem in my mind. (Even if it might techically be more realistic.)

Then compare that to AMS 2, which allows for more yaw than most games. This gives people who are hyper fixated on sounds or some other other ques false positives that their car is sliding when in truth they haven't even started rotating on throttle. They step on the gas, the car rotates and points into the apex, and now they're confused and come to and claim the car feels "slidey", when in truth they just aren't used to how agressively you can drive in AMS 2 vs other games. Throw in how different a track can feel with Live Track, weather conditions, how much dirt has been pulled onto the track by other cars, and how the tire's themselves dynamically build up heat and then lose it again and AMS 2 feels anything but on rails. It feels dynamic and alive at least 95% of the time, even on the smoothest (or bumpiest) of tracks.

The odd thing is, looking back I experanced the same thing when I started sim racing although I didn't know how to describe it so well. I grew up playing GT Legends (A slide = Die game) and Live for Speed S2 (A Slide = Speed game). Jumping back and forth between the two then (and today still) is the differance of driving style is insane. I used to do all sorts of drifting and drove super agressively in LFS only to stuff a C3 Vette into the wall at Nurb GP because I looked in the vague direction of the throttle a moment too soon.

Same thing happened with I moved to Iracing. I was struggling in RUF Cup C class, because I could race great for the first 12 minutes or so, but then I would make a small mistake, slide the car a bit, and from that point on it was race over with me falling back into the clutches of the rest of the field. Got into IMSA B class, same thing. Car just would never let me drive it, because it was "on rails".

Now, (Thanks to COVID and real racing drivers being forced to play these games because of it,) we're as sim racers waking up the idea our cars have been much harder to drive than the real thing for decades now. In that regard, AMS 2 has lead the charge, intentionally or not. Now with 1.5, the phyisics are the best they've ever been and in my opinion the best in sim racing at the moment. It's a game that lets you drive agressively by feel and by visual instead of by sound, stupid setups that game the physic engine (looking at you ACC) or a extra crutch like VR or a butt kicker.

Okay, rant over...

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. McClutch

I should have made clearer that i meant the REAL sections in a real car on the REAL tracks cars going 230+ not comparing a sim to a sim.

13. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

LOL, My bad...