1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

When people are critical here it is usually because they are passionate towards AMS2 and want to see it excel, go to rage department and it is usually because they are sh%$ting on AMS2 cos they think their favourite sim is superior.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. whokilledduncan

whokilledduncan Active Member AMS2 Club Member

"Realistic", regardless of a persons sim or real-life racing experience is still just a subjective point of view though, and does not necessarily equate to ultra-complex and PC resource intensive anyway. People thought (and still do think) the old Simbin games or even GP4 were realistic, and I doubt very much they were doing anywhere near as many calculations per second as modern sims. AMS1 was described as highly realistic by some real life drivers and as unrealistic by others. I personally used to race with a former real life group 5 driver who said AMS2 was mind-blowingly realistic and that ACC was just a toy. (This was a few years back now, and both games have received major updates since).

I've never played the game and very likely never will, but I read just last night reports of ACC CPU usage being very high when running more than about ten AI cars, the explanation being that the level of physics calculations becomes too much for our computers to handle as AI numbers increase. This is the point Marc was touching on. The discussion I found may well be outdated by now, and those who play ACC can no doubt test / confirm / deny the impact of higher AI counts.

I'd suggest that all proper sims are realistic. All will have some quirks and oddities, all will handle certain aspects better than others and different games will 'click' with different people, and the argument over which is most realistic will never be settled. For its part, AMS2 uses a more complex / resource intensive tyre model than most other games, hence why its AI has to use a simpler tyre model than the player car.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Active Member

I often drive ACC on the Nordschleife with 49 AI cars (maximum the game supports on the track) and of course it's heavy on the CPU, but not much more as in other racing sims.

Yes, AMS2 uses a complex tire mode, but personally (just my 2 cents) I don't feel like I get the best driving result from the game. Just like you said, a game has to "click" & from what I read, I'm certain that 1.6 will do me good and I will enjoy the driving experience a lot. The content will surely be great!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tiger_Feet

Tiger_Feet New Member

Hey Reiza, how's about and end of summer video.

Thank you please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sberla84

Sberla84 MotorSimItaly

I think we should just stop using the adjective "realistic". We should be rather using "convincing" , "plausible" or some other more nuanced adjective .Since we cannot get g forces through our body, it will never realistic but at least it can get close to it

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Ralonso

Ralonso Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I can totally confirm that: the AI is VERY "alive", when the player comes nearby:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mustafa

Mustafa New Member

From what I've seen the AI still doesn't try to overtake each other, what a pity it's very difficult to program a GP4 style AI? GP4 is over 20 years old and no one has been able to create a decent AI since then, a shame!
    upload_2024-9-21_9-1-28.png

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. DaveLew

DaveLew Member

I remember playing Race07 back in the day and believing it was the pinnacle of realism.
    And honestly it still holds up convincingly to this day. Some of the track meshes are a bit "how ya goin'" but otherwise it's good fun.

Honestly the fact I can watch onboard videos as reference for where to brake, where to turn, where to get on the power, etc. For pretty much any modern sim, goes to show how close they all are in their own different ways.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Are you referring to Ralonso's video?
    Please consider that this is not version 1.6. ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mustafa

Mustafa New Member

Good thing we have hope then lol! Thanks

11. Ralonso

Ralonso Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think, racing the AI in general is already very enjoyable in AMS2 as it is! I can't remember being in a fight with that intensity like shown in the video from above for a long time, against an AI in any other (modern) racing sim, so far.
    And as I said, Renato is a huge Jeoff Crammond fan, so he surely will have studied how the AI in Grand Prix4 is working and he certainly will insert the good things from it, in AMS2, too!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jojo Pagani

Jojo Pagani Active Member

Early ACC was terrible apparently. But Kunos could afford to focus on physics rather than on content. It is also a much more focused game with less content.
    I think the physics of AMS2 are great. But they are all spoiled by the extreme slip angle, that makes certain cars to feel simcadey and sometimes floaty. Luckily it seems they have fixed it

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. _Was

_Was Member

Grand Prix 2 Have the Best IA even better than GP4 and it s a game from 1996

14. Jojo Pagani

Jojo Pagani Active Member

Something that I miss in the single player experience is some evaluation of your safety.
    Because there is no accountability I am tempted to play dirty.

It would be great to have a report after the end of the race with all the incidents: collisions, road cuts, loss of control...

Some career apps like For The Win expects you to input the incidents but of course you have to keep mental notes of them while driving. Which is not ideal.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

Oh those were the times, I remember the 12 years old me fascinated with it, one of the reasons I love AMS 2 is because it somehow reminds me of GP2.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. _Was

_Was Member

Same Feeling:D

• Like Like x 2
  17. WIPIEN

WIPIEN Guest

@Renato Simioni I don't know if it is a secret or not but maybe you can tell me if GUI in a new update is more mouse friendly? I mean it sometimes not catch options in car setup menu. When I use keyboard or buttons on wheel this issue doesn't exist but with mouse is quite painful at the moment. I will be glad if you find time and can answer.
    Thank you in advance!

18. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The UI is still in development. Likely no such confirmations can be given as of yet.

19. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

It's no secret... Long standing issue.:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

While there is lots of work-in-progress at the moment, I still think we can share that Reiza is aware of the mouse click and scroll wheel bugs and are making an effort to make these aspects work better in the new GUI. I wouldn't expect a paradigm shift when it comes to UI interaction, since most of the control types remain the same as before, but in general there should be less jank. On release there might be some cases of "two steps forward, one step back" that will need to be fixed in a later update.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.