1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Yes VR is very immersive and it makes the experience of sitting in a car more real, but reality is still a different league. There are also some disadvantages with VR. The weight on your head, the sweating under the mask and it doesn't show the real hardware you have. So actually they are traveling blind and they have to remember or feel the controls and that breaks the immersion again. VR is great for sometimes enjoying full (visual) immersion, but the majority of the time I'm out and about without VR

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I have a special strap for comfort and after a few minutes forget i even wear a headset.
    I turn my AC on when doing VR so heat is never ever a problem.
    I have muscle memory for where i have everything placed so finding the right things is easy.

Sometimes i drive just on my 21:9 monitor if my eyes are too tired for VR but i do VR a majority of all my racing time because it has only upsides for me. Plus the fact on the monitor i run 76 FoV, while Quest 3 is 110 horizontal and looks amazing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GROVER-8-SRT

GROVER-8-SRT Member

It's a shame the tech isn't perfect yet. I wouldn't mind trying it (the best headset available) one day though.

4. Danielkart

No question, the visual immersion is the best thing you can have. But there are also disadvantages, for me personally it is not yet sophisticated enough to only move in VR. But of course it's also a matter of personal taste

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis New Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Harry_Harras

Harry_Harras New Member

Not to mention the fact, that a whole bunch of people cant move to VR because it makes them puke ;)

I will move to VR, when I can get a chip or smth in my brain :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Danielkart

I have 5 different wheels and now they each adjust to these changes in VR when they change the wheel. Absolutely terrible and always blindly looking at controls. It would be a blessing and a game changer if the simulation could visually display its wheel

8. Markus Fischböck

Markus Fischböck New Member

Does anyone know by any chance if the „hazy mirror“ issue has been addressed in 1.6? Not sure if you would be allowed to share it if you knew ;)
    Just had this recently again in an MP race. Especially for racecraft it’s inconvenient if you have to rejoin the qualify session…

9. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

Yep, this is definitely a problem.
    I would say though its another thing thats can be mitigated with a smoother experience using better kit.

My PSVR 1 had on a number of occasions made me sick as a dog. So much so that I was reluctant to try VR again, I’d done all sorts of things that caused motion sickness for other people and had been fine, with the PSVR 1 that was not the case.

With the Quest 3 I’ve not had a problem running sims either racing or flying. I needed a bit of adjustment on one of the first person games but that was fine after a couple of half our sessions.

So its another thing where if you’ve had a problem before try if you can to have another go on modern hardware. You may find it’s not as much of a problem with the right setup.

10. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

You can already do this you basically have part of the VR setup as pass through, you can see your controls but the rest of ghe view is VR.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Cruiser

Cruiser New Member AMS2 Club Member

I am running a Quest 3 with CPU 5800X3D and GPU RTX4090. Launching AM2 with openxr + open composite + Oculus Tray Tool. I can run stable between 100-120 FPS with mostly ultra setttings in AMS2 and it's always a pleasure to play in VR. I was testing a Pimax Crystal Light as well, but I found the Qust 3 much more comfortable (using custom strap) and also the clarity was not much better at lest for me, because the sweet spot was smaller in the Pimax.

12. Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis New Member

Yeah saw that from the flight sim guy on youtube

13. Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis New Member

Same intel i913 4090 quest pro and 90fps via openxr and Oculus tray tool - looks and feels amazing

14. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Fact is there is no "perfect" headset, you always compromise with something. The overhyped "Bigscreen beoyond" for example i heard from a friend has such awful godrays / lightstreaks that it is useless, they returned the headset just a few days later. And you do not need the most expensive VR to have a good VR experience, just like you do not have to buy the most expensive car to enjoy driving, or TV to enjoy watching.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Danielkart

Yes, I know that this already exists. But it's not yet fully developed and doesn't look particularly well integrated. It shakes and the edges and cutout are visible. It's a good start but there's still a long way to go

16. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

Regarding switching from a Quest 3 to a Pimax Crystal of some type I’ve heard this a few times. You don’t seem to be getting a huge upgrade for the money and you really miss the big sweet spot and the pancake lenses. I was tempted but decided to give it a miss.

17. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

There is a company that is doing it so that it allows you to create custom templates for hardware cutouts and stuff for better integration but can’t find that video.

I like that sense of being in the car and my brain id very easily conned into thinking the wheel in VR is the one I’m holding. I’ve got three wheels but I just leave the Simagic GT Neo attached unless I really need a round wheel.

I keep my wheel mappings across games as similar as I can and then use one of the big stream decks as a button box.so can do most things by feel.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried VR with a Quest2 and it was a pixelated mess no matter what I tried, plus was sweating and with awful nausea after just 2 laps at Interlagos. Same PC specs as now bar a 3070 instead of the 7900xt, so I could get it to maybe run a bit better now, but I dunno if it's worth spending the $ on a better headset with such a poor first experience.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Danielkart

If it's not your world to begin with, I would advise against it. There are people who get extreme motion sickness and sweating in the summer is no fun either. You always have to see both sides, the advantages and the disadvantages. It's best to test it yourself and then decide whether it suits you or not. Just like you did

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. kivipallur1

kivipallur1 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think that sweating is immersive as real drivers have it really hot under helmet as well. I never have tried driving sim on VR though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.