1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 October 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Elcid43

Elcid43 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I guess a lot of people don't get that it's far easier to not get hopes up by constantly overpromising. Not ready, no big deal, just don't hype it up and then shoot yourself in the foot again. It makes you look unprofessional and becomes a running joke to detractors of the game. Also, do you think it is at all possible that people who make deals for licencences for content might see things like this as a negative?

Everybody gets it that things come up and delays happen, what everybody doesn't get is empty promises.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

While I get and agree with the criticism about announcing things in advance and then not delivering in time being a bad look and something to be avoided if at all possible, some of you should understand the fact that announcing an article and taking a couple of extra days to publish it is not in any way failing a commitment to you - you don´t buy dev updates and it´s not owed to anyone, it´s something I write in my own time, and if a bit of material happens to arrive later than expected or if I´m not happy with the result for whatever reason I will not post it until I am, even if it leads to a bad look. I can live with that, and you should all learn to as well.

• Winner x 22
    • Agree x 15
    • Like x 7
    • Friendly x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Fortunately this stubborn streak is also applied to the content and quality of AMS 2 (and AMS 1 back in the day) and it's why we have the unique products from Reiza that we do, even if it sometimes takes a while to get there.

It can be a bit jarring when one is used to corporately-massaged communications, but thank goodness there is at least one sim developer who can speak to its customers in plain language and who does not answer to a corporate over-seer, owner, or shareholder. Q4 2022 has been a very vivid example of how those situations can and often do play out to the disbenefit of the entire sim racing community!

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Elcid43

Elcid43 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

With respect, that is your choice. I will also keep my mouth shut from now on when on other other sites and people are harping on AMS2 and not defend anything anymore. All the best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Marg

Marg Active Member

thanks for upcoming update! have no any problems with deadlines etc... but with all these classic F1 cars I really expect 9-6-4-3-2-1 point system added in championship mode. It should not be that hard.
    P.S. I also hope for a few CART street tracks more in the future, but that takes time... and older version of Azure (1988).

6. Renato Simioni

It is indeed my choice - it´s one of the perks of owning your own business, to balance out all the headaches and responsibilities that come with it :p

Look you´ve posted your opinion, and I´ve replied with my view on it - if you expect pandering in order to justify your support you came to the wrong place. Some of you really need to understand Reiza is a small boutique shop and its qualities and shortcomings very much reflect that of its owner - it´s not a corporation you´re going to push into changing its ways by constant moaning about it. I just spent the thick of my Christmas holiday working on this article because I care about the quality of our output more than I care about making deadlines, it´s an ethos that´s very much reflected in how we handle everything else. I´m fine with jokes and criticism about it, but when folks start acting as though they´re entitled to something I produce in my time for free, that´s where I´m going to start draw the line and explain the simple facts of life in more clearcut manner.

• Winner x 22
    • Agree x 11
    • Like x 6
    • Friendly x 6
    • Informative x 1
  7. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you Renato and Reiza team for your hard work and excellent product. Can’t wait to try out all the cool things you wrote in todays dev update!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

First of all, thanks for the amazing update. Can't wait to try all the new goodness!

One suggestion (and I'm sure you've already thought this through) is to allow to create the event presets by users too as we could then cover some scenarios that are too niche to be considered as global release.

With regards to the missing deadlines I think we'll all benefit from having any deadlines. Just post the stuff when it's ready without saying it'll be posted/released on such and such day. A lot of smaller development companies do that and are not exposed to the angry mob (that much at least) as there's no reason to fuel the aggression/disappointment by being "late".

I totally appreciate the fact that you're here on this forum and interact with the public and hope this won't deteriorate in the future. Keep it up guys :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, i agree on that, dont hint to anything thats coming, as happened now in the forum and shortly after that on social media, by doing that you create sort of a hype, and surely people will get upset/annoyed after a couple days, which in (probably) most cases is because we like your product a lot, when something is said to be coming we are all over it like flies on a pile of cow dung :p

10. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I like hype even if some deadlines could be missed… :D:)

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Same here :D

12. Gary_S

Gary_S Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I guess we have different views and a different set of standards. It's entirely your choice to say you'll deliver and then not deliver. But you'd be silly to think this doesn't do severe harm to your reputation and that of Reiza. A quick look in some discord servers will validate that. Please see this as friendly advice. I would suggest not ever mentioning a self imposed deadline, if the material is not ready...and I mean fully ready.
    I really like AMS2 and the majority of my YouTube content covers AMS2 also.
    I am really looking forward to the future updates and dlc. And I wish you and Reiza devs the very best.

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The king <3

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TRCB

TRCB Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry to be offtopic again but to answer your question "sort off".. what was actually going wrong here was i was sitting instead of standing on the pegs in the dirt, went into a very slippery corner (soft sand on concrete) sitting, recipe for disaster,

the preceding ~80km of dirt was very stressful, dozens of kangaroos jumping across my path including hitting one of them in a VERY lucky way that he hit the bike mid section (bashplate) and not front wheel and he didn't throw me off the bike.. so at this point in the fall video I was exhausted and not paying attention.. motorcycling is extremely unforgiving on lack of attention.. ;)

poor little guy you can here the "plink" as he connected with my bashplate..

that is excerpt from the full video here (nice bit of road by the way)

15. Renato Simioni

Gary with all due respect that you certainly warrant and without wishing to extend this further as we’ve gone over this already - it does not cause substantial harm at all. The people in this forum or Dircord add up to a very tiny sample of our user base - I can assure you the vast majority of our users aren’t even here, and most of them couldn’t care less about the dev update coming out a few days late.

You guys are some our biggest fans however, and the main reason why I agree failing schedules is to be avoided is that we don’t want to fail you - I’m not a good scheduler though and this will bleed out into the company every once in a while, but I like to think even the majority here know that if we are running late with whatever, it´s usually because we came to a late decision of packing a little more or making things a little better, at the expense of whatever the schedule is.

Now I fully understand other people’s standard will vary and it can be very jarring for them to deal with this attitude, but deal you must because it’s unlikely to never happen again - it’s baked in the cake over here. You’re welcome to criticise when it does and it’s warranted, but there’s no need to make it into a bigger thing than it is - I assure you the sun will still rise the next day.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
    • Winner x 16
    • Like x 15
    • Agree x 4
    • Friendly x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  16. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

The people who get antsy about deadlines obviously haven't worked within a developmental environment... And if they did would of been the most disliked person in the company...

And are very much a minority in terms of AMS2's user base...

Besides... It's far too late for Reiza to do anything about it... It's baked into the experience now... If you expect anything on time that's on you, not them...

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  17. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Enough said,now up to work.
    Don't keep the man from work, or the update will come at easter.:D

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gary_S

Gary_S Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I really respect your honesty here. And I understand that rather than being a sqweaky clean mind in terms of releasing news etc, it's a bit more on the side of controlled chaos...which for a small team is normal and good as it allows you to operate in a more dynamic way. I do understand and thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Friendly Friendly x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  19. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

As someone who runs a software company I'm not sure I would agree with this, saying that, I'm probably the most disliked person in the company :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

;)
    satmckeepljpg-ff1aa0e2aebb1ce0.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1