1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Not nice from you to enter my mind and expose it to everyone else... :whistle:

I don't agree.
    AMS2 is fantastic driven at 95% car's limits.
    On the limit, it fails in ways others just don't.
    Racing cars are driven on the limit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

One more in the almost endless list of reasons to never use that sort of "enhancement" feature that cause more problems than they solve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fatih

Fatih Active Member

Exactly. Did not recognize it until I switched to VR. Before it was not recognizable for me on Screen.

4. Fatih

Fatih Active Member

Yesterday I switched from another sim in VR into AMS2 in VR. Ams2 is another world. It is fantastic in VR. Everybody knows but I wanted to repeat it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

VR is fantastic. Its so immersive I had issues separating real life versus ingame. It felt so weird sitting on the couch while 5 minutes ago I was on Spa racing in a car.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Arconian

Arconian New Member

Is it me or I just tried the wrong VR gear? I always found VR absolutely terrible in terms of resolution and image quality in general. The best headset I've tried with AMS2 was Valve Index and I didn't enjoy the experience. Now the guy I leased the headset from has a Quest 3, will it be better? Should I give it another try?

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Fatih

Fatih Active Member

I play with Quest 3. I love it!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Flavio Engel

Flavio Engel Member

Definitely

9. squalles

squalles New Member

something about blue flag work correctly?

is very common here AI lost 10 or 15 seconds per lap because stay behind a blue flagged car

10. Les expos de mtl

Les expos de mtl Member

As I read throw this forum, is it possible that 1.6 be release from now to 7 october ? Or I just dream ?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Fatih

Fatih Active Member

Not official. We hope it comes out until then

12. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

It's not just you. No matter how you slice it, there are tradeoffs.
    Now, I must have tried all consumer headsets by now, and there are ginormous gains from simply better resolution, higher quality displays that improve contrast and saturation compared to some entry-level sets, and let's not forget the lenses either. Very big part of the whole experience.
    And then there's the viewing angles.
    Imo you should look to try the Meta Quest, should really be a nice step up in the visual department at least.
    I just don't quite get why the combined manufacturers can't seem to get a single set to market that just hits some crucial bases.
    So, not ridiculously expensive like a Pimax, decent res, decent viewing angle, reliable tracking of movement... Like, there's always something that needs work. A headset can't make it to market with a strap that's just torture after 10 mins or so of wear. And we should have basic camera tracking down by now for Pete's sake!
    I'm just waiting for the next "real" step up. That single product that's just the next Rift and sets the standard going forward.
    I'm not looking to spend big $ and be forced to contend with issues on top.
    I dunno who said it, must have been in some video somewhere but it was about visual fidelity. Dude said even a basic 1080p monitor looks tons crisper than any consumer VR headset currently.
    I know statements like that will get some people riled up, but I kind of agree.
    That said, personally I don't mind the downgraded visuals because I accept the tradeoff.
    To give an example in Flight Simulator; when I'm bushflying a Kodiak, following a river to a grass strip I'm gonna land on, that's VR.
    In a complex airliner where I'm mainly looking at displays? 4k monitor. The airliner will also be worse for frames usually so it also makes sense that way.
    And in Flight Simulator we can switch pancake/VR in-game, which is cool.
    It's just horses for courses.
    I enjoy the immersion and 3d depth of VR and accept it's shortcomings until tech moves along to where it looks like my 4k panel.
    I know there's people around that will insist their headset looks good, clear and hi-res enough never even think of gaming on a monitor again. I'm happy for them.
    But you should try (before you buy) higher-end sets and you'll very likely be surprised how much better things look compared to the Index.
    And not unlikely you'll land on using both headset and monitor going forward.
    It's all very personal in where your tolerance and preference are for visual clarity and what you can manage to compromise.
    Thing is when people first get into VR they've been bombarded with superlatives and it being the best invention since sliced bread, which led them to go and try it out.
    Tried an entry-level set and it don't look great, I get it.
    To me VR keeps feeling like this unfulfilled promise where it's never really quite there with the specs.
    We need a Pimax that's way smaller, and doesn't cost what it does atm, works reliably in every way and you can just pick up on Amazon with a Prime sale for $599.
    Until that happens game devs can just get away with zero to little VR support because they might lose 2% in sales.
    But you should give it another go with a set that's just higher res to begin with.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. J.Blum

J.Blum New Member

That's exactly what VR today is a set of compromises, right down to the adjustment of the headset, FOV, pixel density, resolution, FPS.
    We cannot take a VR headset today without having in mind that it will require a certain number of compromises, otherwise the disappointment will be enormous, and at the same time trying one will not represent the final result because it requires a lot of effort. hours of testing to find this compromise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

Your experience is going to be hugely dependent on how much computing horsepower you can throw at it. You can have the worlds greatest VR headset but if you don’t have the hardware to maximise it the experience will be compromised.

Someone with a 4080/4090 and a Quest 3 is quite probably getting a better experience than someone with a 3070 and a Pimax Crystal.

I went from a Quest 3 and a 3080 to a Quest 3 and a 4080 Super. Its a noticeably better and smoother experience. You can max out the resolution sliders at 90hz with very little compromise (if any) on settings for races that don’t require cars to use headlights. Night racing you have to dial it down a bit but you can still have a good experience.

If you’ve not experienced it recently on a decent spec system and only tried on older headset and lower spec kit it really has moved on quite a bit.

People will say Quest 3 has issues due to the lack of a displayport and yes thats not ideal. But run it wired with the bitrate turned up on a high end PC and it looks pretty damn good and those pancake lenses make a big difference.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis New Member

Yeah try it with the oculus tool tray it's almost like real life it's amazing.

16. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

Exactly. Since my two main interests is sim racing and flight sim, I for sure can see the huge immersion benefits and I will invest on VR in the future. I know I’m not an early adopter of new technologies, normally I find the cost too high and the need of compromise too elevated for my perspective and reality considering family, etc. I tend to patiently wait for new technologies to evolve and mature a bit. Cost wise there’s normally a steady drop after first few years of introduction of new technologies and steady competition tends to help best practices and technology to converge to best solutions with more cost effectiveness. I totally understand why VR is a game changer, and if I had a budget just for myself I would probably have already invested in VR. I’m happy for the customers that can invest and adopt this new technology and pioneer and help the technology move forward. But I try to keep a mid to long term view in perspective. I believe in 3 to 5 years from now I’ll be able to switch permanently to VR without having to create a hole in family budget, and by then VR platform will move on to much better experience, optimization and comfort for probable less than half the cost of today’s.

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

upload_2024-9-24_11-14-47.png
    A further follow-up to this post (from the first dev update thread) from Martin Brundle's SkyTV commentary of the Singapore F1 race this past weekend:
    • The current F1 standard for overtakes is that the front tires of the overtaking car must be ahead of the side mirrors of the car being overtaken to be able to claim the corner
    @neal @Jojo Pagani

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis New Member

Question to the more experienced. I was trying to get a bit more online action (sounds bad :-0 ) and it looks like the most popular / active lobby's are GT3 and so although i don't really enjoy driving those cars i have settled on the McLaren GT3 gen1 and i am practicing and hope to get to like it better. The question is i saw an open lobby yesterday with GT3 gen 2 but i cant find it in my list of cars. I pretty much have all the DLC's or so i thought. Is the GT3 gen 2 part of the game or is it a DLC (forgive my ignorance)

19. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

See if you have this one: Automobilista 2 - Endurance Pack Pt1 on Steam

20. GROVER-8-SRT

GROVER-8-SRT Member

I don't have VR but found this video from Suellio Almeida very interesting.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.