1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 October 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 28, 2022.

1. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

MP needs a lot of refinement before it could reliably host an event like the Indy 500. The pitstop bug still exists (I had it ruin a league race for me just last night), there are random disconnects or DQ's when the lobby gets over 25 people, broadcasting tools could use more/better features, etc. While I could see the license bringing in press for Reiza, with the current uproar over the iRacing event cancellation, it could potentially backfire if they did get it (not saying they did or didn't).

Edit: not to mention lobby count would need to be increased to at least 36.

Indy/IMS have shot themselves in the foot several times since the Penske acquisition. I know the engine debacle was in the works since at least 2018, but courting Porsche is to blame for their current situation. They should've focused on a new chassis before the new engine. While the IR-18 was a much-needed update, it's still the DW12, and it's still a 10-year-old chassis.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Senna calling Indycar to try and convince them in giving the license to Reiza

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Best take on this subject by far, and on top of it i do think variety is very important, i wouldn't probably ever cared about the japanene super GT if i wasn't introduced to their cars in gran turismo, i'm sure some ppl had similar experiences with other categories too.

So adding more categories is always a win in my book

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh boy i would dream to have half of those beauties in AMS 2, I love 90's and mid 2000's gt cars

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It wasn't just Porsche remember. It was Toyota, BMW, Ferrari/Alfa Romeo, and Porsche.

Indycar announces to the world, we want a "FAST AND LOUD" engine formula.

Honda was open to whatever formula Indycar wanted, as long as its stayed a V6.
    Porsche and Chevy wanted hybrids
    BMW and Ferrari wanted V8's
    Alfa Romeo was sold to Fiat and withdrawn.
    Toyota's apparently wanted parady with their LMDH Hypercar specifically. (Details are still fuzzy.)
    There was also rumors of a indycar developed spec V8 or V12 that brands could then lease from indycar and put their badges on. Sort of like the Cosworth engines of the Champcar era.

So that's 3 brands that wanted a hybrid, Porsche, Toyota, Chevy
    2 brands that didn't BMW and Ferrari
    1 brand that didn't care. Honda
    And 1 or 2 backup plans should all the manufacturers fall out.

Then right as the decision was made to go hybrid, and the plans were starting to be drawn up on how to fit hybrid systems into a indycar, Porsche leaves to pursue F1.

Now it's 3 vs 2. Indycar makes the official announcement that their going hybrid. BMW leaves.

Now its Toyota and Ferrari as the could be's. Ferrari wants a V8 hybrid, Toyota wants the exact specs of the engine for their hypercar. Indycar goes with the 2.4L engines on the request of Honda and Chevy. Ferrari leaves.

Now its just Toyota, who was all but set to join indycar in 2024, but then they learn Chevy can't get the hybrid system to play nice with the new engine. So they bail out.

Now its just Honda and Chevy, and Chevy can't get their engine working, while the Honda is out making public test laps. They all agree to go back to the 2.2L motors and try to fit the hybrid systems on those engines.

And now its almost 2023, and indycar looks a tit.

• Informative Informative x 6
  7. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is not how I read the situation at all. I think it's reasonable to not have a generic version of a car in a game when you're talking with the licence holders of the actual version

Last race at Pocono: massive multi-car pileup on lap one the year after a fan-favorite driver lost his legs due to a massive lap one pileup at Pocono.

Last race at Fontana: very minimal fan attendance (due to the heat granted) and some very angry drivers. Looking back at it we got very lucky "only" the flip on the last lap happened.

Michigan: had constant low attendance at the end of its run and due to its similarity in terms of layout to Fontana would most likely encounter the same problems when it comes to racing as Fontana did.

Atlanta: it's a superspeedway now, no longer even remotely viable for Indycar

Las Vegas: we all know why.

Daytona and Talladega: come on, let's be real here. I wouldn't have added these but I didn't want to end this list on such a big downer.

That leaves only two others that may be considered Charlotte and Chicagoland. Would there be a place in the schedule where they would fit? Is there even a legal way to do that without breaching contracts? This isn't to start an argument, but to point out this is way more of a complex problem than you're letting on and how Indycar got in the place to begin with.

8. Racinglegend1234

Seems like the situation was very shambolic. I understand now why Indycar is a bit odd (the management).

9. Lucifer_sam

Honestly I have a hard time differentiating this from what I normally see online in terms of racing discourse. Which is a handful good points about the failings of an organization and then a bunch of stuff that seems a lot more reasonable when you think about business and stuff behind the scenes or are longing for the "good old days" and putting all of them together to make it look like the sport is "failing"

I see it with F1, I see with NASCAR, and I see it with Indycar. It's this type of doomerish discourse that have pushed me away from NASCAR and F1. Sometimes I feel like motorracings biggest detractors are the fans themselves.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Nope. Everyone is working hard to deliver the December update (to the game) as soon as is humanly possible.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Racinglegend1234

I believe it when I see it, but I have no doubt that you are true

12. Dylan Hale

The point I was trying to make is that it was a PR move that didn't go down well. WE on the fourm, know there's likely more to the story, the general population doesn't, and see the FUSA 2022 as yet another peice of promised content that never showed up because of licensing issues. (Like the Nissans and Aston martins)

Let's eliminate Vegas, Atlanta, Daytona, and Talladega, which are clearly not Indycar compatible. And Autoclub which is about to be destroyed, and Charlotte which would be a roval race.

That leaves Pocono, Michigan, Chicagoland, and Kentucky. All which are in prime indycar fanbase parts of the country.

Yes Pocono is dangerous but both drivers and fans love going there.

Indycar has never raced at MIS with it including the safer wall. That's probably as safe as that track is going to get, and it will be upto indycar to find a way to keep the cars on the ground.

Both Chicagoland and Kentucky don't have any race dates right now, and both have good safety records. Kentucky will need the same practice track treatment as Texas because of the PJ1 but its still doable.

The key to any of these races working though is super simple. They need to be in as cool a temps as possible. Look at gateway and Iowa. Fantastic night races, kinda crappy daytime events.

13. Lucifer_sam

An old friend of mine goes to Pocono sometimes. I've heard it's an awful fan experience compared to other racing venues.

14. Dylan Hale

Interesting, because my opinions were from 2018 ish, so they could have gone downhill. That or the Nascar owned tracks are offering up a lot of niceties

15. neal

neal Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

the irresistable force meets the immovable object.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Dylan Hale

I'm a 100% convinced it's motorsports games now. They've also restricted Iracing's ability to cover and broadcast the indycar races on their service..

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Racinglegend1234

At least the license could go back soon when MSG goes belly up

18. Dylan Hale

Nah, they found a investor, they'll be around for a few more years.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Racinglegend1234

Please tell me more

20. Dylan Hale

• Like Like x 2